Login

russian armor

Differences between Panther OKW/Ostheer variants

27 Feb 2021, 10:47 AM

Hi everyone.
The last patch says that OKW Panther is being standardized with its Ostheer counterpart,so they now actually have the same vet bonuces, but the OKW need two more vets than Ostheer to get them? is there still any difference between them?
and where I could find updated units states?

note: currently I can't open the game to check the vets bonuces.
27 Feb 2021, 10:55 AM

Veterancy 1 to 3 are now identical, but the OKW Panther still gets added bonuses for vet 4 (scatter bonus) and vet 5 (moving acc bonus and +7 sight when stationary).
27 Feb 2021, 10:59 AM

Veterancy 1 to 3 are now identical, but the OKW Panther still gets added bonuses for vet 4 (scatter bonus) and vet 5 (moving acc bonus and +7 sight when stationary).

Nice, thanks for explaining.
27 Feb 2021, 15:47 PM

Why is every bit of un even ness being eroded from the game. I know you guy's job is hard but still gotta ask.
27 Feb 2021, 20:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Why is every bit of un even ness being eroded from the game. I know you guy's job is hard but still gotta ask.

I mean, you know what was the vet from the PV before? Why so melodramatic.

Blitzkrieg and Combat blitz remain different.
They already had the same vet 2 before and the vet 3 was basically the same.

28 Feb 2021, 07:40 AM

Sharing stats is fine I suppose but sharing units is a big no no somehow according to most balance experts.

28 Feb 2021, 09:05 AM

Sharing stats is fine I suppose but sharing units is a big no no somehow according to most balance experts.

I mean, I do see where they come from.
OKW and Ost are almost the same faction at this point.

And every single allied faction having access to M5 is rather boring approach.
Or OKW getting a Tiger despite already having KT.

Normalizing stats between 2 completely identical units that make no sense for them to be different, well, makes sense, especially if it wasn't exactly transparent that OKW panther was different to Ost one.
28 Feb 2021, 09:10 AM

I mean, you know what was the vet from the PV before? Why so melodramatic.

Blitzkrieg and Combat blitz remain different.
They already had the same vet 2 before and the vet 3 was basically the same.

I know but every bit of unevenness is being patched out. All the tech of all the factions is super linear now, side tech is more of an inconvenience than an actual decision, similar units are being made almost the same. It just feels really bad.
28 Feb 2021, 10:51 AM

Didn't really test the Panther yet.

The accuracy buff should greatly affect the three MGs.

Is there any notable difference in AI performance? Anyone who tested it?
28 Feb 2021, 11:01 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2021, 10:51 AMButcher

MGs have completely separate accuracy then main gun.
MMX
28 Feb 2021, 13:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2021, 10:51 AMButcher

to add on what katitof said already; the accuracy buff does only affect the main gun, which provides some 5-10% of the panther's AI at best. so, no, the difference is barely noticeable.
1 Mar 2021, 06:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2021, 09:05 AMKatitof

I mean, I do see where they come from.
OKW and Ost are almost the same faction at this point.

And every single allied faction having access to M5 is rather boring approach.
Or OKW getting a Tiger despite already having KT.

Normalizing stats between 2 completely identical units that make no sense for them to be different, well, makes sense, especially if it wasn't exactly transparent that OKW panther was different to Ost one.

Well no duh that it's boring when you don't even play the game.

And the M5 is only really in 1 doctrine for each each of the Non Soviet Allied Armies, the UKF one of which is in a more 1v1 focused commander while the USF one is in a more attractive commander because of the Calliope so that's why you might see it it a bit more often.

Plus there's nothing wrong with the OKW having a Tiger or the Ostheer having a King Tiger with their own unique abilities and stats.

The Tiger for OKW was just used as a crutch for a long time due to the balancing and design of the Army and the KT being an overpriced piece of shit at this point with the buffed TD meta replacing the Heavy Tank meta.

But I still think that Ost can make use of a KT with a more specific role like it being an Ace or something as it would fit their theme of being a more Eastern front focused Army.

Kurt Knispel, the world's top tank ace, was in a King Tiger at the end of the war with the 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion that was posted in Hungary.

In terms of abilities it can have an s mine launcher similar to the Sturmtiger and a small suppression causing boost to replace the Blitzkrieg ability, maybe even a commander that increases sight at the expense of combat stats similar to the old Ferdinand vision ability and so forth.

Lots of unique ways to go at it, question is what are the devs willing to do exactly because so far it just looks like lazy excuses on why not to add something.
1 Mar 2021, 16:21 PM

Kurt Knispel, the world's top tank ace, was in a King Tiger at the end of the war with the 503rd Heavy Tank Battalion that was posted in Hungary.

He has the most claims but they aren't verified. If a King Tiger ace were added I'd like it to be more about tank vs. tank combat because that's what the King Tiger was designed for and was an absolute beast at.
2 Mar 2021, 10:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2021, 16:21 PMSpoof

He has the most claims but they aren't verified. If a King Tiger ace were added I'd like it to be more about tank vs. tank combat because that's what the King Tiger was designed for and was an absolute beast at.

Kurt Knispel, the same guy that fought an SS Officer, reason why he wasn't promoted as much or a poster boy for the Panzerwaffe, the same as Michael Wittmann, having made up kill counts?

I mean sure if you would like to believe that, it's even said that he had close to 200 and I'd rather think that is more true compared to Soviet kill and death counts which are well known and proven to be artificial and that's why nobody with half a brain uses them as proof for anything really. Good example would be that the Soviets didn't consider their wounded as casualties but many of them couldn't return back to combat so they actually were but I guess that's a different matter altogether.

Anyway it could also be a Command tank as well, the name doesn't really matter at this point as it's just something there to make it "unique" compared to everything else, it's just that whenever people hear "command" they think and overbuffed unit that buffs anything around them, be it their own or friendly.

Hence why the OKW Tiger has the pretty much useless command ability and also the reason why the Command Panzer IV and Command Panther were nerfed to the ground as well.

It could be made so they're less accurate and have more reload times due to having more radios as an excuse and be more tank focused at the beginning without vet or with vet 1, afterwards it slowly also affects infantry and maybe friendly units as well as the end of it.

Point is Tigers and King Tigers are heavier and thus also slower tanks than the Panzer IV and Panther, them being gimped performance wise I think makes up for their buff aura that they can maybe provide if they're kept alive and properly used.

The Armor doesn't play as big of a role here because while yes it provides more survivability to the vehicle I think something that can keep up with the rest of the vehicles and being able to get out of dodge like the Panther would be a bit better than something that's slower and thus more vulnerable to a TD dive or something.

Again at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what it's called, as long as it's unqiue and adds something new and refreshing I think it's good, and there's plenty of ways to go at this idea but I doubt the community devs will go for it sadly because "muh asymmetry" while literally copying and pasting other units and vehicles but I guess that's that.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★