Login

russian armor

Vision and sightblockers

25 Jun 2020, 18:16 PM

It's possible to implement mechanic that will give you visual indication, if sight of team weapon is blocked by sightblocker? Like in cone of fire make colored area or another indication that this part is blocked by obstacle.
Because sometimes, small bush or wreck could block entire part of vision for your ATG, but you sure that this part is clear. Sometimes your troops give you vision of battlefield, but your team weapon don't have vision because sightblocker and you can understand this only when enemy already start engage.
25 Jun 2020, 19:01 PM

Not in CoH2 anymore.

You just have to learn maps and know what blocks sight and what does not.
25 Jun 2020, 19:16 PM

I think each model of a squad has their own SIGHT calculation. So you need to have the actual gunner where it can see around a sight blocker. One of the pros can verify this for me. but you will see a lot of engagements where one model is fighting and everyone else is just standing around.

Some objects have weird sight profiles as well, like the brick pile that blocks sight until you get close to it or the hay stack that blocks sight unless you have sight some other way and then it does not block sight anymore.

The game also seems to do two checks, the 2D FOW check and then an actual 3D check with 3D hit boxes. So if its close to being able to see its 50/50 if it will or not.

Here is a list of some sight blockers so you can learn them easily.
https://www.coh2.org/topic/84517/welcome-to-the-world-of-sight-blockers
25 Jun 2020, 21:47 PM

"true vision" is absolutely broken. just last game i had a tank driving inside an enemy tanks smoke and the whole map turned black. now i dont know much about coding and stuff but someone fucked up
shit like that happen on the regular, the results cause an altf4-move
26 Jun 2020, 00:34 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2020, 21:47 PMBaba
"true vision" is absolutely broken. just last game i had a tank driving inside an enemy tanks smoke and the whole map turned black. now i dont know much about coding and stuff but someone fucked up
shit like that happen on the regular, the results cause an altf4-move

That is because the tank was in a place where it could not see (inside the smoke).

Sadly, this happens with units(infantry) all the time because the map objects are bugged. When you place an object on the map, the map impass grid is filled in with the shape of the object. There is another grid used for vision (FOW). The Impass Grid and the FOW Grid should match exactly, but they dont because of bugs. So you end up with places around sight blockers where units have no vision and are invisible to enemies. Take a sniper and walk around map objects edges and the FOW will disappear because you are inside a 1x1 meter grid cell that has NO vision.

So in the TANK example above, smoke fills in a large section of the VISION GRID (FOW) and says anything in here cant see. So when the tanks FOW is calced, it cant see and therefore has no visible FOW.
26 Jun 2020, 01:54 AM

As an example, around the church you can see the IMPASS grid. Each cell is 1x1 meter. White/Grey colored cells you can walk on/thru. Red cells you can not walk on. The orange cells are impass cells painted by the mapper to say NO ONE can ever go here.

In the picture below, the orange cells were painted because if a sniper stood in these cells, they had no vision/FOW. So they would not shoot at anything and they would not be shot at. They are invisible/do not exist.

26 Jun 2020, 07:42 AM

i know what you mean with infantry.
i see it alot of times when i place camo units at the edge of a forrest. sometimes they go completely blind without even entering stealth
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★