Login

russian armor

Any news about COH 3 ???

10 Jul 2019, 09:19 AM

Any news about COH 3 ???
10 Jul 2019, 09:33 AM

Pretty much nothing :*(:*(

I wouldnt lose hope, since there was the CoH1 vs CoH2 feedback thread an year or something ago, but its not even certain that there will be one, considering how little popularity the genre has compared to FPS and other games
10 Jul 2019, 11:00 AM

fuck coh series on PC BOARD GAME 4EVER
10 Jul 2019, 13:04 PM

Its probably not gonna happen
10 Jul 2019, 14:47 PM

Pretty much nothing :*(:*(

I wouldnt lose hope, since there was the CoH1 vs CoH2 feedback thread an year or something ago, but its not even certain that there will be one, considering how little popularity the genre has compared to FPS and other games

Not quite true, the RTS is really a popular player genre. but not popular with major publishers. Because the "game service" concept with lootboxes completely captured the minds of publishers. They want to create minimal content but sell it for maximum profit. RTS can not squeeze money out of players as much as possible. Therefore, the RTS is not so popular for development.
10 Jul 2019, 15:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Not quite true, the RTS is really a popular player genre. but not popular with major publishers. Because the "game service" concept with lootboxes completely captured the minds of publishers. They want to create minimal content but sell it for maximum profit. RTS can not squeeze money out of players as much as possible. Therefore, the RTS is not so popular for development.

We don't need to lie to ourselves. This is not the 90/00, golden time for RTS is far gone.

STRATEGY, as a general category, is popular. But that's because it includes way too many different genres which are not close to each other. RTS, RTT (MoW), TBS (Civ), TBT (Xcom), Artillery, Tower Defense, MOBAs, etc.
RTS outside of having big fanbases (Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of empires, CoH) is extremely niche. The genre requires heavy time investment in order to start to scrap the real hidden value of the product, something which the masses are not going to do.
That's why MOBAs replaced RTS, at least in terms of PvP demographic. They are easier to start with, even if the skill roof is still high.

Any news about COH 3 ???

Forget about it, at least for 4/5 years more. Relic is currently busy with AoE4, which you can't expect to get any fresh news till end of year or way into 2020. If they are still assigned to the IP for post release content, you would still need to wait even more.

If you can't wait, the closet thing you could get is Iron Harvest.
10 Jul 2019, 16:14 PM

We don't need to lie to ourselves. This is not the 90/00, golden time for RTS is far gone.

STRATEGY, as a general category, is popular. But that's because it includes way too many different genres which are not close to each other. RTS, RTT (MoW), TBS (Civ), TBT (Xcom), Artillery, Tower Defense, MOBAs, etc.
RTS outside of having big fanbases (Starcraft, Warcraft, Age of empires, CoH) is extremely niche. The genre requires heavy time investment in order to start to scrap the real hidden value of the product, something which the masses are not going to do.
That's why MOBAs replaced RTS, at least in terms of PvP demographic. They are easier to start with, even if the skill roof is still high.

Forget about it, at least for 4/5 years more. Relic is currently busy with AoE4, which you can't expect to get any fresh news till end of year or way into 2020. If they are still assigned to the IP for post release content, you would still need to wait even more.

If you can't wait, the closet thing you could get is Iron Harvest.

I am a member of the big Discord group where people play in CoH2. And almost all of them say that they continue to play in CoH2 because there are no alternatives. Players have a demand, the market has no goods. So the AAA strategies will be in high demand. But I have already said the reasons above.
10 Jul 2019, 17:08 PM

I am a member of the big Discord group where people play in CoH2. And almost all of them say that they continue to play in CoH2 because there are no alternatives. Players have a demand, the market has no goods. So the AAA strategies will be in high demand. But I have already said the reasons above.

Valve relied on old glory as well, Half-Life 2, TF2, Counter-Strike, DOTA, but new contenders in the form of Blizzard start popping up and challenging them.

Same thing will happen here, even if it isn't Iron Harvest, one day a game will just pop up and push CoH2's status as defacto the current WW2 RTS game off and plant itself on the top and Relic will keep scratching their heads wondering why and how it happened when the simple answer all along was that maybe listening to your community and not being so money hungry would have helped, a lot.
10 Jul 2019, 17:50 PM

Valve relied on old glory as well, Half-Life 2, TF2, Counter-Strike, DOTA, but new contenders in the form of Blizzard start popping up and challenging them.

Same thing will happen here, even if it isn't Iron Harvest, one day a game will just pop up and push CoH2's status as defacto the current WW2 RTS game off and plant itself on the top and Relic will keep scratching their heads wondering why and how it happened when the simple answer all along was that maybe listening to your community and not being so money hungry would have helped, a lot.

Money is the reason why Relic is in business otherwise they would be bankrupt. I think Relic is smart in concentrating all of its effort in AOE due to larger audience. COH is a great franchise but the amount of investment $$ it takes to produce this product and with already dwindling customers, I dont think its a right time for them to release the game just yet. I think what would help Relic the MOST is take a page from Blizzard and make COH2 a free to play game and monetize cosmetics as the community grows.

The biggest problem I see for the future of RTS game is that majority of players are much older compare to average gamer. I rarely see young gamer play COH2 or any RTS.
10 Jul 2019, 18:01 PM

Money is the reason why Relic is in business otherwise they would be bankrupt. I think Relic is smart in concentrating all of its effort in AOE due to larger audience. COH is a great franchise but the amount of investment $$ it takes to produce this product and with already dwindling customers, I dont think its a right time for them to release the game just yet. I think what would help Relic the MOST is take a page from Blizzard and make COH2 a free to play game and monetize cosmetics as the community grows.

The biggest problem I see for the future of RTS game is that majority of players are much older compare to average gamer. I rarely see young gamer play COH2 or any RTS.

What I'm trying to say is, if you focus on the player then you gain more players and money, if you focus on the money then you lose people and thus, money.

In short, try to keep your players happy, not view them as walking wallets.

And yeah I've noticed that as well, I for example played my first RTS, which was Age of Mythology back then, when I was like, 4 or something. I don't see that happening much these days around, kids are mostly playing Fortnite and stuff like that.
10 Jul 2019, 23:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

You have to get out of the bubble and see how is the market nowadays. 6 year old me was playing C&C and AoE1 without understanding really what i was doing.

Different generation kids went from playing LoL, to playing Minecraft to playing Fortnite. While the BR fever has pass, the playerbase is still strong. Then you have the new sensation on the Autochess genre (on which both DOTA and LOL were fast to develop and capitalise).

And this is only accounting for the PC market. When you can't sell a game on consoles without sacrificing the design of it, you are reaching way less people. (Let's leave mobile cause that's another abomination of a topic to talk about).

There are no AAA strategy games, cause all the 90/00 glories who try to release a title in the last 10 years have failed. There are only 4 relevant IPs (AoE, WC, SC, CoH), from which we only know 1 is on the making after a long hiatus (AoE).

Interesting that Microsoft brought AoE back, but they are getting all the monies from the nostalgia train with AoE 2 HD, AoE DE, AoE 2 DE and future AoE3 DE before releasing AoE4.

Blizzard has WC and SC, but they are more content with releasing remakes (SC1 HD and WC3 Reforge). The SC2 competitive dwindle down since WoL and the best to happen to the game was the CoOP commanders mode.

Let me give you a list of titles from the last 5 years:
-Planetary Annihilation: from the Total Annihilation franchise. Dead
-Men of war 2: HEAVILY niche game. What ARMA was before getting a boost on sales because of a zombie mode.
-Stronghold Crusade: dead
-Homeworld RE: dead
-Grey goo: from Westwood devs (C&C), dead.
-Cossacks3: dead
-Halo wars: dead
-Steel division: dead
-Spellforce: d
-Total war Arena: d
-Dawn of War 3: d

The most successful thing we have seen in the last years is They are billions, but that's a single player pseudo Tower defense game which allows people to pause (which makes it more accessible to new players in the genre). Even that small movement didn't shake the market and then we have failures who tried to jump in the train as Connan.

10 Jul 2019, 23:15 PM

You have to get out of the bubble and see how is the market nowadays. 6 year old me was playing C&C and AoE1 without understanding really what i was doing.

Different generation kids went from playing LoL, to playing Minecraft to playing Fortnite. While the BR fever has pass, the playerbase is still strong. Then you have the new sensation on the Autochess genre (on which both DOTA and LOL were fast to develop and capitalise).

And this is only accounting for the PC market. When you can't sell a game on consoles without sacrificing the design of it, you are reaching way less people. (Let's leave mobile cause that's another abomination of a topic to talk about).

There are no AAA strategy games, cause all the 90/00 glories who try to release a title in the last 10 years have failed. There are only 4 relevant IPs (AoE, WC, SC, CoH), from which we only know 1 is on the making after a long hiatus (AoE).

Interesting that Microsoft brought AoE back, but they are getting all the monies from the nostalgia train with AoE 2 HD, AoE DE, AoE 2 DE and future AoE3 DE before releasing AoE4.

Blizzard has WC and SC, but they are more content with releasing remakes (SC1 HD and WC3 Reforge). The SC2 competitive dwindle down since WoL and the best to happen to the game was the CoOP commanders mode.

Let me give you a list of titles from the last 5 years:
-Planetary Annihilation: from the Total Annihilation franchise. Dead
-Men of war 2: HEAVILY niche game. What ARMA was before getting a boost on sales because of a zombie mode.
-Stronghold Crusade: dead
-Homeworld RE: dead
-Grey goo: from Westwood devs (C&C), dead.
-Cossacks3: dead
-Halo wars: dead
-Steel division: dead
-Spellforce: d
-Total war Arena: d
-Dawn of War 3: d

The most successful thing we have seen in the last years is They are billions, but that's a single player pseudo Tower defense game which allows people to pause (which makes it more accessible to new players in the genre). Even that small movement didn't shake the market and then we have failures who tried to jump in the train as Connan.

Steel Division 2 is looking to come out pretty strong tho, I'm just waiting for a better price to get it at but right now it seems to be one of the most popular WW2 strategy games.

Edit: You also kinda forgot to mention Age of Mythology's EX version and Rise of Nations HD which are both sadly kinda also dead. At least AoE2:HD is fairing a bit better but I think DE will get even more people on board, I'll certainly be getting it.
10 Jul 2019, 23:37 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Steel Division 2 is looking to come out pretty strong tho, I'm just waiting for a better price to get it at but right now it seems to be one of the most popular WW2 strategy games.

Edit: You also kinda forgot to mention Age of Mythology's EX version and Rise of Nations HD which are both sadly kinda also dead. At least AoE2:HD is fairing a bit better but I think DE will get even more people on board, I'll certainly be getting it.

AOE2 is plenty alive, specially when the number of people playing is superior as to what steam shows. People play through voobly cause there's plenty of problems with the steam client.

Just in case people miss interpret. There is "dead" the developer studio close down game and there is "dead", it's a niche game with a small expected playerbase who can't have AAA budgets nor quality. It can be a solid product, but you will struggle to play on a PvP environment.

I'm not acknowledge with Steel Division 2, but i don't see it breaking the norm of been a small community game.

11 Jul 2019, 07:32 AM

elchino7 you forgot a couple.

Ancestors Legacy: Dead(and couldn't be any other way - why devs think they can release RTS and not include matchmaking?)

Spellforce 3: Excellent coop RPG for an RTS, multiplayer is dead(have I mentioned a question about lack of matchmaking in mp yet?)

Northgard: Actually successful, small but very alife, but niche one and slow(rush strats take 40 minutes) and has some other problems as well(something something lack of matchmaking)
11 Jul 2019, 09:41 AM

AOE2 is plenty alive, specially when the number of people playing is superior as to what steam shows. People play through voobly cause there's plenty of problems with the steam client.

Just in case people miss interpret. There is "dead" the developer studio close down game and there is "dead", it's a niche game with a small expected playerbase who can't have AAA budgets nor quality. It can be a solid product, but you will struggle to play on a PvP environment.

I'm not acknowledge with Steel Division 2, but i don't see it breaking the norm of been a small community game.

Yeah, and GameRanger.

And yeah I guess "dead" is a broad statement that is best made a little bit more specific.

Let's just say that it's perhaps a bit less niche than Men of War:AS 2 from what I've noticed at the moment. I think a lot of people, including myself, got put off from the amount of micro management MOWAS2 offered and got pulled in by the grand, "Total War set in WW2" scale that SD2 offered.
11 Jul 2019, 20:07 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2019, 07:32 AMKatitof
elchino7 you forgot a couple.

Ancestors Legacy: Dead(and couldn't be any other way - why devs think they can release RTS and not include matchmaking?)

Spellforce 3: Excellent coop RPG for an RTS, multiplayer is dead(have I mentioned a question about lack of matchmaking in mp yet?)

Northgard: Actually successful, small but very alife, but niche one and slow(rush strats take 40 minutes) and has some other problems as well(something something lack of matchmaking)

I mentioned Spellforce :P and i skipped some titles cause i think i made a point with the list i provided.

Yeah, and GameRanger.

And yeah I guess "dead" is a broad statement that is best made a little bit more specific.

Let's just say that it's perhaps a bit less niche than Men of War:AS 2 from what I've noticed at the moment. I think a lot of people, including myself, got put off from the amount of micro management MOWAS2 offered and got pulled in by the grand, "Total War set in WW2" scale that SD2 offered.

Sure but it's probably gonna be a game with less than 2000 people playing at any time.
11 Jul 2019, 20:15 PM

I mentioned Spellforce :P and i skipped some titles cause i think i made a point with the list i provided.

Sure but it's probably gonna be a game with less than 2000 people playing at any time.

Eh, it's better than nothing. I got friends leaving CoH2 as it is, stating limited modding, cancerous community and a design/balance direction they don't agree with. Maybe SD2 will make a better home for a smaller and tighter, more niche community.
11 Jul 2019, 21:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Eh, it's better than nothing. I got friends leaving CoH2 as it is, stating limited modding, cancerous community and a design/balance direction they don't agree with. Maybe SD2 will make a better home for a smaller and tighter, more niche community.

That's for sure.
But let's reminder that the original point of disc was why there aren't AAA titles or why the genre is small.

The genre is not popular, it's niche or it's heavily distributed between several small titles.
11 Jul 2019, 21:16 PM

That's for sure.
But let's reminder that the original point of disc was why there aren't AAA titles or why the genre is small.

The genre is not popular, it's niche or it's heavily distributed between several small titles.

Agreed, I'd say it WAS more popular in the 2000s, but then MOBAs like Dota and LoL happened and yeah... I mean it's just maybe me but it's when I think it all went down hill from there.
12 Jul 2019, 09:11 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

In my eyes, CoH1 and CoH2 have both been a success, the community is still strong after 7 years, you can find matches fairly quick etc. So I see no reason why relic wouldn't want to give it another shot and perhaps it has already begun.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 49

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight