Login

russian armor

The Car Thread

23 Dec 2013, 18:12 PM

So is England such an unfriendly country to big engine cars? (just like half of the EU). Damn, my car with a 2.8 litre would be hella expensive to maintain there I guess...

I was thinking for a second you bought the ST ;)
I wonder what milage can you get from a 1 litre 125PS engine before it breaks apart. I hope it won't be a trouble for the first owner :D
Anyway must be fun to drive (so I've heard), I think the 3 cylinder engine sounds better than a 4 cyl.

Youtube videos can be misleading, they don't necessarily reflect the reality - videos can be easily accelerated a bit or just have some frames removed - you wouldn't notice it but it would speed up the video by a few fractions of a second. Even if the author doesn't intend it the 0-100 acceleration can be different due to framerate conversion, youtube compression etc.

So I would take those resuls with a pinch of salt. Especially that it's extremely hard to match times manufacturers state. You need a perfect start on the verge of losing traction, perfect gearshifts at the right moments, good tyres and good weather conditions. Oh and also traction control turned off ;)

You can measure that accurately with RaceLogic or DriftBox, not with youtube videos or phone apps :)
24 Dec 2013, 12:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2013, 18:12 PMMoon

I was thinking for a second you bought the ST ;)

I would have....but I couldn't even afford that :rolleyes:

I wonder what milage can you get from a 1 litre 125PS engine before it breaks apart. I hope it won't be a trouble for the first owner :D

Not sure what you stab at wrt to 'breaks apart'. It's a Ford! Not some french tin can. :S

Supposing I'm not mistaken by the liter to gallon conversion, it'll do 40 mpg (17 km per liter) with no special effort and 47 mpg (20 km per liter) if I concentrate on fuel conservation (that's not what the car is asking for, though).

Youtube videos can be misleading, they don't necessarily reflect the reality - videos can be easily accelerated a bit or just have some frames removed - you wouldn't notice it but it would speed up the video by a few fractions of a second. Even if the author doesn't intend it the 0-100 acceleration can be different due to framerate conversion, youtube compression etc.

So I would take those resuls with a pinch of salt. Especially that it's extremely hard to match times manufacturers state. You need a perfect start on the verge of losing traction, perfect gearshifts at the right moments, good tyres and good weather conditions. Oh and also traction control turned off ;)

You can measure that accurately with RaceLogic or DriftBox, not with youtube videos or phone apps :)

Yeah, I know ppl mess around with those videos. But as I said I did experiment some of the way and I think it's credible. Another thing to factor in, is how to use the booster. It's avaliable for 20 seconds, which is more than enough, but it doesn't kick in the same way no matter how you use it.

Maybe we should organise some COH car-nerd event on this forum :)
24 Dec 2013, 14:00 PM

Not sure what you stab at wrt to 'breaks apart'. It's a Ford! Not some french tin can. :S

Except the diesel engines Ford uses are developed jointly by PSA and Ford. So whenever you buy a Ford TDCi you in fact get the same engine as french tin cans :D

Bah I formulated my thoughts wrong. I meant how many miles it can do before it requires a rebuild or breaks down in some manner. It has a very high power to displacement ratio and that usually doesn't go in pair with longevity. But probalbly it will be one of the next owners' trouble anyway, unless you plan to keep the car for the next 15 years ;)

Maybe we should organise some COH car-nerd event on this forum :)

Definitely yes!
25 Dec 2013, 10:13 AM

Well you got a point in the sense. that it's a new engine and in that way there's no way of knowing how it stands the test of time.

It easily does get extremely hot (or maybe that's my driving?) and evidently that must put a strain on some parts. OTOH I'm sure they tested its endurance and since I don't drive that much, I'm not likley to be the first to run into any wear and tear downsides.

[nerd-alert!]

Ford had a lot of complaints about the TDCi when it turned out that some of the valves in the Mondeo that required regular replacing, were located in a position that you couldn't get to without taking the whole engine out. They solved that eventually and it didn't apply to all Mondeos.

Besides, that was a diesel-only problem. My Fiesta has the SCTi engine. It's not a diesel and it's not a generic engine, but Fords' own engine that - afaik - they don't share with anyone.

The parts of the engine come from many places, though. It worries me just slightly that I can see some parts come from Craiova in Romania for example :/

25 Dec 2013, 11:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2013, 18:12 PMMoon
So is England such an unfriendly country to big engine cars? (just like half of the EU). Damn, my car with a 2.8 litre would be hella expensive to maintain there I guess...

It's not that bad - mine's a 3.2; if I'm doing motorway miles (which I do a lot of) I can get nearly 31mpg. Round town/being a hooligan drops it to 11-20. I have seen it down at 4 :P

Petrol is quite expensive though - £1.35 a litre atm, so that works out currently at around $8.34 per US gallon. You live with it though, if you want to!
25 Dec 2013, 13:42 PM

Besides, that was a diesel-only problem. My Fiesta has the SCTi engine. It's not a diesel and it's not a generic engine, but Fords' own engine that - afaik - they don't share with anyone.

Well that's just the way it is today. You buy a Maserati Quattroporte and you get the same key, same climatronic panel, same levers and the same interior build quality as the Fiat Stilo.
You buy an italian/french/whatever car and you get a german ZF or Getrag gearbox, german Bosch elecronics, Garret or KRK turbo. Volvos have GM or Aisin automatics which are built from butter and so on...
And it's all built somewhere in China anyways :D

Petrol is quite expensive though - £1.35 a litre atm, so that works out currently at around $8.34 per US gallon. You live with it though, if you want to!

In PL it's €1,30, however the average salary is way samller so petrol is still expensive. A lot of people install autogas so they can run 2x cheaper, it's very popular here.
26 Dec 2013, 20:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Nov 2013, 00:34 AMntd
Here you go Budwise. It's hard to get a good shot of the rear of it with a camera, it looks much better in person. Plan on putting new rims (19" or 20", haven't decided yet), a black grill on replacing that chrome outline, deleting the ugly orange reflectors, and of course throwing a tune on it.

That is indeed a fine car :) Though I am wondering why you didn't wait for/get an M4? not driveable enough on the street perhaps?
ntd
27 Dec 2013, 02:12 AM
Admin Black Badge

That is indeed a fine car :) Though I am wondering why you didn't wait for/get an M4? not driveable enough on the street perhaps?

Oh the new M4 will be a great street car as well, it's just $20k more with all the same gadgets (a bit out of my budget for a car), and I needed a car now, not a year from now. With a $400 tune I can (and have) get halfway to the new M4 HP anyway, which is more than plenty for me.
3 Jan 2014, 17:33 PM

Ford finally got the message: the next pony will also be sold in Europe!

THIS is a MUST HAVE!

Fudd! I'll never have the money for it :(
6 Jan 2014, 20:08 PM

Some more autocross in an old Bimmer

16 Jan 2014, 14:55 PM

I currently have 2 BMW's 535 and 330, I love driving them, fast!!!!! I used to have 3 Merkurs. 2 XR4Ti's and a Scorpio. I miss the turbo!! :(
16 Jan 2014, 17:16 PM

I can't drive. :(
16 Jan 2014, 23:14 PM

I currently have 2 BMW's 535 and 330, I love driving them, fast!!!!! I used to have 3 Merkurs. 2 XR4Ti's and a Scorpio. I miss the turbo!! :(

Where did you keep all those cars?

Hey, Moon nice videos. But could you cut the music? I wanna hear the engine ;)
17 Jan 2014, 00:46 AM

I still have a total of 0 cars.
17 Jan 2014, 00:57 AM

Hey, Moon nice videos. But could you cut the music? I wanna hear the engine ;)

Ty. Well the problem is you wouldn't be able to hear anything but the wind blowing as the camera was attached to the roof, outside of the car. That's why there's music :)
The built in mic is pretty horrible anyway, it's a small sports camera and it's no GoPro. You can hear some engine here (and my friend piloting me in gibberish polish)
17 Jan 2014, 02:53 AM

Where did you keep all those cars?

I kept them at my home, maximum I had was 3 at one time. Plenty of room. ;)
I also had a Cadillac Sedan de Ville. lol A total grandpa car!!!
17 Jan 2014, 03:56 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I just installed a new cold air intake on my car yesterday, ordered stainless steel brake lines, ferrocarbon brake pads, dot4 fluid, high performance radiator, and signed up for my next track event March 1st. WOOT
17 Jan 2014, 23:51 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Gave it a bath today, and there's some pics of the powerplant as well.

ntd
18 Jan 2014, 03:13 AM
Admin Black Badge

Is that the stock hood?
18 Jan 2014, 03:27 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W