Login

russian armor

Ostruppen Openings

20 Feb 2021, 22:07 PM

Please, help me understand this opening.

I read it all the time bosstruppen op in threads, shoutbox etc. this happened back with WFA and apparently now but I can't actually find any examples. For a couple weeks now I've been searching for games and looking for variations on the front page of spectate but the only game I found was one of the HoI clan losing two squads, blundering a 222 and then resigning after struggling against a Sov player on Kholodny West (!!!)

What is the main line variation, do players use defensive doctrine, or Ost, what are the strategic objectives and what are the tactics?

I'm assuming 3 Ost + Mg42 into fast 222/FlameHT if no ATG and PzGrens? Go for the cut off? Then atg/extra Mg42 into Armor?

20 Feb 2021, 22:55 PM

i just drop this one here World Championchip 2020 Grand Finals
21 Feb 2021, 16:35 PM

Thank you friend.
21 Feb 2021, 21:25 PM

I think the issues I'm having are blundering my light vehicles, and not constructing cover. If I get routed before my PiV, Ostrupen just get slapped around so badly, it's really difficult to counter attack.
22 Feb 2021, 04:28 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

For light vehicles, I go Flamer HT rush into 222. If you can't keep them alive, Osttruppen stops snowballing and you get pushed off the map.

Getting Panzergrenadiers helps with mid-game momentum too, I like to form a mini blob with my two light vehicles, a sweeper sapper, and 1-2 PGs. Alternatively, you can play defensively and get PaKs and MGs and turtle until your P4 arrives.
22 Feb 2021, 10:07 AM

Sniper also works wonders with ostruppen builds as you can afford to bleed the ostruppen while reconing for the sniper Also ofc going for cheaper ostruppen means that going sniper first doesn't instantly get pushed off the map as you can get some meat between your sniper and opponents faster for the opponents "counter push timing" when they get their 4th unit on the field.

Some of my thoughts for the more casual build of not going sniper and reasons to go multiple Pgrens instead of going defensive:
Your opponent knows you are going for fast p4 and is incentiviced to go for 2 AT multiple reasons:
-Your ostruppen mainline means that he does not need to invest a lot of mp for infantry combat.
-Since ostruppen are garbage at assaulting those ATs they are most likely going to be safe.
-2 ATs can completely deny your p4 of any powerspike that you need to keep the upperhand rendering it only useful for poking around one side of the map at best

This is why in my opinion it is crucial to go for at least 2 panzergrenadiers instead of what would feel like the more intuitive approach of doubling down on mgs and going defensive. Going defensive also means that almost all of your army is very susceptible to indirect fire which again you have no way to counter because that would require you to backtech to T1 for mortars if you do not have pgrens.
26 Feb 2021, 09:05 AM

I'll have you know; that's the first pro match I ever watched.

And I was impressed on how methodic and patient Isildur is. Very well done.
14 Mar 2021, 12:13 PM

i come back after years and commanders with osttruppen are my favorite. in team games what strategy is recommended versus SOV and UK? is better doctrine with StugE for more anty infantry then skip t3 for t4 or i focus for fast P4 or Ostwind?
8 Apr 2021, 01:20 AM

Yeah I am never sure which Osttruppen Doctrine is better. Maybe it is preferential for sure but Defensive provides useful concrete bunkers and sector artillery, and in the coming patch the Pak43 will be buffed.

What I like about Osttruppen Doctrine is the air supply you can call in as well as the field officer.

Still it makes it hard for me to decide which one I'm going to pick at the start of a match because at the start of the match if you're going to use Osttruppen aren't you going to pick the doctrine right away so you can start building Osttruppen?

I think with when beta goes live Osttruppen will be quite good. With improved sandbag building as well as improved accuracy with the lmg42 upgrade
11 May 2021, 21:06 PM

...that would require you to backtech to T1 for mortars if you do not have pgrens.

RIP in RIP osttruppen call in. Thoughts on osttruppen openinga now that they are built from T1?
22 May 2021, 22:19 PM

RIP in RIP osttruppen call in. Thoughts on osttruppen openinga now that they are built from T1?

They will be good after the buff in the next patch. Should go live soon after champsionship is over
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★