Login

russian armor

Idea for sturmpiooner

25 Jun 2020, 16:41 PM

Since the sturmpionners are very squishy , should they have camouflage as veterancy (2 or 3 stars)
to compensate their high costs?
25 Jun 2020, 16:42 PM

No, they're in a very good place right now. If you think they're squishy, try using OST Pios
25 Jun 2020, 16:46 PM

They do what they are suppose to do, I would just make it 7 pop instead of 8 but that's minor.
25 Jun 2020, 16:53 PM

Is the camo to compensate for their high cost or is it their higher than average repair rate? Or their stgs? Or is it their no vet 3 aoe healing medkits? Maybe it's the fact they actually have the smallest target size of all starting units. Migh be that they are the only unit in the game that can stash a minesweeper. It can't be the ignoring terrain features since that was basicly removed from the game, but it could be their super wire, even their vet 1 stun nade! My gut however says that it's all of those features stuffed into one unit. Hard to say tho
25 Jun 2020, 18:32 PM

OKW should have another unit to sweep for mines and repair. Sturpios are too expensive to do that. I would suggest giving okw ost pios if they needed only to sweep and repair, maybe through a doctrine or as a unit one can buy from HQ after all trucks are set up.
25 Jun 2020, 18:40 PM

OKW should have another unit to sweep for mines and repair. Sturpios are too expensive to do that. I would suggest giving okw ost pios if they needed only to sweep and repair, maybe through a doctrine or as a unit one can buy from HQ after all trucks are set up.

That's actually a cool idea. A 5 man squad that can sweep and repair with really shitty DPS but equipped with smoke grenades like the UKF recovery sappers. Should cost something like 230 MP and have the sweeper stock.
25 Jun 2020, 18:56 PM

That's actually a cool idea. A 5 man squad that can sweep and repair with really shitty DPS but equipped with smoke grenades like the UKF recovery sappers. Should cost something like 230 MP and have the sweeper stock.

Yeh. IMO it would help with just rebuying them to repair and sweep after the early game and if you lose your original sturmpio. Now OKW gets punished too much if they lose the sturpio. They suffer greatly when they can't repair but even more so against mines. Paying 300mp just to have a sweeper is just really hard to swallow.
25 Jun 2020, 19:08 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think Sturmpioneers are in a decent spot right now. The only thing worth criticizing is maybe their relatively high popcap in the late game when their fighting power is only mediocre and become relatively ineffective for their cost.

But I'd give a no to Ostheer pios, we already have a lot of unit mixing. OKW has their T2 upgrade to compensate for the missing second pioneer.
25 Jun 2020, 19:16 PM

I think Sturmpioneers are in a decent spot right now. The only thing worth criticizing is maybe their relatively high popcap in the late game when their fighting power is only mediocre and become relatively ineffective for their cost.

But I'd give a no to Ostheer pios, we already have a lot of unit mixing. OKW has their T2 upgrade to compensate for the missing second pioneer.

While I agree that sturmpios are in a good spot, I'd say OKW is not. One of the issues is their situation in the sweeping department. T2 upgrade helps with repairs (though they are still inferior to allied factions in this respect). It does not help with spotting mines. If OKW lose their sweeping unit they are doomed to a really great bleed. Also one sweeper can't be everywhere and one side of the map might bleed them anyway. A cheaper repair/sweeping unit is sth they lack imo. An IR halftrack could get a sweeping upgrade if new unit is out of question.
25 Jun 2020, 21:29 PM

I don't mean to alarm anyone here but... Losing your elite units is SUPPOSED to hurt. That's not an okw fault, it's a game feature. If you don't over extend your sturms you won't lose them, and thus won't have to replace them. 90% of the time it works every time.
25 Jun 2020, 21:49 PM

I don't mean to alarm anyone here but... Losing your elite units is SUPPOSED to hurt. That's not an okw fault, it's a game feature. If you don't over extend your sturms you won't lose them, and thus won't have to replace them. 90% of the time it works every time.

It should hurt all factions in a similar way. It shouldn't hurt one faction more than other. In case of okw losing engineering units hurts more. And they die similarly quickly irrespective of their higher cost when repairing, for example. You also need them more because of allies who have more spammable mines. Losing two model on overs to a mine will cost you 80 manpower. Allies can walk their infantry in such mines much more freely.
25 Jun 2020, 22:31 PM

It should hurt all factions in a similar way. It shouldn't hurt one faction more than other. In case of okw losing engineering units hurts more. And they die similarly quickly irrespective of their higher cost when repairing, for example. You also need them more because of allies who have more spammable mines. Losing two model on overs to a mine will cost you 80 manpower. Allies can walk their infantry in such mines much more freely.

Why does it hurt okw more than say ost? If you lose your sturms you can 100%play the game with out building another one because your buildings build themselves and you have a building that can repair tanks and another building that can heal your infantry. Ost loses their pios aaaaaaaand they have no choice but replace them because they can't repair or even tech up.

Sturms can do much more and do it better than anyone else and this is mind blowing but that comes at a cost. Ate you going to give ost assault sturms because it would be nice if their repair unit could salvage and put their sweeper away? No of course you won't nobody will because they understand that power comes at a cost. Sturms are powerful and pay for it. Don't want to replace them you can either :treat them like squishy expensive infantry and not try and assault the enemy base sector with them so that they can retreat safely OR suck it up if you can't figure out when to retreat them and when their time on the front is too risky and treat the according.

Not every aspect of the game should have EZ mode hand holding alternatives for actually playing the game so that any and all risk can be mitigated. Okw has a building. A BUILDING. that can repair tanks expensive sturms was very much considered in their design.
26 Jun 2020, 00:01 AM

Kind of have to agree with sentiments expressed. Sturmpios mid to early game are already pretty busy as it is having to make use of them for sweeping, repairing, building and as a combat unit meaning that if a player mines rather aggressively it can oft feel as though you need two sweeper squads though that's seldom a logical choice.
26 Jun 2020, 00:02 AM

But at the same time they're a superb unit, and OKW's faction design in general can be summed as high risk high reward
26 Jun 2020, 01:21 AM

*excludes getting hit with an indirect while repairing

Happens to all factions but is pretty heartbreaking as okw.
26 Jun 2020, 01:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2020, 01:21 AMKoRneY

*excludes getting hit with an indirect while repairing

Happens to all factions but is pretty heartbreaking as okw.
I can honestly say I've never had my repair engies hit by indirect fire. My mind is boggled that it's a regular occurrence to be frank....

Funny enough crashing planes? All the damn time...
26 Jun 2020, 01:43 AM

They should start with rifles

Sturms are borderline broken earlygame
26 Jun 2020, 02:00 AM

They should start with rifles

Sturms are borderline broken earlygame

An mp reduction and a muni investment into stgs wouldn't be a bad direction I don't think. Certainly better than "give them ost pios but better".
26 Jun 2020, 04:14 AM

Just an idea for a new unit, regarding the pios squad, should there ever be a commander revamp that could fit into a doc like Scavenge
26 Jun 2020, 05:16 AM

Why does it hurt okw more than say ost? If you lose your sturms you can 100%play the game with out building another one because your buildings build themselves and you have a building that can repair tanks and another building that can heal your infantry. Ost loses their pios aaaaaaaand they have no choice but replace them because they can't repair or even tech up.

Sturms can do much more and do it better than anyone else and this is mind blowing but that comes at a cost. Ate you going to give ost assault sturms because it would be nice if their repair unit could salvage and put their sweeper away? No of course you won't nobody will because they understand that power comes at a cost. Sturms are powerful and pay for it. Don't want to replace them you can either :treat them like squishy expensive infantry and not try and assault the enemy base sector with them so that they can retreat safely OR suck it up if you can't figure out when to retreat them and when their time on the front is too risky and treat the according.

Not every aspect of the game should have EZ mode hand holding alternatives for actually playing the game so that any and all risk can be mitigated. Okw has a building. A BUILDING. that can repair tanks expensive sturms was very much considered in their design.

It does happen to lose sturms repairing your truck/tank more often than 5 men sappers repairing a mortar pit. The only difference is the price. The combat value of sturms isn't that great lategame, especially that the sweeper must be almost always toggled on. You have high risk, high reward unit while allies have (especially soviets but also USF and UKF) much less risk/high reward engineer units.

The sturms deign migh be quite oppressive early game but becomes a burden lategame. I would really think of a pio (maybe even 5 men) to be purchased for them lategame after setting up all trucks. It would also help with the KT.

Another approach could be to equip some other unit with a sweeper (no toggle). Lategame they could be allowed to be upgraded with sweepers.

Yet another approach could be to equpip IR halftrack with the sweeper.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS