Login

russian armor

Sprinting while cloaked

29 Jun 2019, 17:24 PM

What does everyone think of passively cloaked unit’s also being able to sprint while invisible?

I just watched a game where cloaked stormtroopers were sprinting forwards while invisible over great distances.

This isn’t about stormtroopers specifically, this is lit if a discussion in the different types of cloaking in the game and how movement affects it.

Personally I think no unit should be able to be cloaked while moving, except snipers, who should retain their ability as is, while other stealth type units should get combat bonuses when attacking out of stealth. The whole sprinting whole invisible thing belongs in a science fiction game like Halo, not in a WWII game like CoH 2.

What do you all think?
29 Jun 2019, 17:31 PM

Sprint stealth seems a bit broken. If you sprint I feel you should lose cloak for the moment you sprint.
29 Jun 2019, 17:31 PM

Well that's only encirclement doc, which doesn't offer much outside of the ambush camo + Storms combo, so ehh, OP but not a huge problem.

I do agree the game would be better with only passive camo, outside of Snipers. Maybe an exception for Pathfinders, because they're mediocre at close range and USF has no snipers.
29 Jun 2019, 18:15 PM

Well that's only encirclement doc

Nope. Sprint got tied to every single ostheer "ambush camouflage" commander
29 Jun 2019, 20:29 PM

Can UKF Commandos sprint while cloaked? If so does it require the activation of a special ability that is doctrinal that is only in some of the commanders that have commandos? I didn’t opt to buy all the new commanders, so I can’t just fire up the game and check.

I mention commandos because I don’t want this to be a “Axis OP! Nerf Axis, buff Allies!” type of discussion. I’m more interested in the concept of cloaked sprinting and cloaked movement in general.

29 Jun 2019, 20:40 PM

The way Rangers and Paratroopers have the passive ability of “Bazooka experts” in the corner of their abilities slot with the tooltip about getting extra penetration and extra damage with bazookas when you hover over it gave me an idea about different types of camouflage getting the same type of tool tip.

You could make the passive ability named the same thing based on what it does in order to make camouflage abilities easier to understand to the player.

“Ambush Camouflage” - this unit will automatically cloak while stationary in cover and gains (whatever types of buffs) when attacking out of cloak. Unit will decloak when it moves.

“Cautious movement” - this unit may cloak while moving slowly over any terrain.

“Sniper training” - this unit automatically cloaks while in cover and may move from cover to cover while remaining cloaked. This unit will become visible after it is not in cover for x amount of time.

Ignore my exact phrasing for the abilities, but I think those should be the three basic types of cloak. Ambushers get better stats when attacking from cloak, but get revealed as soon as they move. Cautious movement allows the unit to move very slowly but is cloaked over any terrain. Sniper training allows the unit to move as normal speed at all times and cloaked automatically when in cover like snipers currently do.
29 Jun 2019, 23:48 PM

Can UKF Commandos sprint while cloaked?

No, their sprint activates with ambush, they can't spring with camo.
30 Jun 2019, 08:19 AM

Nope. Sprint got tied to every single ostheer "ambush camouflage" commander

Ambush camo is gone the moment the squad is out of cover only for a split second. Stormtroopers have commando camo, which doesn't give bonuses when attacking but lasts a while after leaving cover. Thus it really only matters in the encirclement doctrine, which as mentioned, unless you manage to pull off a close the pocket, doesn't offer much otherwise.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★