Login

russian armor

Medium tanks - Review

1 Jun 2020, 05:33 AM

The last patch reduced the target size of all mediums, but I doubt it made any impact on the survivability (as intended in the patch). Personally, when i play with mediums, say p4, every shot from allied AT/TDs connect. They supposed to miss some shots as the target size change intended, right?

1 Jun 2020, 06:12 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I mean, obviously survivability increased, but only marginally. The reduction in target size by two reduces natural hit chance by (depending on ranfe) ~8%. And then you have to subtract the chance of scatter hits, which can only be estimated. I'm quite confident that you can at least half that value though. So mediums got a slight buff, leading to one or two more shots missing per game, which is what balance team wanted. The change will be unnoticable in aingle engagements though.
1 Jun 2020, 07:50 AM

I mean, obviously survivability increased, but only marginally. The reduction in target size by two reduces natural hit chance by (depending on ranfe) ~8%. And then you have to subtract the chance of scatter hits, which can only be estimated. I'm quite confident that you can at least half that value though. So mediums got a slight buff, leading to one or two more shots missing per game, which is what balance team wanted. The change will be unnoticable in aingle engagements though.

Fair, I guess it is very hard to notice...
MMX
1 Jun 2020, 08:13 AM

It might be hard to notice for single shots, but due to the way probabilities add up even small changes can make a difference.
Think of it this way:
The target size reduction gives roughly a 10% lower chance to be hit on average. This may not seem to matter too much at first, but if you consider the chance to be 4-shotted (or two-shotted by the dreaded double pak combo) the chances of this happening will be ~ 35% lower (1-0.9^4 = 0.656) than before.
So assuming you had a 50/50 chance of losing your tank vs. two, well-placed paks before the patch, the chances are now roughly 33/66 in your favor.
Ofc scatter hits are unaffected by this change and will still happen with the same probability, so the real survivability gain will be a bit lower, as Hannibal pointed out already. Nonetheless, it can make a difference!
1 Jun 2020, 08:41 AM

The purpose was to nerf handle AT: Piat/zooks/schrek. And it might have work with schrek and piat (they miss between half and a quarter of their shot per game) but failed to prevent rangers zooks spam since they have a bonus of damage and penetration with it + 3 zooks which overpass the slight size adjustement.
1 Jun 2020, 09:01 AM

The purpose was to nerf handle AT: Piat/zooks/schrek. And it might have work with schrek and piat (they miss between half and a quarter of their shot per game)

It wasn't. The goal was primarily to make mediums a bit better against double ATGs, and a bit more durable in general.

but failed to prevent rangers zooks spam since they have a bonus of damage and accuracy with it + 3 zooks which overpass the slight size adjustement.

Elite bazookas only have increased penetration and damage. The accuracy is the same as regular zooks.
1 Jun 2020, 09:08 AM

It wasn't. The goal was primarily to make mediums a bit better against double ATGs, and a bit more durable in general.

Elite bazookas only have increased penetration and damage. The accuracy is the same as regular zooks.

Yep my bad, I edited. But in reality there was no real target told by the dev, but since it would be normal that AT gun and TD connect most of their shot, it is more likely to be for handle AT weapon.
1 Jun 2020, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Hit chance scales linearly. So unless the hit chance would already be greater than 100% it affects all units. Units with high scatter are affected more though
1 Jun 2020, 12:27 PM

Units with high scatter are affected more though

So like the Panther, which already has a questionable stationary accuracy...
2 Jun 2020, 02:01 AM

The purpose was to make MTs more viable in general, to the (slight) detriment of anti-armor capability versus MTs.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 27
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment