Login

russian armor

dealing with assault grenadiers early game

7 Mar 2021, 01:32 AM

Hi everyone,

the last post about this question is quite old and we had a major patch since then. Therefore I ask again: How to deal with assault grenadiers early game as USF?

Usually I try to keep my distance, engage in mid range or farther and try to combine squads during an attack but that often leads to either getting pushed away or losing map control on the other side of the map.
I tried chosing armor company and building an assault engineer squad with a flame thrower but they don't seem to match the damage of assault grens.
I tried rushing light vehicles but often have trouble doing so because of lack of fuel/map control.
I tried build an hmg to supress incoming assault grens - this works decently but match becomes more static and I can't pressure as much as I usually do playing USF.

So, is there anything that comes to mind that might help me deal with them? Early racks tech? 4th rifle squad? Playing more defensive? I have no clue to be honest.

Thanks in advance.
7 Mar 2021, 21:18 PM

I wouldn't suggest early weapon racks, you wont have the muni and you really don't want to be delaying your tech. TBH usually an m20/WC51 and playing compact is enough to keep you going until you can get some vet/improve your position so that your units are in favourable positions.

Sounds like you're doing everything right unless there are some specific intricacies in the maps that you aren't adjusting to. Posting a replay would go a long way to allowing us to iron out some issues in your game.
7 Mar 2021, 23:03 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Don't rifles shred ass grens? Just gotta stay away from tight corners if possible. Pretty sure rifles destroy them if they close from 35. Grab bars when possible. If you're looking for a light vehicle, the M20 is decent as well as the AAHT.

Biggest issue I see happening if there's good MG42 play behind it, but ass grens are CP0(?) I think and that would delay ass grens coming out.
8 Mar 2021, 06:00 AM

My point of view is early 50cal, and direct to Stuart.

Assault G has no snare, Stuart can punish really hard in close range.

For early game, my USF idea is stay tightly around fuel point, waiting for USF timing (50cal and Stuart for my start)

I am also not suggesting early weapon rack, my rack is later than Stuart before Major with 180+ munition, or bazooka for RE for anti-tank.
8 Mar 2021, 11:45 AM

Best way is watch replays vs assgrens as it seems you are doing everything right.
8 Mar 2021, 12:14 PM

USF assault enges gooda against them. Also USF HMG is pretty good, because one-shot and they sprint is break. YOu just need protect your mg.
8 Mar 2021, 20:39 PM

Thanks for all of your replies!

Sounds like you're doing everything right unless there are some specific intricacies in the maps that you aren't adjusting to. Posting a replay would go a long way to allowing us to iron out some issues in your game.

There is most certainly lots of room for improvement on my side. I can't put my finger on what I am doing wrong exactly. Just comparing to the outcome of matches against other commander choices I don't feel as overwhelmed even when playing against clearly better skilled opponents. I'll post a replay if I find the time to do some matches.

Don't rifles shred ass grens? [..] Biggest issue I see happening if there's good MG42 play behind it

If they do I am doing it wrong :D. I always try to back up which often leads to losing health and bleeding mp while trying to stay out of close range. MGs I feel confident to flank and more often than not I am able to put pressure on.

For early game, my USF idea is stay tightly around fuel point, waiting for USF timing (50cal and Stuart for my start)

I'll try to play less aggressive then and concentrate on securing one fuel point at all cost. Maybe I just want to much and thin out my forces to try to gain map control only to lose it. As DeVM always says: Winning engagements in early game is key.

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2021, 11:45 AMLMAO
Best way is watch replays vs assgrens as it seems you are doing everything right.

Good idea. Do you happen to have a recommendation ;)?
8 Mar 2021, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Mar 2021, 12:14 PMMaret
USF assault enges gooda against them. Also USF HMG is pretty good, because one-shot and they sprint is break. YOu just need protect your mg.

Maybe its just me or the problem is that the assault grens already have vet1 because of all the damage they put out onto my rifles. I'll give assault engineers another shot.
9 Mar 2021, 08:51 AM

Maybe its just me or the problem is that the assault grens already have vet1 because of all the damage they put out onto my rifles. I'll give assault engineers another shot.

Assault Engineers beat Assgren high handed but you need to bring them at their effective range before taking damage to do so. There are two main strategies:
1 - double your squads (even without assengi), use a Riflemen squad as bait
2 - keep your own assengi to ambush him where you believe he is going to come.

AssGren players are usually waiting for you first at choke point where they are at advantage. You have to identify those areas and avoid them early.
If you manage to do so, you'll be able to get an early M20 to control the pest.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS