Login

russian armor

Suggestion to smooth out tech and diversify late-game

11 Sep 2020, 10:51 AM

I play ranked, but I'm no pro, just a disclaimer
Tech:
I'd split the USF techs into one for weapon teams/more defensive gameplay (LT) and the second for light vehicles/more offensive gameplay (CAP)

(EDITED)

T0 (barracks?)
Rifleman
Rear Echelon
Mortar Team
Ambulance
AT Gun (unlocks after T1 or T2)

(the 'CP upgrade' half techs are removed)
T1 (Platoon CP?)
Lieutenant
HMG
M20
Stuart

T2 (Company CP?)
Captain
AA Halftrack
Pack Howitzer
ANOTHER UNIT: Rangers/pathfinders etc . . .

T3 (Battalion CP?) (require T1 or T2)
Major
Sherman
Jackson
M8 Scott

Other changes
- 'Unlock weapon racks' changed to 'weapon rack authorization'. Officers can use weapon racks freely before the upgrade is given, it just allows rifleman & other infantry access.
- Grant Rifleman global AT nades at T3 (suggested in other thread).
- Give Major weapon crates for zooks and bars when deployed (can use models from SOV SVD airdrop crate) Reduces micro from running back to equip from weapon racks.
- Order activation upgrade for T1 & T2 once T3 unlocked. Allows back-teching without popcap drain

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Armour rework
From 'state of doctrinal armour' thread

- 76mm sherman removed and replaced with Easy 8s in commanders, Easy 8 moving accuracy restored, but kept as Anti-tank focused unit.

- Vet 1 vehicle crews gain 'applique armour' ability to use on Shermans & Sherman Easy 8s.
Ability requires vehicle to be within vicinity of a vehicle wreck and when used, applies armour taken from the wreck to the tank to create a Sherman Jumbo. Mobility nerfed to the floor, armour & HP increased but weapons unchanged. Can stack with dozer upgrade, but dozer HP buff removed (retains armour buff)

Then the USF armour line-up looks like:
- M4 Sherman: All-rounder
- M4A3E8 Sherman: Fast, flanking anti-tank Sherman (Doctrinal) Given HVAP with vet1 & moving accuracy returned. But AI nerfed
- M4 Jumbo/MA3E8 Jumbo: Slow heavy assualt tank (a late-game screening alternative to the rifleman meatgrinder) Can repurpose unused 76mm Sherman skin with a new icon

The armour rework then gives USF a strategy other than rifleman blob to take damage late game. Drawing the late game focus to a more balanced combined arms force instead of rifle blob backed up by Jacksons.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?
12 Sep 2020, 02:37 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

(Moved to CoH2 Gameplay)
12 Sep 2020, 12:51 PM

congrats you succesfully killed the tech revamp of USF.

The whole point of the tech revamp was to provide both supression and AT options for both techs. (MG and stuart for Leut, pak and AA for captain)

Just imagine how hard PUMA will rek captain.

EDIT: Backteching is already easy as USF in the lategame, so the whole tech is very smooth already
12 Sep 2020, 13:12 PM

The whole point of the tech revamp was to provide both supression and AT options for both techs. (MG and stuart for Leut, pak and AA for captain)

EDIT: Backteching is already easy as USF in the lategame, so the whole tech is very smooth already

Only thing that would be nice would be that you can activate the building without getting the free officer. If you go for captain and you need a HMG, you won't spend the population on lieutenant .
12 Sep 2020, 13:42 PM

Perfectly said
12 Sep 2020, 14:26 PM

ah I see. I think I have problems with my Stuart play then . . .
12 Sep 2020, 23:15 PM

I like the rearrangement but the way you have the units split up it would make captain useless as others have said. If the tech was changed to be more like Osteer(LT to CPT to MAJ) then it would make sense. The biggest issue would be the amount of infantry squads and cost of teching so that it doesn't come to fast.
13 Sep 2020, 05:40 AM

This faction's tech tree is kind of a dumpster fire and it more or less always has been. I can't decide if the existing tech tree is better or not than what USF had prior. On the one hand it is good they redid the units that get unlocked with CPT and LT, that is definitely better than the way it was, but then they jacked the fuel and man power costs for teching sky high it made the changes almost pointless.

All that's needed to really fix the USF tech tree is to place either the AT gun or MG into the Barracks after teching and then add something else, something trivial like the M5 HT to replace the AT gun or MG in the tech tree.

Teching is incredibly risky (and super expensive) with USF so if you get it wrong it's GG.
13 Sep 2020, 09:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2020, 05:40 AMCODGUY
This faction's tech tree is kind of a dumpster fire and it more or less always has been. I can't decide if the existing tech tree is better or not than what USF had prior. On the one hand it is good they redid the units that get unlocked with CPT and LT, that is definitely better than the way it was, but then they jacked the fuel and man power costs for teching sky high it made the changes almost pointless.

All that's needed to really fix the USF tech tree is to place either the AT gun or MG into the Barracks after teching and then add something else, something trivial like the M5 HT to replace the AT gun or MG in the tech tree.

Teching is incredibly risky (and super expensive) with USF so if you get it wrong it's GG.

I actually very nearly got to that AT gun switch, just edited my OP to it . ..

What do people make of the armour stuff?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS