Login

russian armor

Does the shield on AT guns actually work or not?

15 Aug 2019, 01:17 AM

I have heard conflicting things on this, and am hoping someone has an answer.

I know there was an _intention_ for them to provide cover, but I also recall a rather long and thorough thread (and later, additional posts) citing that they offer such little marginal and overly-specific-directional cover that they end up being null for the most part.

Thanks <444>3.
15 Aug 2019, 01:31 AM

doesn't work for AT guns.

I think it does for leig though, if I remember correctly.
15 Aug 2019, 03:41 AM

I think it does for leig though, if I remember correctly.

Thank you <444>3
15 Aug 2019, 06:23 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Unless there has been a fix which i haven't seen:

https://www.coh2.org/topic/66776/at-weapons-for-okw/page/1#post_id646618

TLDR; shells impacting the hitbox of the AT gun will collision with it. The cover it's supposedly should be providing does not apply in 95% of the cases to the OPERATORS of the crew. The guys chilling around benefit from the AT gun cover but due to spread out formation, they are unlikely to benefit from it.
Each AT gun behaves in a different way.

If you want to be 100% sure about how each support weapon behaves, you can launch a custom game with cheatcommands and turn on damage indicators. Or if you are lazy, throw around grenades. If cover works, you are not killing the operators.
15 Aug 2019, 07:05 AM

Thanks elchino.

15 Aug 2019, 09:00 AM

If I’m not wrong pupchen has a hole in the middle of the gun and the shield does not protect the user
15 Aug 2019, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

If I’m not wrong pupchen has a hole in the middle of the gun and the shield does not protect the user

Visuals doesn't matter. Read the linked post. I can't test the interaction between a shell impacting the hitbox of the AT gun and how much dmg it transmit when the tank shells are specially doing over 160 with splash.

The difference with the pupchen is that it is more likely to hit in the middle of the squad pass the weapon cause is less likely or at all to hit the gun itself.

If you were to try to implement a cover on the pupchen, it wouldn't work cause the weapon itself is really small. Unless you want invisible walls.
15 Aug 2019, 10:36 AM

If I remember correctly, someone tested that gun shields do sort of work, but only in certain positions. Like only when the gun is facing a certain angle. Most ATGs also do seem to give the heavy cover damage reduction versus explosives, but not the Raketen. In summary, gun shields are bugged as hell, but at least normal ATGs do get some protection from their gun shields, while the Raketen seems to get none at all.
15 Aug 2019, 12:04 PM

Visuals doesn't matter. Read the linked post. I can't test the interaction between a shell impacting the hitbox of the AT gun and how much dmg it transmit when the tank shells are specially doing over 160 with splash.

The difference with the pupchen is that it is more likely to hit in the middle of the squad pass the weapon cause is less likely or at all to hit the gun itself.

If you were to try to implement a cover on the pupchen, it wouldn't work cause the weapon itself is really small. Unless you want invisible walls.
not visually I mean the model aecoh and dvem we’re discussing it
15 Aug 2019, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

not visually I mean the model aecoh and dvem we’re discussing it

I checked that part. It's a simplifications of what is happening at the moment with ALL AT guns. For small arm fire, it doesn't matter. Grenades and indirect fire? It doesn't matter. Tank shells? Probably, as what i mentioned before.
You can't just remodel the thing and it's not like you would put an invisible wall in front of it to stop incoming shells.

If I remember correctly, someone tested that gun shields do sort of work, but only in certain positions. Like only when the gun is facing a certain angle. Most ATGs also do seem to give the heavy cover damage reduction versus explosives, but not the Raketen. In summary, gun shields are bugged as hell, but at least normal ATGs do get some protection from their gun shields, while the Raketen seems to get none at all.

I did.
Could do a re run test but i don't think anything has changed. If you want to test it, this is how i did it at that time.

-Reduce all crews to 2 man. You can see how the Zis gun will show you that it is benefiting from green at some times but that is the case for the formation of 2 of the crew members who stand at each side.
-Move the the angle the AT gun is facing. You will see how the cover icon pop ups at intervals.
-I made few test with mortars but it was pointless cause it just made the test harder and the results were the same as with grenades. At that time i just tried attacking the AT gun from 8 directions and to say the least, this is one of the buggiest interactions i found in the game outside of the phaseshift cammo and stacking exploits.
Ex: attacking from behind, will sometimes give the unit the benefit of cover.
15 Aug 2019, 16:58 PM

Seems then the conclusion still remains as above; mostly doesn't work and even when it does, it isn't reliable by any means.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★