Login

russian armor

A redesign of Sherman

27 Feb 2020, 00:19 AM

How do you go from implying USF has tons of AT options for dealing with the Panzer IV to there only being the M36?

A M4A3 with support from ATGs or bazookas can deal with a Panzer IV adequately enough, and as it is the close range penetration of the M4A3 is fine versus the Ostheer Panzer IV (fun fact, the M4A3 AP shots have more close range penetration than the 76mm AP profile proposed here) With veterancy things become more difficult, sure, but overall IMO the Panzer IV is not so much a reason for the M36 to be so powerful as is the Panther, which the M4A3 is hopelessly inadequate against.

In other word the M36 can be toned vs PzIV and it will not cause any problems. I can not disagree with that but others do.

(Fun fact most tank battle do not take place in range 0 and the suggestions it to increase far penetration by 20%...)

Ironically this proposal doesn't actually meet this requirement anyway as this new 76mm Sherman would do terribly versus the OKW Panzer IV or vet 2 Ostheer Panzer IV. The only major change is that in this world the USF roster has lost a major AI tool and generalist in the M4A3.

And open the way for specialized units like the 105mm which is completely overshadowed by M4A3 Sherman Dozer.

As I have explained the M4A3 is currently imo an excellent Tank that make the other versions of the Sherman less attractive. The proposed redesign make room for each versions of the Sherman to bring something different to the table.

But the questions remains what in your opinion would be good stat for Sherman to used vs mediums?
27 Feb 2020, 00:28 AM

You always try to make the game boring

Sherman doesn't need redesign

only Ez8 needs some buff
27 Feb 2020, 06:08 AM

The 76 got a really cool redesign with the HVAP trade off, same with dozer blades and you want to throw all those hours of mod team work out the window.

Vipper maybe you should make your own mod with all these extensive redesigns to royal engineers, gammon bombs and removing abilities from Shermans. It will be very popular I can assure you
27 Feb 2020, 09:02 AM

The 76 got a really cool redesign with the HVAP trade off, same with dozer blades and you want to throw all those hours of mod team work out the window.

All the Sherman variant are great, yet many of them see little action simply because the M4A3/M36 combo is too cost efficient.

I do not want to trow anything out the window, I simply want to improve the game.

The proposed change aim at two things:

One is to create room for different versions of Sherman but removing the HE round from a stock unit and move that utility to doctrinal units as it should be.

Two to create the opportunity to nerf the M36 by making the stock Sherman better vs T3 units and opening the way for the M36 to oriented vs T4 units and super heavies.

Vipper maybe you should make your own mod with all these extensive redesigns to royal engineers, gammon bombs and removing abilities from Shermans. It will be very popular I can assure you

Maybe you should focus on what you do and not in what I do. Maybe thenyou can make your own mode.
27 Feb 2020, 09:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2020, 09:02 AMVipper

All the Sherman variant are great, yet many of them see little action simply because the M4A3/M36 combo is too cost efficient.

Because they are great on paper only. Ez8 is a great tank on paper but completely shut down by Panther and Jpz4 for OKW and panther for Ostheer.
If you buy a tank with better AT than AI and a bit more health but that is countered by better tanks few minutes later then you stop building it and prefer a version with better AI than AT because at then end the result will be the same except you'll deal more damage to infantry on the mean time.
This situation has nothing to do with Jackson. Even if you remove the M4A3 people will switch to scott with Jackson.

Saying that, I agree that increasing stock sherman AT and reducing Jackson strength vs mediums is the best move possible but it should be made uppon OKW's Pz4 and not Ostheer's one.

27 Feb 2020, 09:41 AM

Nerf M36 straight then? No buff in return, no balance after it. Just a plain nerf hammer, a real nerf like reducing the trashy 60 range to an average 45. Reduce its ROF aswell.

At least vippers is negotiating. You should be glad about that. S76 will have more use if it becomes stock. The mod hours are itself worthless as it is now because it is simply overshadow by OPness..
27 Feb 2020, 09:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2020, 09:25 AMEsxile

Because they are great on paper only. Ez8 is a great tank on paper but completely shut down by Panther and Jpz4 for OKW and panther for Ostheer.

As some people say TDs (and actually very expensive TDs) doing their Job now how is that a problem?
27 Feb 2020, 10:12 AM

Shermans are fine.

What is not fine is massed double schreck men lololing face tanking shermans and taking them out in 1 or 2 volleys.

Panthers outclass mediums so badly its almost always not worth the resources to bring in medium tanks or premium mediums even.

Coh 1 had schrecks toned down at extreme ranges for the same reason. They were smashing mediums too effectively at long ranges when massed.
27 Feb 2020, 10:15 AM

Nerf M36 straight then? No buff in return, no balance after it. Just a plain nerf hammer, a real nerf like reducing the trashy 60 range to an average 45. Reduce its ROF aswell.

At least vippers is negotiating. You should be glad about that. S76 will have more use if it becomes stock. The mod hours are itself worthless as it is now because it is simply overshadow by OPness..

45 range and you might as well delete the Jackson out the game

It needs a slight mobility nerf to be put down to par with Firefly and SU85 and that's it.

Nerf Sherman pen and axis would build nothing but P4
27 Feb 2020, 10:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2020, 09:45 AMVipper

As some people say TDs (and actually very expensive TDs) doing their Job now how is that a problem?

Where did I say it is a problem?
You've the option between 2 tanks, one is AI the other is AT and both are going to be countered by the same opposing tank. Which one do you build?
This question is not a trap and you can answer the Ez8 if you want but that's on you, people who play USF more frequently see a better ROI building the AI one, you can't simply deny it.
27 Feb 2020, 10:45 AM

The real problem is the M4 takes forever to switch from HE shells to AP shells. You have to be proactive about going anti tank with the M4, which means if you get rushed while you’re using HE you’re gardened.
27 Feb 2020, 11:06 AM

45 range and you might as well delete the Jackson out the game

It needs a slight mobility nerf to be put down to par with Firefly and SU85 and that's it.

Nerf Sherman pen and axis would build nothing but P4

You missed the suggestion. The suggestions is the opposite to buff the penetration of the stock Sherman and make a better vs PzIV and to remove the extra utility of HE rounds.
27 Feb 2020, 11:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2020, 10:38 AMEsxile

Where did I say it is a problem?
You've the option between 2 tanks, one is AI the other is AT and both are going to be countered by the same opposing tank. Which one do you build?
This question is not a trap and you can answer the Ez8 if you want but that's on you, people who play USF more frequently see a better ROI building the AI one, you can't simply deny it.

First flaw of you argument is that you describe M4A3 as AI and the Easy8 as AT when both are main battle tank and can fill all roles. M4A3 can simply become exceptional AI using HE while Easy8 has great penetration.

Deny what?
That is exactly what I am pointing out. As long M36 can obliterate PzIV from range 60 going M4A3+M36 will be a better option that using other Sherman versions.

The reason Easy8 is not used is that M4A3+M36 combo is more cost efficient than 2 Easy8s and available as stock.
27 Feb 2020, 16:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2020, 11:06 AMVipper

You missed the suggestion. The suggestions is the opposite to buff the penetration of the stock Sherman and make a better vs PzIV and to remove the extra utility of HE rounds.

He's trolling you vipper, I hate to see this so called allied experts players that scream at the top of their lungs all the things they don't know and all the effort we all waste to give them a sliver chance to learn. I learnt the game statistics with you and your righteous personality. It is just not the most appealing to those who demand like babies for a candy.

The suggestion you raise is all fair and square, it could start to solve the stale TD meta (allied ones at least) by doing first what always allied players requested, better medium fights.

Let's focus on the productive feedback.
27 Feb 2020, 16:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2020, 11:06 AMVipper

He probably just means “nerf Jackson pen” and wrote Sherman by mistake.
27 Feb 2020, 16:12 PM

You could take the opposite road to make usf players go for e8+m36. Reduce the Sherman M4A3 hp to 3/4 of its current value, or leave it as a 3 shot to kill tank. E8 will be necessary to support and spot for the Jackson more than ever before.

The cost efficiency of sherman's will remain as long as you micro it out of danger, it has smoke at least and self repair
27 Feb 2020, 16:15 PM

You could take the opposite road to make usf players go for e8+m36. Reduce the Sherman M4A3 hp to 3/4 of its current value, or leave it as a 3 shot to kill tank. E8 will be necessary to support and spot for the Jackson more than ever before.

The cost efficiency of sherman's will remain as long as you micro it out of danger, it has smoke at least and self repair

And you’re murdering the M36 because:............
27 Feb 2020, 16:15 PM

He probably just means “nerf Jackson pen” and wrote Sherman by mistake.

I think he did mean to say Sherman, he is just shooting doom prophecies ad he always do, the reason behind that is he doesn't want to have a hard game. He also didn't replied to the whole OP. Just cherrypicking arguments to derail and distract people following the thread.

27 Feb 2020, 16:27 PM

And you’re murdering the M36 because:............

I don't really have anything against the m36, but it's unnecessary painful to even discuss about what it should achieve by design and because of that I have set my threshold about it as narrow as I would. It is too convenient and the only drawback is it's cost that is easily obtainable with superior stock infantry and decent to good tw. Just save fuel for it and it will obliterate any tank, an easy solution for a hard mini game ingame that is tank fights.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★