Login

russian armor

Unit vs unit engagements

27 Apr 2020, 20:59 PM

Is there an upto date form of unit ranges and such stats, I've looked around but can only find things from years ago.

Basically I want to know who beats who and at what range. vanilla 4 man Tommies vs vanilla volks toe to toe, who wins, that sort of thing as I am getting punished this patch for playing as badly as I did previous :clap:.
27 Apr 2020, 22:11 PM

Just get the cheat commands mod and test them live.
27 Apr 2020, 22:18 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Stats on squads give you way less information about actual power than it would for vehicles.

The problem is that a lot depends on model focusing and retaining DPS, as well as short movements from cover to cover and (grenade) abilities.

Raw stats like DPS and effective health are only part of the equation. But otherwise you will have to do with coh2db.org. If you do not use units that have been heavily reworked in the last 2 years, it's mostly fine.
28 Apr 2020, 16:54 PM

Stats on squads give you way less information about actual power than it would for vehicles.

The problem is that a lot depends on model focusing and retaining DPS, as well as short movements from cover to cover and (grenade) abilities.

Raw stats like DPS and effective health are only part of the equation. But otherwise you will have to do with coh2db.org. If you do not use units that have been heavily reworked in the last 2 years, it's mostly fine.

What do you mean by model focusing and retaining DPS?

Do you just mean using all your squads to focus fire?
28 Apr 2020, 17:12 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

What do you mean by model focusing and retaining DPS?

Do you just mean using all your squads to focus fire?

I am talking about targeting of single models that the players cannot control. I'm not 100% sure how infantry models pick their target, but there are some values like "threat" (however that is determined, for tanks it has something to do with penetration, for inf I do not know), but I think the most important one is distance. So in an engagement, infantry models will pick the closest target, or at least I assume they do. But it is impossible to control this in the game, so for the players it is basically random which models are targeted. This can lead to your whole squad focusing down one single model of one single enemy squad one after another (best case for you), or your squad spreading the damage equally because everyone targets a different model (worst case).

The targeted squad will therefore be able to retain its DPS for longer if the damage is spread or shorter amount of time if a model gets focused.

For example Grenadiere draw the short end of the stick since they run around in a V-shape formation. This means that they have one single model that will make contact with the enemy and is then the primary target. Other squads often have two members at the front, which leads to a more spread-out damage and late model drops.

You can make theoretical calculations with DPS and health to state which squad should win, but there will be a decent randomness factor due to this model focusing.
28 Apr 2020, 17:25 PM

Ah I'm starting to understand what you are saying now.

I am not completely certain on how infantry v infantry combat works but I believe there is also a chance to instant kill a model even if they are at full health which adds an extra layer of complexity to infantry v infantry combat.
28 Apr 2020, 17:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I am not completely certain on how infantry v infantry combat works but I believe there is also a chance to instant kill a model even if they are at full health which adds an extra layer of complexity to infantry v infantry combat.

No that's not the case. There are no "infantry crits", outside of special units like snipers or scoped sniper rifles like JLI or Paths.

An infantry squad will target the first model it appears on sight. If there are more than one available model, it's more likely to spread out the fire.

Support weapons tend to have the crew operating the weapon with a lower priority, hence if possible, they are less desired as targets to get killed.

Example of focusing down models: https://clips.twitch.tv/EncouragingLongWolfYouDontSay
28 Apr 2020, 18:25 PM

I think this is mostly patched out and normal rifles can no longer insta-kill a model. Conscripts for example used to have 16dmg on hit, but low accuracy. This could result in instant model kill, which would win the engagement. Now they have only 8 damage with much greater accuracy.
28 Apr 2020, 21:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Damage it's 12, which means some of it is generally wasted early game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★