Login

russian armor

Semoiskiy =/= Semois

31 Oct 2013, 20:03 PM

I already pointed out a few weeks ago how the bushes are very restricted in how you can move but after playing this map like 10 times in the past couple days I'd much rather play on Minsk Pocket tbh and heres why:

Fuel placement- Before when there was a "Semois" pin you could at least depend on the big fuel right outside your base to give you a shot at a comeback. Now that you have to run either all the way to the side or all the way across the map to secure a fuel its almost impossible to make a comeback. If you get pushed off you lose everything. Before you had to worry about 3 major points of contention: the middle, your cutoff (prevent a pin), and your high muni+ its cutoff. You had some skirmishes for your high fuel, but it was just a given for most of the game. Now you have to worry about 4, and when you're fighting from behind it is extremely difficult.

Building placement- Now we have hardy buildings by muni points where they didn't exist before which can lead to some absurd stalling. Two of the buildings that were very strategically oriented in the middle with limited amounts windows that best served as shotblockers now have become fortresses with a shitload of windows.
31 Oct 2013, 20:17 PM

Good post, I've had semois on veto for a long time now specifically because of the fuel cutoff and building spam issues. Semoisky winter is better because its much harder to be truly cut off, but still suffers from a mad dash to eastern fuel building. Removing the eastern fuel building touching the capture zone should breathe some new life into the early game on this map. Its unfair the northern player has to contend with that building on his fuel compared to the field
31 Oct 2013, 20:23 PM

Yeah I veto summer Sem too...Once they fix buildings, it might not be so bad. Those key buildings are kind of an essential bit of COH though. The heartbreak and sorrow that is the Angoville south building is legendary.

31 Oct 2013, 20:31 PM

I havent played VCOH in half a decade but I don't remember molotovs in that game t0. That ability favors a single faction over another in building rushing. COH2 should be balanced for coh2 not vcoh nostalgia
31 Oct 2013, 23:14 PM

Well, nostalgia aside, strong buildings are an essential part of warfare, and a nice stone house ought to be better than a wood shack.

The problem with COH2 is we have no stone houses. The only differentiation in destructibility is the size, and there's still too much RNG. Rifle nade=demolished church on occasion.

1 Nov 2013, 00:33 AM

Well, nostalgia aside, strong buildings are an essential part of warfare, and a nice stone house ought to be better than a wood shack.

The problem with COH2 is we have no stone houses. The only differentiation in destructibility is the size, and there's still too much RNG. Rifle nade=demolished church on occasion.

Regularly lose a whole squads in the semioskiy church to one rifle nade:-( very frustating ,accually see rifle nades one shot demolish building to often, makes me Rage lol
1 Nov 2013, 01:20 AM

Regularly lose a whole squads in the semioskiy church to one rifle nade:-( very frustating ,accually see rifle nades one shot demolish building to often, makes me Rage lol

For every rifle nade insta-collapse there are four rifle nades that do no damage whatsoever.

Let's face it: Germans have no reliable (keyword here) way of clearing buildings.
1 Nov 2013, 08:11 AM
Donator 33

For every rifle nade insta-collapse there are four rifle nades that do no damage whatsoever.

Let's face it: Germans have no reliable (keyword here) way of clearing buildings.

This is true - the T0 flamethrower, the T1 mortar and the T2 FHT are completely not up to the task. I often see high level Ost-only players drop, as soon as they notice a house on the map.
1 Nov 2013, 08:34 AM

this is a pretty shitty port i have to agree, make it EXACTLY like semois, EXACTLY.
1 Nov 2013, 09:23 AM
Patrion 14

this is a pretty shitty port i have to agree, make it EXACTLY like semois, EXACTLY.

If serious, its quite impossible since the completely reworked mechanics of:

Stratpoints
Buildings
Fuelpoints

An exact copy of semois(coh1) would require major reprogram of some core features of CoH2. It will just never happen.

As for cutoffs, yes, its not semois and you are totally cut off. However, like the map layout. Buildings on the other hand, and their flaws have already been covered alot of times.

1 Nov 2013, 09:51 AM

Well this is a really weird statement.

The point wasn't really clear, what's wrong with that Half-Truck with two flamethrowers? As soon as I see that, I will most def flee from the house. Then there's also the possibility that the house has already had some damage and then only one rifle nade will one shot entire squad. Needless to mention that there's the small range difference also with Rifle Grenade and Molotov. It's really rare that Molotov kills entire squad inside the house, and if the squad gets outside, normal conscript will not kill the rest of the squad (almost) for sure.

It would be really weird to see German player surrender if they see buildings in the map. The same would be that soviet player would quit as soon as soviet sees Assgrens. Both situations (Buildings with soviets inside & Assgrens) can be dealt with.
1 Nov 2013, 09:56 AM

So now this map has 'fortresses'???

I guess you guys are talking about the wooden shacks that will come crushing down when hit by a rifle nade?

BIG problem indeed...
1 Nov 2013, 13:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2013, 09:51 AMFlamee

Well this is a really weird statement.

The point wasn't really clear, what's wrong with that Half-Truck with two flamethrowers? As soon as I see that, I will most def flee from the house. Then there's also the possibility that the house has already had some damage and then only one rifle nade will one shot entire squad. Needless to mention that there's the small range difference also with Rifle Grenade and Molotov. It's really rare that Molotov kills entire squad inside the house, and if the squad gets outside, normal conscript will not kill the rest of the squad (almost) for sure.

It would be really weird to see German player surrender if they see buildings in the map. The same would be that soviet player would quit as soon as soviet sees Assgrens. Both situations (Buildings with soviets inside & Assgrens) can be dealt with.

His post was sarcastic so take it with a grain of salt.

The problem is the FHT doesnt come until the end of the t2 cycle which is 6-8 minutes into a match. On a map like semois you can be cut off by then or kept away from the initial fuel income you need to compete with the tank rush
1 Nov 2013, 13:51 PM

1) The fuel point shouldn´t be next to the base like in vCoH. The reason for that is that regular territories give you a +3 fuel income in CoH2 which wasn´t the case in vCoH.

2) Semoiski is favorable for the Russian. I don´t like it as Germans and love it when playing Soviets. The buildings make the center of the map very narrow, resulting in camping with mortars and clearing buildings. As matter of fact Russians can more easily lock down chokepoints and clear buildings.

- Russians have cheaper, better and easier spammable mines. Mining chokepoints on Semoiski is a must.

- As Russians don´t rely that much on ammunition as Germans, they can build more flamethrowers.

- T-0 Molotovs deny buildings.

- Two different mortars with more crewmembers and more range. Semoiski always ends in mortar duels.

- KV-8 rules the city.

- Maxims arc of fire is sufficient for the narrow streets, MG42s arc doesn´t help that much.

- Tanks can´t move very well on this map, AT is of less importance. Soviet tanks wiht better AI can just drive to a chokepoint and kill whole squads, then drive behind a building. German tanks can do that too of course, but they don´t instagib squads.
1 Nov 2013, 14:29 PM

Ya it is really annoying if you lose the map for any period of time really hard to get back a fuel. It it is pretty normal to have one side hold both fuels for certain periods of the game. At the same time the fuels also often change hands at around the same time (both sides capping each others fuel) so if one side doesn't get the cap because of rng, a mine, or something pushes them off, they can be behind in fuel for quite a few minutes.

The heavy resource layout on this map is very weird. The muni is in a place that easily get cutoff and is far from the fighting, so if you lose your fuel good chance you just lost your muni point or soon will. Often I fine timings that normally are hit at certain times get delayed on this map if both players are capping like crazy.

And ya it is a camp fest all too often.
Only Relic postRelic 3 Nov 2013, 02:55 AM
Developer Relic Badge

thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll be looking to do some tweaks soon.

Eagle
3 Nov 2013, 03:26 AM

If serious, its quite impossible since the completely reworked mechanics of:

Stratpoints
Buildings
Fuelpoints

An exact copy of semois(coh1) would require major reprogram of some core features of CoH2. It will just never happen.

As for cutoffs, yes, its not semois and you are totally cut off. However, like the map layout. Buildings on the other hand, and their flaws have already been covered alot of times.

basically i want the two medium munitions points back (why were they removed) and to put the high fuel in its original spot next to the base.

then it'd be perfect
3 Nov 2013, 03:59 AM
Honorary Member Badge

basically i want the two medium munitions points back (why were they removed) and to put the high fuel in its original spot next to the base.

then it'd be perfect

I doubt it would be a good idea to place the high fuel in a nearly un-harass able location. Medium munition points (and low/med fuels) are, sadly, probably not going to return as well.
3 Nov 2013, 11:22 AM

I agree with OP.

I also think that the player on the east has an advantage as their northern cutoff is a far wider area and harder to control by the player in the west.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★