Login

russian armor

Attack move

23 Mar 2020, 11:59 AM

Attack move make units stop as soon as they encounter enemy units. This is a good way to move units that you are not currently watching.

Since it is a bit difficult to estimate the range of units would it possible to either change how this ability works or to another for units with sort range-mid range so that they actually stop at close range for SMGs and mid range for mid range weapons?
23 Mar 2020, 12:09 PM

While that'd be a neat feature, I very much doubt it's possible to patch in. You'd have to code that in the first place.
23 Mar 2020, 12:21 PM

Would be really nice if they could come at least slightly closer, because from my experience the first model starts shooting and the rest are just out of range and seem to be holidaying :)
23 Mar 2020, 12:26 PM

Would be really nice if they could come at least slightly closer, because from my experience the first model starts shooting and the rest are just out of range and seem to be holidaying :)

I find its main function for infantry is to stop them charging to their deaths: they stop and bark at you for orders.

In that sense, perhaps CQC units attack moving to close might well be a bad thing.
23 Mar 2020, 12:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 12:26 PMLago

I find its main function for infantry is to stop them charging to their deaths: they stop and bark at you for orders.

In that sense, perhaps CQC units attack moving to close might well be a bad thing.

Yep
23 Mar 2020, 12:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 12:26 PMLago

It could be a toggle option for QCB.

The problems are:
These infantries have little reason to move closer than 10
It is difficult to estimate distance
Even if you do estimate correctly some model will be left behind.
23 Mar 2020, 12:39 PM

I usually don't A-move my close range troops for this reason. I usually react fast enough to not have them walk to their deaths anyway, so having them stop at max range is usually worse than just having them move closer for a second into enemy fire on a normal move order.
23 Mar 2020, 13:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 12:39 PMVipper
It could be a toggle option for QCB.

The problems are:
These infantries have little reason to move closer than 10
It is difficult to estimate distance
Even if you do estimate correctly some model will be left behind.

Perhaps. Then it's a matter of judging if the functionality is worth the extra complexity in the UI.

It's mostly moot though: I'm next to certain this isn't something that could be added without a janky workaround and a ton of work to implement it.
23 Mar 2020, 14:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 13:23 PMLago

Perhaps. Then it's a matter of judging if the functionality is worth the extra complexity in the UI.

It's mostly moot though: I'm next to certain this isn't something that could be added without a janky workaround and a ton of work to implement it.

It seem that it is simple enough to implement.
23 Mar 2020, 14:23 PM

Anyone knows why attack move on most scout cars such as the UC is bugged af? From my experience they literally drive up to faust range before they stop moving and shoot
23 Mar 2020, 14:25 PM

Anyone knows why attack move on most scout cars such as the UC is bugged af? From my experience they literally drive up to faust range before they stop moving and shoot

Deacceleration, you can see this most prominently on OKW flak HT, which with a-move will start setting upwaaaay earlier then it stops, because it "stopped" already, but model was still deaccelerating.

For some reason it works like that with a-move, but not with manual micro as in manually controlled vehicles response without this kind of "drifting".
23 Mar 2020, 14:35 PM

This is rather weird but the UC has crazy high mobility stat that might be messing with the unit's pathing.
23 Mar 2020, 15:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 14:00 PMVipper

Could you make a test mod for it?
23 Mar 2020, 15:41 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 14:00 PMVipper

If the modding tools cannot do it, then the patch-team cannot either.
Move commands are not abilities, these are actions hidden away in the core-game.
23 Mar 2020, 15:49 PM

If the modding tools cannot do it, then the patch-team cannot either.
Move commands are not abilities, these are actions hidden away in the core-game.

There seem to be way to do it with the tools. For distance flamer units will move to range 20.
23 Mar 2020, 15:58 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 15:49 PMVipper
There seem to be way to do it with the tools. For distance flamer units will move to range 20.

That sounds like it is linked to the maximum weapon range.
23 Mar 2020, 16:00 PM

That sounds like it is linked to the maximum weapon range.

Well one could probably add a "invisible weapon" with no damage with max range the desired one.
23 Mar 2020, 16:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 16:00 PMVipper

Well one could probably add a "invisible weapon" with no damage with max range the desired one.

Not only is that not possible, that would be the most inane way to try going about it and would only cause more problems down the line. Attack Move is fine and doesn't need some ridiculous Spaghetti code added.

If you don't understand the backend of the game and the tools you're attempting to theorycraft for, don't speak so matter-of-factly about how "easy" supposed solutions would be, because I guarantee you they aren't easy.
23 Mar 2020, 16:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 16:12 PMJPA32

Not only is that not possible, that would be the most inane way to try going about it and would only cause more problems down the line. Attack Move is fine and doesn't need some ridiculous Spaghetti code added.

If you don't understand the backend of the game and the tools you're attempting to theorycraft for, don't speak so matter-of-factly about how "easy" supposed solutions would be, because I guarantee you they aren't easy.

I have explained what the problem with attack move are.
23 Mar 2020, 16:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2020, 16:16 PMVipper

I have explained what the problem with attack move are.

Sorry, correction.

"Attack Move is fine if you have 2 braincells to rub together and understand the basic concept of micro."
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★