Login

russian armor

The Car Thread

7 Nov 2013, 04:33 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

My favorite hobby these days is HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) courses. Thought I'd share if anyone else liked cars.

Was at Motor Sports Ranch Cresson south of Fort Worth Texas. Had a few "wups" moments naturally. Also some amazing footage of a Shelby GT350 and Bryan (the owner) was not afraid to remember its roots as a race car. It has Carol's signature on the dash and everything, awesome car. The GT500 Super Snake was pretty badass as well.

Got on the gas a little too much coming out of the "fish-hook" an inclined hairpin and the rear got light at the crest :D

Then, got into a fight with the microphone cord and "hello hello can you hear me, oh f-ck ****". Dont get distracted at 110mph, lesson learned! The dirt explosion in the car will be a year long cleanup process im sure.

This run featured a 1966 Shelby GT350 that I chased down after some time. Amazing car!

This one I battled a Porshe the entire time and finally won in the end :D

And for the Grand Finale, this one features the 1966 Shelby GT350, a GT500 Super Snake that was crazy powerful (750+ HP) and a pair of Porshe's.

15 Nov 2013, 19:34 PM

So wait wait... is that Mustang yours? Holy fuck... I'm jelly
Also Shelby GT350... wish I EVER saw one IRL

In my country there's a whole ONE racetrack... sucks to live in this shithole :(
Anyways nice driving in the latter videos :)

My favorite hobby these days is HPDE (High Performance Driving Events) courses. Thought I'd share if anyone else liked cars.

Same here, too bad it's soooo expensive a hobby

I own a BMW E36 328i in a nearly mint condition, I'm totally in love with tis car
Here's me on a practice event

Also had on OH SHIT moment

Next event 24th of November, this time with competition, time attack and stuff, videos incoming unless I crash and kill myself.
18 Nov 2013, 21:24 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Wow, that track is hardcore. Screw up and you're wrapped around a pole or a tree!

Yea the gray Mustang is mine. A year old now, my baby is growing up :/

ntd should have taken delivery of his new BMW 435i last weekend, awaiting pics!!!
ntd
20 Nov 2013, 00:34 AM
Admin Black Badge

Here you go Budwise. It's hard to get a good shot of the rear of it with a camera, it looks much better in person. Plan on putting new rims (19" or 20", haven't decided yet), a black grill on replacing that chrome outline, deleting the ugly orange reflectors, and of course throwing a tune on it.

20 Nov 2013, 15:34 PM

20 Nov 2013, 15:55 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

20 Nov 2013, 15:56 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 00:34 AMntd
Here you go Budwise. It's hard to get a good shot of the rear of it with a camera, it looks much better in person. Plan on putting new rims (19" or 20", haven't decided yet), a black grill on replacing that chrome outline, deleting the ugly orange reflectors, and of course throwing a tune on it.

Badass looking car, damn...
20 Nov 2013, 16:03 PM

Totally badass but those orange reflectors are really disturbing :)
21 Nov 2013, 19:46 PM

I'll buy one of these in 15 years :P

Wow, that track is hardcore

That thing was a test track for Polish automaker FSO 30 years ago and hasn't been used since, up until this year.
The only real racing track in the entire country is based in Poznan, however, being the monopolist it's pretty expensive and far away from the city I live in. Sucks to be me.

There are some events hosted on abandoned military airports or karting tracks, so I can still get my fix sometimes ;)
21 Nov 2013, 20:45 PM
Honorary Member Badge

ive always cared more about reliability/comfort than how a car looks. (maybe its my philosphy on life.)

however if i picked a car based on how it looks it be this one ill let you figure out why.

21 Nov 2013, 21:11 PM

That zimmer needs bigger rims, defo.

Just taken a set of 19 BBS LMs off my golf - they were *slighty* too big and scraped the arches. Now need to get the arches painted :(

Rest of it is tuned about as much as it can go w/out charging it in one way or another… KW v3 sus + lowered, full miltek inc sports cats, performance filter, remapped. Pushing about 270 brake I think.

My weekend car is a Westfield with an Astra GTE red top engine - pocketed pistons, forged con rods, Jenvey TBs, dry sumped, straight cut Quaife racing box, LSD etc. etc. Goes like stink :)

Went to a classic car show the other day, they had some fabulous metal there. Never seen a 60s/70s Shelby Cobra in the flesh before - it's gigantic!

They had an immaculate Austin Healey 3000. My car of the show. Fabulous machine.

21 Nov 2013, 21:28 PM

'Merica

ntd
21 Nov 2013, 23:42 PM
Admin Black Badge

That zimmer needs bigger rims, defo.

Just taken a set of 19 BBS LMs off my golf - they were *slighty* too big and scraped the arches. Now need to get the arches painted :(

Rest of it is tuned about as much as it can go w/out charging it in one way or another… KW v3 sus + lowered, full miltek inc sports cats, performance filter, remapped. Pushing about 270 brake I think.

My weekend car is a Westfield with an Astra GTE red top engine - pocketed pistons, forged con rods, Jenvey TBs, dry sumped, straight cut Quaife racing box, LSD etc. etc. Goes like stink :)

Went to a classic car show the other day, they had some fabulous metal there. Never seen a 60s/70s Shelby Cobra in the flesh before - it's gigantic!

They had an immaculate Austin Healey 3000. My car of the show. Fabulous machine.

Wow those two cars are gorgeous, especially that austin healey 3000.
23 Nov 2013, 11:40 AM

I'd never seen an AH 3000 before - seeing it in the flesh was incredible. (It wasn't that one specifically, the one I saw was white at the bottom, and the top was a pale silvery blue, with dark blue leather seats.) Stunning.
1 Dec 2013, 10:29 AM

Some photos of me at local autocross: (click the links for full galleries)

My photos:

Found in the internetz:

ntd
19 Dec 2013, 18:58 PM
Admin Black Badge

Sweet car, looks like a fun track. I love the e36.
19 Dec 2013, 19:43 PM

Here is the current ride. :)

Not actually mine but they are allll the same.

Up until the kids I always had Jeep Wranglers, preferably with three jetskis in tow. (Ok, not on the runs up for skiing). Still, I enjoy the kids more. And one day they too can go skiing and jetskiing.
22 Dec 2013, 17:31 PM

Was at Motor Sports Ranch Cresson south of Fort Worth Texas. Had a few "wups" moments naturally. Also some amazing footage of a Shelby GT350 and Bryan (the owner) was not afraid to remember its roots as a race car. It has Carol's signature on the dash and everything, awesome car. The GT500 Super Snake was pretty badass as well.

OMG! Awesome videos. And I'm SO envious! :) It's really a car I dream of.

I noticed you didn't use the transmission as much as I'd expected. It meant taking some corners at rather low rpm. But ofc. it's a very powerfull engine som maybe that didn't matter too much? Or perhaps I'm thinking too much of rally and not race tracks...

I hope everyone else will add anything they have to this thread. I'm nuts for it.
22 Dec 2013, 17:48 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I was having some oil temp issues so I was trying not to keep the RPM's above 5K for prolonged periods. It was a good thing though as it forced me to keep my entry and exit speeds up higher rather than rely on the raw power on exit. But yea you're right, if I were doing a timed lap I'd be keeping it in the power band a little more on a few of those corners. That said, the Coyote motor has a ton of low end power so its not a big deal compared to Rally cars who rely on the high revs and turbo spooling.
23 Dec 2013, 10:12 AM

OK, my turn, I guess.

A mustang is one thing that could make me emigrate :). They're just not an option for normal people over here.

Firstly it'll get hit by a tax of 200%, making it cost like 2 to 3 years income.
Secondly it's almost impossible to get insurance for. The Premium will be prohibitive.
Thirdly....well, where would I buy one? There are no dealers selling it. You have to buy it used or do you own import. There isn't even a place where you can rent one!

Damned!

So, earlier this year, to be realistic, I had to look at getting as much value for money as possible - from a fun-to-drive point of view.

I had actually discarded Ford because the ones I had driven, had been OK-ish, but I never associated them with any big deal.

By accident I tried this one (well the same one as in the Picture) and ended up buying it.

Don't laugh....I know it's being marketed as a first car for students and what not. But there is more than one version, and if you lay your hands on the best equipped version, it's actually a rather cheeky car.

The ridiculous small 1 liter engine does a very good job, if you know what you are doing. Even better than Ford promises in fact. So no complaints here.

0 to 100 kph (60 mph) at just about 9 seconds is really good for a car of this price and with such good driving features (a longer story involving fast speed corners etc ;) ). And by far as much as you'll need in city traffic.

I've been reluctant to try out the 9 seconds myself because it requires some fast shifting at high rpm and I can't risk blowing a gear box. There was this video I can't find now, where some guy makes it at 8.6 seconds.

All I know for sure is it does 0 to 80 kph at about 6 seconds, so the above seems plausible.

Here's one video I could find. He does not quite cut it though.

It's a matter of taste if you like the sound of the engine, I know from various reviews. But I find it very satisfying.

Definately a car recommended to anyone wo wants a fun ride for little money!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★