Login

russian armor

Best ways to counter Flamer Halftrack

25 Oct 2013, 02:54 AM

As an avid Soviet player I would be interested in the thoughts of others on how to effectively deal with a fast flamer halftrack. My usual counter is a combination of double guards + at nades, or at nades + at gun. Criticism/Recommendations are openly encouraged.
25 Oct 2013, 03:10 AM

This is THE question for soviets, isn't it... I hate going double guards but a single gaurds squad frequently doesn't cut it... I usually prefer to stall with a single guards squad and AT nades and get a T70 or T34 out. AT gun is a last resort as on many maps (Kolodny and kharkov in particular, semois everywhere but the north) AT guns are not easy to use without getting them flanked.

The problem with the AT gun is that it is too expensive for something that isn't able to chase down and kill the flame halftrack. Perhaps the answer is simply always having a squad ready to flank the FHT so you can scare it with the AT gun and then get an AT nade on it.

25 Oct 2013, 03:36 AM
Donator 33

I think it's probably better to have one guard squad in a M3 over 2 guard squads. It will force the opponent to upgun a 222 before getting the flame upgrade, delaying the doom push. It works even better if the Soviet player can bait out a couple panzerfausts with the flame engineer M3 without losing the M3, sometimes it's enough to convince the opponent to not upgrade flame at all due to various munition expenditure he was forced to make. Another advantage of this approach is the possibility that Germans could make a mistake and allow the Guard M3 to chase and destroy the HT and/or the 222.
25 Oct 2013, 04:42 AM

I ve been trying out new stats using the m5,i found it works well against fht and upgunned sc with a guard squad and a flame engineer in it. Has pritty good light at and great ia capebilitys

The good thing about the m5 it has ok armour can take a couple shots from a at gun and found it is less proun from taking damage from small arms fire aswell. It can renforce squads which is very handy, works well with units garisoned in it, if you lose a couple of units uou just hop them out renforce them and your back on your way. Also with the engineer in it aswell you can repair anywhere. M5 vet pritty quicky as well and gain nos at vet 1:-)

Try it out, maybe some other combos aswell:-)
Iv been getting some good results
25 Oct 2013, 08:51 AM

Good thread. If there's any unit I hate to fight against it's Flamer halftrack. Letting it get vet2 can be disastrous.
25 Oct 2013, 08:59 AM
Honorary Member Badge

Guards and AT-nades/AT-Guns sounds good and works in most circumstances.
A particular scenario that i have issues with is when my opponent starts with Assault grenadier spam and directly techs to flamer HTs. In this case i usually stall with conscripts at long range, in buildings or capping around where there are no Assault Grens. This however leaves you with little XP for the first CP that unlocks guards. So, more often than not the Flamer HT arrives when i only have 3/4 of a CP and no guards.

What do you do in this scenario?
25 Oct 2013, 11:04 AM

A particular scenario that i have issues with is when my opponent starts with Assault grenadier spam and directly techs to flamer HTs. In this case i usually stall with conscripts at long range, in buildings or capping around where there are no Assault Grens. This however leaves you with little XP for the first CP that unlocks guards. So, more often than not the Flamer HT arrives when i only have 3/4 of a CP and no guards.

That's usually when I stare at the screen blankly
25 Oct 2013, 11:40 AM

Permanently Banned
1 AT nade + guards finish it without weapon upgrade(if it hasnot veterancy,but you deserve a loss if you let him get veterancy), noobs :S
the problem is when u were beginner eneugh if you choose ST doctrine in the first sec.
25 Oct 2013, 12:52 PM

Permanently Banned
Lure it into a mine. FHT love overextending.
25 Oct 2013, 13:06 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Oct 2013, 12:52 PMNullist
Lure it into a mine. FHT love overextending.

Yeah I try to lay as many mines as possible. Hard to do though when playing East on Ferma Winter with only one ammo point that's, imo, at the advantage of the west player.
25 Oct 2013, 13:08 PM

I usually fast tech to a t70. I'm also experimenting in general with fast teaching to su76 which (I'll admit I'm a lower level player) seems to work pretty well at my skill level.
25 Oct 2013, 13:28 PM

SU-76Ms can be useful but one p4 can catch and destroy it very quickly for almost no damage taken itself. Vet SU-76Ms though are things to be feared...
25 Oct 2013, 14:26 PM

The same thing is true of the fast t70. But su76 barrage really punishes German infantry clumping, and can take out light vehicles pretty well imho. Also it sets you up for getting su85 to counter pivs or other heavy tanks. Mining or AT nades seem to help with pivs or other heavy tanks in this case, so those 76s can get away from the panzers :)

but again I'm likely playing at a lower skill level than some of you, so my strats may not apply.
25 Oct 2013, 14:56 PM

Ideally I always aim for that T70, but if I know that is not going to be possible due to my fuel situation I base my decision on the map. Open maps I just go for AT-nades/Zi3-S but on more closed maps I find myself going for AT-nades/mines.

It is really difficult though I find to stop a FHT when its used with a 4-5 gren spam on close quater maps that a cut-off is easy to access. Kharkov north for Soviets being one of the worst spawns to verse this strategy in my opinion.

Gren spam to FHT to T3 is the only thing I struggle with but going T1/guards/T3 play seems to be going quite well for me as of late as well to counter this. Need more testing though verse good players. I think my sniper usage forces my opponent to take risks and commit to engagements that they shouldn't. I do not upgrade DP guns til I see tanks, for the FHT I much rather have 2 extra mines on the map or float for AT nades.
25 Oct 2013, 14:56 PM

Upgrading to at nades and either A. Keeping the FHT off long enough with them to get 1 CP for guards. OR B. Going for an at gun(depends on map).
25 Oct 2013, 15:00 PM

hmm interesting strats. loving it.

Usually if an opponent goes 3-4 assgrens shouldn't that take a while and really hinder his fast tech to FHT?? By the time 2 assgrens come into the field you could probably have 3 almost 4 cons and some decent map control if you avoid him.
25 Oct 2013, 15:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

hmm interesting strats. loving it.

Usually if an opponent goes 3-4 assgrens shouldn't that take a while and really hinder his fast tech to FHT?? By the time 2 assgrens come into the field you could probably have 3 almost 4 cons and some decent map control if you avoid him.

I was talking about Assault Grenadiers, which come off-map at 0 CP. You probably mixed it up with Panzergrenadiers, which would indeed slow down the FHT tech.
Assault gren strategies on the other hand make it possible to completely skip Tier 1 and thus the FHT arrives extra fast.
25 Oct 2013, 15:16 PM

No I understood what you meant. But 3-4 assgrens is a pretty severe MP drain. And it isn't exactly fast, takes a while to get 3-4 on the field right? I may be wrong, I haven't played much with or against this.
25 Oct 2013, 15:34 PM

m3+guards

m3 ups the dps by removing the ptrs setup time plus the added chase ability of the m3 makes taking by surprise a flame ht a sure kill. and a scout car is a low investment compared to another guard. also thanks to the new targeting priorities the guards prioritize the halftrack. and the speed of the m3 allows it to go sneaky like and set up a nice ambush.
25 Oct 2013, 16:45 PM
Donator 33

And it isn't exactly fast, takes a while to get 3-4 on the field right? I may be wrong, I haven't played much with or against this.

You are indeed wrong.

Due to AG's being call-ins, and thus have zero buildtime, the third AG hits the field at roughly the same time the third Con does (+80MP).

/OT
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS