Login

russian armor

Arty spamming

16 Mar 2021, 13:47 PM

Is this a 3on3 or 4on4 thing? I never really experienced arti spamming in 2on2. In 2on2 there is some Arti but it can be countered.
16 Mar 2021, 13:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Indirect fire suffers from a critical weakness that is direct fire. You people who cry about opponent going for multiple static artillery pieces should for example try not sitting on your ass. You do realize this game has a balancing mechanic called pop cap which effectively means that investing in artillery means they for example cannot field as many tanks as you?

The issue is that this approach scales horribly with larger game modes due to map design.
Large modes have a ton of units and flanking is barely possible if at all. If you do not invest into arty yourself, the enemy can organize his defense with cheap mines and weapon teams. Their big weakness is flanking, which - you guessed it - is impossible. So no, you will not be able to get direct fire on rocket arty and howitzers unless your opponent screws up big time.

Your best option is to build artillery yourself and try to bleed your opponent more than you bleed yourself. This is the only option to breach the line and then find a gap to kill the artillery.
16 Mar 2021, 13:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Is this a 3on3 or 4on4 thing? I never really experienced arti spamming in 2on2. In 2on2 there is some Arti but it can be countered.

It is. 2v2 is open enough to allow for flanking on most maps. You need more units to fill up the front line. This is not the case for 3v3+, there you have quite some pop left for backline units.
Some teams dedicate their whole strategy to arty spamming and a couple of them are also good at it.
16 Mar 2021, 14:14 PM

It is. 2v2 is open enough to allow for flanking on most maps. You need more units to fill up the front line. This is not the case for 3v3+, there you have quite some pop left for backline units.
Some teams dedicate their whole strategy to arty spamming and a couple of them are also good at it.

Right, recently 4v4, most of the time if Allies has 2 Brit, 1 Sov, 1 USF.
Pretty the play goes around a Brit goes Royal Arty and build simcity, another Brit goes triple Comet, Sov goes KV8, USF goes Ranger Zook spam with Calliop. While the number of Allies infantry is far superior.

I cant think a single strat that can breakthrough it.

Though I think if 3v3 in a 4v4 map isnt that bad, still have flanking path.
16 Mar 2021, 16:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2021, 22:08 PMRosbone

Brits have the "no micro needed" options of Bofors and Mortar pits. And the mortar has been made even more cancerous now (for no apparent reason).

Actually what make this game cancerous in teamgames is non doc Rocket Arty.

Mortar pit is cancerous but only for his owner lol seriously that unit only works versus mentally challenged.

16 Mar 2021, 18:35 PM

Mostly 4v4, and even then just on some maps like Port of Hamburg where the front lines get stalemated and units have to move through a few checkpoints. I have CELO rankings from 40 to 3000 across different modes. Arty is much more prevalent when playing with the 3000-6000 people. It's also not usually a winning strategy, outside of getting a single piece of rocket arty.
Pip
16 Mar 2021, 19:43 PM

I agree that Artillery is pretty AIDS in its current implementation, it's simultaneously oppressive and laughably weak, dependent on what commander your opponent brings.

I made a thread a few weeks back on how artillery might be changed to be a little less awful, but it's certainly out of scope for the Balance Team.

Also: I think that the B4 is my most despised artillery piece/unit, it's an absurd RNG cannon that either does nothing at all, or instantly deletes expensive medium tanks. It's absolutely no fun to fight, even if it can be "satisfying" to obliterate a P4J with a lucky scatter roll. ("Satisfying" in quotes, as i really don't understand how something you don't really control can be satisfying)
16 Mar 2021, 22:40 PM

In team games the USSR really suffers to the arty spam. If you pick a commander to counter it (combined arms etc) then you lose access to premium armour.

I don't struggle against self propelled artillery as much as it generally has to be nearer the front lines and most players seem to keep them clustered together making dives that payoff result in a drop more often than not.

Whereas diving static arty often takes longer to destroy and the fuel lost by the enemy is often irrelevant by the late game. Man power is a hit though at least.

Lastly, counter battery has gotta go.
24 Mar 2021, 06:20 AM

I agree with most arguments presented here, brits are a cancer and arty spam is REDICULOUS in 4v4 games, so much so i regard it as a meme.

But above all, i have lots most of my troops to the katusyiah BY FAR.

When u hear that machine firing the only thing u can do is spam the T button and prey to the relic overlords there will be something of ur squads left.

I have seen soo many times full squad wipes because of that terrible design choice.

4x4 rockets where 1 rocket has unlimited delete potential.

I play allies in 4v4 because of the katustiah specifically.

Landmatrass, caliope, ml20, b4, etc are not even close to that level or retardness.

Raise popcap, extend scatter, longer cooldown, limit to 1 etc etc but this makes the game litterly unplayable vs russia
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★