Login

russian armor

What the PRO's think of COH2

PAGES (11)down
19 Nov 2013, 16:26 PM

I miss the low impact units with tactical value like jeeps/bikes

:(
19 Nov 2013, 16:34 PM

All very true, but let's be realistic for a moment: all these commanders are not going to be removed again. Presumably even more will be arriving.

So what on earth could anyone from the player community actually do to reverse the situation? It's like the indians trying to stop settlers from Europe.

I can't see it making a difference if we post our concern here, on the official forum or on the kitchen suppliers' forum.

Quite simple really - you just uninstall and play something else.

You don't continue the cycle that they're pushing - i.e. the DLC cash cow - and you also - dare I say it - get onto playing a game you DO enjoy.

In the end for me COH2 was borderline dull and I often found myself playing simply because I bought it and was trying to salvage some of my $ by playing it - much like when you buy a big pack of new flavored potato chips at the store that you thought looked cool - however the flavor was like dull cardboard - you can either throw it out - or try and eat a bit here and there, hoping maybe that it'd become as tasty as you hoped. Yet after a game or 2 you remembered why its been a week since you played it - and you went on your way till the next week came by and you thought "you know, maybe this time it'll be better".

There's just so many better titles coming out that I actually ENJOY playing that uninstalling COH2 now is just a distant thought.

The sad victim here is COH1 in its unplayable state and the sooner COH2 isn't a financially viable product I'm pretty sure magically we'll see COH1 fixed.
19 Nov 2013, 16:42 PM

That's why I said we should use be able to use fuel to open up more commander slots. Or abilities or something.

I'm not sure COH1 was all THAT strategic...Eventually the US meta revolved around being conservative with rifles until you had a howie or Calliope to devastate unreachable Wehrmakt positions. And as for micro, most COH games at the highest level revolved around who had the better counter-sniping micro, a rather intense and difficult process that is far harder than dodging nades. I quit playing 1v1 when it turned into this crap, because it was just stupid and games were won and lost on the countersnipe.

The games aren't that different. In either game if someone goes T3, you have to get a pak, if you can't pull off a flank you wait for him to hurt himself attacking you before you counter-attack, you have harassing units and shock units (Rangers are really quite similar to shock troops, with added anti-vehicle). Mostly I think it's the fuel upgrades and fuel usage choices that separate the games, as well as the also rather arcadey nade/dodge game. Bars capable of suppression was also a really big part of COH in the early years, though in the last tourneys you saw it used less and less, but was a powerful force multiplier that added more resource-usage decision-making to the game...But arty made bar suppression less useful for most players once they realized that it wasn't really helping kill the med bunker.

19 Nov 2013, 16:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2013, 15:51 PMInverse

The thing is, I got hooked on vCoH because of the tactical, unit-centric play, but I stayed for the strategic depth that took so much longer to master. In its current state, I just don't see how that strategic depth could ever develop in the core game unless changes are made that don't involve being forced to pay for commanders. It's all tactics, and that just doesn't interest me.

Good post Inverse. I can respect the fact that you prefer vCoH. I don't think CoH2 will ever be vCoH and honestly I don't think it should aspire to be. As VonIvan mentioned, CoH2 has strong points and weak points. We as the community should work on further improving upon the strong points while also mitigating the weak points. Trying to push CoH2 to be vCoH will only create a giant mess.
19 Nov 2013, 16:52 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with you. One way of how I can see of making commanders in a more buildable screnario is first of all to lay off the DLC for a couple of months, balance the current ones and do extensive testing on their future DLC.

This is wishful thinking but I would like to see them reintroduce the teching mechanism of COH1. How:

Bundle the commanders of each faction up, and then split them into 3 defined trees. Specific trees have specific commanders, allowing you to chose different abilities from all the commanders in that tree only (to a max number of allowed abilities) - with the CP abilities accumulating to purchase the next 0CP unit to 1 CP for example just like COH1. This is one way to avoid people who bought the commanders not being upset as they can still use all of a specific commanders abilities, but will allow for a hell of a more diverse game as you can pick and choose abilities from the different commanders in the tech tree you chose to follow.

Well in my mind it sounds easy but writing it doesnt come out as I would like to explain as english is not my first language. I hate when people make these kind of suggestions but I thought it worthwhile putting it out there as I don't really care anymore at this point.

19 Nov 2013, 16:53 PM
Coder Red Badge

That's why I said we should use be able to use fuel to open up more commander slots. Or abilities or something.

I'm not sure COH1 was all THAT strategic...Eventually the US meta revolved around being conservative with rifles until you had a howie or Calliope to devastate unreachable Wehrmakt positions. And as for micro, most COH games at the highest level revolved around who had the better counter-sniping micro, a rather intense and difficult process that is far harder than dodging nades. I quit playing 1v1 when it turned into this crap, because it was just stupid and games were won and lost on the countersnipe.

The games aren't that different. In either game if someone goes T3, you have to get a pak, if you can't pull off a flank you wait for him to hurt himself attacking you before you counter-attack, you have harassing units and shock units (Rangers are really quite similar to shock troops, with added anti-vehicle). Mostly I think it's the fuel upgrades and fuel usage choices that separate the games, as well as the also rather arcadey nade/dodge game. Bars capable of suppression was also a really big part of COH in the early years, though in the last tourneys you saw it used less and less, but was a powerful force multiplier that added more resource-usage decision-making to the game...But arty made bar suppression less useful for most players once they realized that it wasn't really helping kill the med bunker.

Actually, nobody really relied on coutersniping because it was so unreliable. You'd try to kill snipers with flanks, artillery, or vehicles, and use your own sniper against their infantry to balance out the damage done by his sniper to your infantry.

But you're right, vCoH wasn't an incredibly deep game strategically, especially when compared to other RTS games like BW/SC2. In my opinion, however, it had the perfect combination of strategy and tactics, and sufficient strategic depth to make it interesting and challenging to play, watch, and analyze. The fact that CoH2 is even less strategically diverse than the already relatively simple vCoH is the thing that is extremely disappointing to me.
19 Nov 2013, 17:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2013, 16:51 PMCieZ

Good post Inverse. I can respect the fact that you prefer vCoH. I don't think CoH2 will ever be vCoH and honestly I don't think it should aspire to be. As VonIvan mentioned, CoH2 has strong points and weak points. We as the community should work on further improving upon the strong points while also mitigating the weak points. Trying to push CoH2 to be vCoH will only create a giant mess.

Very well said.
19 Nov 2013, 17:25 PM

Inverse, you might be right about not needing much micro in high level vCoH play, but that was due to overall player skill as much as game design. I don't believe people got particularly close to the skill cap in any of the tournaments I watched.

CoH 2 needs global fuel upgrades, but the gap between vCoH and CoH2 in terms of strategic depth is being greatly exaggerated. There was maybe two or three potential ways to play each map as each faction, which is still true now.

After going back and playing a few vCoH games I think the input lag in CoH2 is a much bigger issue than anything else. Oh and the pathing sucks too.

@Trainz: We saw grenspam, fast flamer halftrack, and 2 pio 4 gren 2 mg openings, and there were assault gren starts in some of the non-casted games. Some people went t2 and some people didn't. Soviets went both t2 t3, t1 t3, and t1 t4. That's about as varied as vCoH starts.
19 Nov 2013, 17:32 PM

agree with most of the points too, game is boring, havent touched it since like 2 months. Keep coming to the forums hoping that some magical new patch is giving another chance to the game but I see its rather the opposite with the new commanders who look quite good on the paper, offering new units but with all the issues mentioned above. On the top of that, the beta patch version is always empty. So I think most of us lost any hope coming from Relic side. On another note, I would like to remind people that vCOH was really a niche community (between 300-700 players online) with a gameplay full of exploitable broken elements until at least patch 1.4 or 1.5 which came out in june, around 4-5 months after release if I remind correctly, so lets not fall into blind nostalgy.

However, maybe it would still be possible to adress it from community side (like in Dow2 and ROTWK ), where community patches gave them another life. As i have no clue about modding, i would just suggest to try coming out with a community patch after gathering all opinions of the top and more engaged players of this community to come out with a community patch where we could play together using basic match but with some off-game rankings.

Another option would be to do something similar like they did with Age of Empire Online having a ranked mode without DLC available (which sadly didnt save the game but gave it a bit longer life and was actually removing all experiennced based items)

Again im really ignorant about the feasibility of those propositions in term of modding tools and copyrights and the energy that people are stll wanting to put into this game.

P.S. on an additional note, Relic original vCOH dev team isnt dead and is currently working on something somethings many of us might wanna jump on at its release :)
19 Nov 2013, 17:42 PM

agree with most of the points too, game is boring, havent touched it since like 2 months. Keep coming to the forums hoping that some magical new patch is giving another chance to the game but I see its rather the opposite with the new commanders who look quite good on the paper, offering new units but with all the issues mentioned above. On the top of that, the beta patch version is always empty. So I think most of us lost any hope coming from Relic side. On another note, I would like to remind people that vCOH was really a niche community (between 300-700 players online) with a gameplay full of exploitable broken elements until at least patch 1.4 or 1.5 which came out in june, around 4-5 months after release if I remind correctly, so lets not fall into blind nostalgy.

However, maybe it would still be possible to adress it from community side (like in Dow2 and ROTWK ), where community patches gave them another life. As i have no clue about modding, i would just suggest to try coming out with a community patch after gathering all opinions of the top and more engaged players of this community to come out with a community patch where we could play together using basic match but with some off-game rankings.

Another option would be to do something similar like they did with Age of Empire Online having a ranked mode without DLC available (which sadly didnt save the game but gave it a bit longer life and was actually removing all experiennced based items)

Again im really ignorant about the feasibility of those propositions in term of modding tools and copyrights and the energy that people are stll wanting to put into this game.

P.S. on an additional note, Relic original vCOH dev team isnt dead and is currently working on something somethings many of us might wanna jump on at its release :)

is this something something mere speculation? is not like its forbidden to say things about other games in here. as far as i know i can only speak of homeworld prequel shipbreakers. but then i dont know is those where the vcoh developers.
19 Nov 2013, 21:23 PM

Permanently Banned
Im not a pro but here is my input:

-Stop releasing unbalanced/untested Commanders
-Fix input lag/unit responsiveness
-Focus on balancing baseline balance
-Focus on fixing baseline bugs
19 Nov 2013, 22:16 PM

For those of you who are confused, this is a bassline bug:

19 Nov 2013, 22:30 PM

Let me state this again, since Relic is very slow and incompetent. This is why CoH2 is a big failure and why we see a big drop in number of players;

*Input/Command lag is ruin the game
*MP Floating less important
*POP Cap less important
*Still Bad Pathing
*Less Intense/Competitive, every game will end the same way
*Lack of Depth
*Terrible Mine system
*Dont promote Veterancy with *BAD* gameplay
*Keeping Units alive less important
*Snipers way to nerfed
*Lack of Defence structures
*No Spectator mode
*No Custom lobby games
*No Ranks/leaderboards
*NO Stats
*No Ping/Perf
*No Unit Stats
*Weather system slowing the gameplay down
*RNG - DOES NOT *LET ME REPEAT* DOES NOT BELONG IN COMPETITIVE RTS
*Bulletins - DOES NOT *LET ME REPEAT* DOES NOT BELONG IN COMPETITIVE RTS
*Tons of DLCs ruin the game and balance
*Terrible Map Design
*Outdated Replay System
*Last and not least - WE DONT WANT ALMIGHTY DLC COMMANDERS WITH VET3 UNITS AND TANK ACES!

"I dont get why you remove good features(who needed some improvements) like the FHQ, or why mess up features who WORKED OUT GREAT like the UI and minimap?

I honestly can not believe this is the same team who made the epic awesome award winning Company of Heroes 1 with 93.93/100 on Gamerankings.com! Am I missing something here? What went wrong? So many mistakes..

Right now, you are doing the same thing Ensemble Studios did after the big success with AoE2, they messed up big time with AoE3. What you should have done Relic, what we, the fans, wanted, is what Blizzard Entertainment did with Starcraft 2. Starcraft 1 in a new engine with new graphics and improvments. We all just wanted a new CoH1 in a new engine, with new graphics and improvments. Not another AoE3."

I wrote that during my CoH2 Closed Beta Review, I guess I was right, not even 5 months after release, the game is dying. Fading away. Slowly. Painfull.
And guess what? We got another AoE3!

// UberAllez
19 Nov 2013, 22:50 PM

Well, I do still enjoy the game, playing the game on a casual level. But it's pretty apparent that they have abandoned the competitive scene for quick cash. Works in the short run I guess.

Some design choices are just very odd, and it feel like somewhere at Relic there is a very stubborn and prideful designer, who refuses to change his ways.

19 Nov 2013, 23:09 PM

Relic is repeating the same mistakes that made CoHO a failure.
19 Nov 2013, 23:17 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I hate to say this but COHO > COH2.
19 Nov 2013, 23:30 PM

was coho online a true failure? It seemed to always have a shitload of people online at anytime of the day. But then it again it was free to play.
19 Nov 2013, 23:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2013, 22:16 PMDanielD
For those of you who are confused, this is a bassline bug:

The expression left me wondering
Thanks for the clarification
20 Nov 2013, 02:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2013, 16:22 PMTrainzz
Not to mention that part of the game was the strategic decision which of the 3 doctrines to take to counter what the opponent is doing (if necessary). In CoH2, it is more or less luck, whether you have a commander with you that counters the opponents playstyle or commander, since you have to pick 3 out of all available, without knowing what your opponent picked before.

How wrong is what you just said. Tell me, if your opponent have an IS-152 you still dont know what doctrine he choosed? An also when the game starts you can see the faceplate with what commander he choosed to play, so you are able to take the best of your 3 commanders you have choosed and counter his.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS