Login

russian armor

German Lehf Artillery

16 May 2020, 03:44 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post on these forums. I am a 95% allies only player, and I usually never complain about a singular unit in the game. I’ve never written a post complaining about Axis op or whatever. However, there is a unit that has proven to be extremely bothersome through all of my 1300 hours playing. (Id have more hours but I usually take 6-8 month breaks because this game can get cancerous.)

That unit is the German 10.5 CM leFH artillery gun.

While not necessarily overpowered in the sense that it does too much damage, or that it’s too accurate, the biggest issue I have with it is the counter battery ability. This artillery gun can counter battery mortars and pack howitzers, which is quite ridiculous to say the least, and it shouldn’t be this way as the aforementioned units have no way to counter fire. I understand, we should get proper counters to it, blah blah blah, but what if you’ve gone airborne? Waste 320 manpower to kill the crew and lose the airborne squad?

Rush your priests to the frontline only to have them hunted down by a panther? I understand, there are ways to play the game, and if you have a premade team your quality of life is improved by a thousand. But seriously, the leFH counter battery is pretty ridiculous.

I don’t want to be forced to play a certain commander just to have a call in ability to kill this static unit, and in my opinion, leFH guns should not counter light artillery.

What do you guys think? What can I do better vs this unit when I don’t have a call in ability?
16 May 2020, 05:05 AM

I will wager a guess and say this is a post about 4v4.
16 May 2020, 07:34 AM

Counter battery should be reworked or replaced that's for sure.
16 May 2020, 09:06 AM

Heavy artillery is supposed to hard counter light artillery. Whats wrong with that ? What do you think is the role of artillery if not to counter static units?
Because heavy artillery is static and cannot run away or dodge call-ins it should have other strengths and advantages over mobile artillery to make up for its weaknesses, don't you think?

The counter artillery on LeFH is also a joke. The only think it does is help noobs with 30APM so you don't have to click a button on a map once in a while. It does not add any buffs to firing rate or recovery time unlike counter barrage on the german mortar. Complaining about it is satire.
16 May 2020, 09:21 AM

There are some maps where the lefh is strong in teamgames others where it only works to counter light arty pieces so it might be useful to plan accordingly on maps that lead to arty spam in the lategame lefhs and ml20s are easy to counter with recon + strong offmap arty drops if you are 1300h in i guess you know which work and which don't.
If you want to win and play competetive you might be forced to play a certain meta every game especially in teamgames with randoms where you might be forces to carry your team and watch out that their armies aren't getting hardcountered.
If you pick your commander just for fun please don't complain about not having fun if you are losing the game.
16 May 2020, 10:47 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post on these forums. I am a 95% allies only player, and I usually never complain about a singular unit in the game. I’ve never written a post complaining about Axis op or whatever. However, there is a unit that has proven to be extremely bothersome through all of my 1300 hours playing. (Id have more hours but I usually take 6-8 month breaks because this game can get cancerous.)

That unit is the German 10.5 CM leFH artillery gun.

While not necessarily overpowered in the sense that it does too much damage, or that it’s too accurate, the biggest issue I have with it is the counter battery ability. This artillery gun can counter battery mortars and pack howitzers, which is quite ridiculous to say the least, and it shouldn’t be this way as the aforementioned units have no way to counter fire. I understand, we should get proper counters to it, blah blah blah, but what if you’ve gone airborne? Waste 320 manpower to kill the crew and lose the airborne squad?

Rush your priests to the frontline only to have them hunted down by a panther? I understand, there are ways to play the game, and if you have a premade team your quality of life is improved by a thousand. But seriously, the leFH counter battery is pretty ridiculous.

they're quite ez to destroy with an off-map arty strike and someone who has vision.
I don’t want to be forced to play a certain commander just to have a call in ability to kill this static unit, and in my opinion, leFH guns should not counter light artillery.

What do you guys think? What can I do better vs this unit when I don’t have a call in ability?
16 May 2020, 11:39 AM

CB working as intended.

LeFHs often become your only consistent way of dealing with B-4s and ML-20s, esp if the enemy AA is dense and scout planes get shot down before they can do a proper sweep - preventing the use of call-ins. Don't get me started on trying to counter double skill Howie as Ostheer. I go straight to LeFHs if I see that thing coming.

I would advise playing many games as Axis against decent Allied players who use Royal Artillery and the aforementioned pieces. It should become much apparent about how frequently this thing will miss the target location in the FOW, though that can work to your advantage if people have units nearby. On Hamburg (one of the most allied biased maps and small scale) maybe 1/4 CB shots will actually do any kind of real damage to a Sexton in live field testing. It says a lot that even with 5-6 sextons raining death on my positions, my CB LeFH wasn't able to kill a single one of them. Got the Katy good though. (TWO direct hits are required on a Sexton/Priest and they'll be finished before your barrage is iirc)

16 May 2020, 15:58 PM

Map design impacts heavily on the games. Especially in 3v3+ maps. On some maps,static arty is super strong, on some other, it's pointless to build. Is LeFH a good piece of arty? Is it OP? situationally.
16 May 2020, 17:57 PM

Heavy artillery is supposed to hard counter light artillery. Whats wrong with that ? What do you think is the role of artillery if not to counter static units?
Because heavy artillery is static and cannot run away or dodge call-ins it should have other strengths and advantages over mobile artillery to make up for its weaknesses, don't you think?

The counter artillery on LeFH is also a joke. The only think it does is help noobs with 30APM so you don't have to click a button on a map once in a while. It does not add any buffs to firing rate or recovery time unlike counter barrage on the german mortar. Complaining about it is satire.

I totally agree they should counter light artillery. That’s why you use the strike on the mortar or the pack howitzer.

But why should the specific counter battery ability target light artillery? It completely takes mortars and other light guns out of the game once they pop on the CB ability.
16 May 2020, 19:36 PM

Hello all,

Playing AT, if you want to build a ML20, you still need to be able to counter their LEFH with offmap, because you'll lose the arty battle about 80% of the time. Neither howitzer is terribly accurate, but the LEFH does just enough better that it will destroy the ML20 more often than the ML20 destroys it. In general, using howitzers to counter other howitzers isn't usually a good use of pop cap. You're normally better off shelling units fighting over VP's or randomly shooting into traffic lanes or reinforce points.

Playing random, you are limited to Terror or Combined. If you want to go Terror, you'll need someone that can do recon.

As for your original premise about not wanting to be forced into a commander choice, there really isn't a solution. The game is all about choices and counters. If you don't like having to pick the counter, then you can try being the one with the LEFH and forcing them to pick the counter.
16 May 2020, 20:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 May 2020, 05:05 AMFarlion
I will wager a guess and say this is a post about 4v4.

Or 2v2/3v3.

The drawback with counterbattery is that it will not be shooting towards any other targets and if nothing is shooting it is doing nothing at all.

You may not like it, but team games is all about having a balanced commander composition. If no one picks an offmap which can 1 shot static emplacements you are doing it wrong. If no one gets recon tools, that's also a mistake.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★