Login

russian armor

Two-Step PGren Upgrade

26 Nov 2019, 13:25 PM

Ostheer's got no light tank. That's part of its design, and means it needs to field infantry counters to light vehicles.

The best one it has against lights is Panzershreck PGrens, but these are 100 munitions. If you're on the back foot, that can be a problem.

If I recall correctly, Relic's previous solution to this was to make the Panzerschreck upgrade two parts: you'd buy one Panzershreck for half the cost, then you'd buy the next. This created an inevitable problem of one-Panzershreck PGren blobs, so they got bundled together.

But that ability to buy lesser AT for less munitions and fully upgrade later was a neat feature that could be worth bringing back.

• What if PGrens could get two Panzerbusche AT rifles (they're in the campaign) for 50 munitions? They're much less effective than shrecks, but they do the job on the cheap.

The PGrens could then upgrade those AT rifles to Panzerschrecks for another 50 munitions.
26 Nov 2019, 13:37 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I like it! Though the Panzerbüchse needs to be tested carefully, because weapons in the campaign are often stronger than in multiplayer.
26 Nov 2019, 13:40 PM

I like it! Though the Panzerbüchse needs to be tested carefully, because weapons in the campaign are often stronger than in multiplayer.

You'd want to rebalance it, yes.
26 Nov 2019, 13:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Nov 2019, 13:25 PMLago
Ostheer's got no light tank. That's part of its design, and means it needs to field infantry counters to light vehicles.

The best one it has against lights is Panzershreck PGrens, but these are 100 munitions. If you're on the back foot, that can be a problem.

If I recall correctly, Relic's previous solution to this was to make the Panzerschreck upgrade two parts: you'd buy one Panzershreck for half the cost, then you'd buy the next. This created an inevitable problem of one-Panzershreck PGren blobs, so they got bundled together.

But that ability to buy lesser AT for less munitions and fully upgrade later was a neat feature that could be worth bringing back.

• What if PGrens could get two Panzerbusche AT rifles (they're in the campaign) for 50 munitions? They're much less effective than shrecks, but they do the job on the cheap.

The PGrens could then upgrade those AT rifles to Panzerschrecks for another 50 munitions.

As my friend SneakEye, I think the idea is good but has to be carefully tested for the sake of effectiveness, yes.
But! A big BUT! What about the fact that Germans didn't use Panzerbuche at '44-'45? Or there is historical proof they did? Just this aesthetic part of the upgrade makes it a bit...weird.
And yes, if it's an AT RIFLE, how hard will be for them to hit infantry with them? Because if those are going to be as inaccurate as the Shreck that's not going to be any better, except for being more early. Just the thing is that PZGs have to be an effective Anti-Infantry unit until the Upgrade to become clearly Anti-Tank, yes, BUT, if it's earlier game, as why you've suggested this idea, the infantry still plays a HUGE role in that part of it, and they just have to be still effective against infantry at that specific match period.
26 Nov 2019, 14:09 PM

Having recently played through the ToW missions for the achievements: AT rifles are insane in SP.

In fact, they render actual AT guns totally obsolete, which have a tiny range and no prioritise vehicle button and do like 10 damage a hit compared to the rattle of AT rifle tank munching.
26 Nov 2019, 14:26 PM

And yes, if it's an AT RIFLE, how hard will be for them to hit infantry with them? Because if those are going to be as inaccurate as the Shreck that's not going to be any better, except for being more early.

I'm thinking something very similar to the Penal PTRS.

As for them just being worse Shrecks, that's the idea. The two AT rifles are meant to be loosely equivalent to one Panzershreck.
26 Nov 2019, 14:40 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

But! A big BUT! What about the fact that Germans didn't use Panzerbuche at '44-'45? Or there is historical proof they did? Just this aesthetic part of the upgrade makes it a bit...weird.

FYI, The Wehrmacht faction ingame represents the early-to-mid war Eastern front German army: https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/231430/extras/UKF_Blog_Infographic_FactionProfile_Revised.png?t=1574777616
26 Nov 2019, 15:48 PM

Hell no, just no. I’d rather give 1 panzershrek to Pioneers.
26 Nov 2019, 16:22 PM

Why not Panzerbüchse for Pioneers?
26 Nov 2019, 16:51 PM

Why not Panzerbüchse for Pioneers?

I suppose you could do that. That approach has the benefit of being on a very cheap squad, but the drawback that you're then stuck with an AT rifle squad after AT rifles become ineffective.
26 Nov 2019, 17:46 PM

I would rather have a different approach:
Pg cost down to 280-300
Start with 2 ST44 and 2 k98 or 2 MP40
Can upgrade with 2 ST44
Can also upgrade with 1+1 shreck replacing the ST44
26 Nov 2019, 18:12 PM

Permanently Banned
No vipper, ost is very muni constrained.
26 Nov 2019, 18:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Nov 2019, 17:46 PMVipper
Pg cost down to 280-300
Can upgrade with 2 ST44

This is not a good idea.
26 Nov 2019, 18:44 PM

No vipper, ost is very muni constrained.

With the current allied infatry they are also MP constrained, especially with 7 conscript upgrade.
26 Nov 2019, 20:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Nov 2019, 17:46 PMVipper
Pg cost down to 280-300
Can upgrade with 2 ST44

Hilarious
26 Nov 2019, 20:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Nov 2019, 14:26 PMLago

I'm thinking something very similar to the Penal PTRS.

As for them just being worse Shrecks, that's the idea. The two AT rifles are meant to be loosely equivalent to one Panzershreck.

But penals ptrs cost 75 muni IIRC. And then you're stuck as well with a squad whose AT ability becomes obsolete as heavy tanks kick in.
26 Nov 2019, 23:06 PM

But penals ptrs cost 75 muni IIRC.

Penal PTRS rifles have the AT satchel too. Snares are a huge deal.

And then you're stuck as well with a squad whose AT ability becomes obsolete as heavy tanks kick in.

The idea is AT Rifle PGrens can upgrade to Panzershrecks by paying the remaining 50 munitions.
26 Nov 2019, 23:54 PM

I would prefer them on pioneers. Paying 340mp and 60 munitions to counter a ~240mp 10fu light vehicle seems like a poor trade. By putting them on useless in combat pioneers you would solve the problem of Ost early game being weak by a) making pioneers useful and b) helping them against unarmoured vehicles which they get rekt by

You could add a free “unupgrade” upgrade after they get AT rifles so they can be switched to minesweepers after the LV stage.

I would also like to see a x2 PIAT upgrade on tank hunter infantry sections that replaces their AT rifles so that they aren’t dead weight past the LV phase
100 munitions, lose snare and gain 2 PIATs with the same stats as panzerschrecks, and a reinforcement cost increase.
27 Nov 2019, 00:10 AM

I'd like to see 39AT rifle as a commander ability for Pioneer……
27 Nov 2019, 00:37 AM

AT rifles similar to PTRS will hardly work against thing like the T-70, the Quad the AA HT.

Actually PTRS are rather bad vs light due to high aim time and it will be even worse on expensive unit with no snares.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★