Login

russian armor

How does RNG work here?

18 Jun 2019, 14:31 PM

We know RNG is one core design of Coh, i spoke a lot of it too. Frankly i am not too clear how it works. Is it a separate values/multiplier that will apply on top of the normal stats? Like x% pen x% damage x RNG?

If so, can i suggest, if not already so, RNG values be rework according to vet levels and shot distance? Like max range, no-vet, we apply a worse RNG value. When unit move closer, RNG value should close up to 1.

Because i have seen point blank tank shot hitting the dirt.

By judging distance and veterancy, it also helps reduce the long range TD, the arty wall, improves the QoL.
18 Jun 2019, 15:01 PM

Not sure what the question and I am not sure how exactly the mechanics are coded but I will try to explain the best way I can.

Lets a weapons fire at vehicles:

1) A "dice" it rolled to check if the weapon has scored a hit.

2) If the weapons misses a dice is rolled to determine angular scatter and another linear.
3) Then there is a collision hit check, to see if the projectile score a "collision" hit.

4) If the projectile scored either a "natural" hit or a "collision" hit another dice is role to check if the weapon penetrated or not.
18 Jun 2019, 15:05 PM

RNG values are affected by distance/veterancy. The closer the target, the higher the chance to hit and penetrate. Veterancy often increases accuracy(multiplier applied to the chance to hit value at all times, if 50% chance to hit at long range and the multiplier from vet is 1,4(40% increased accuracy) then it becomes 70% chance to hit, at short range if the base value was 80%, it becomes 112%(quaranteed to hit))

Damage is completely normalized and is never random in coh2, unlike coh1.

Here is an example of the p4 main gun stats. When a unit fires at another, the chance to hit is determined by the value of accuracy*target size(of the enemy unit), in this case, at a range farther than 40, the p4 has a 0,025 accuracy value. Multiply that by the 1 target size of infantry, and you will pretty much never hit them directly, but multiply it by the target size of 22 of p4, and a you get 55%(0,025*22) chance to hit a p4 at long range. If a shot hits, there is also a need to determine whether it has penetrated the armor or not, the chance is calculated by dividing the penetration value by the armor value, in this case, the p4 will have 110 penetration at long range against another p4's 180 armor, so the chance to penetrate is 0,61(110/180). Both the accuracy value and the penetration are higher at close range, so naturally, the chance to hit/penetrate goes up.
18 Jun 2019, 15:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Reminder that even if you are hugging the enemy tank, you might miss if you are moving the tank.
I'm not 100% sure, but the turret moving should also apply the moving acc penalty as well.

Just for clarity sake.

RNG: it stands for random number generator. The system takes into account whatever the values of the units involved are, throws a "dice/calculation" and dictates what the result should be.

While the game has RNG elements, we as players can predict, mitigate or exploit the results of it. That's why good players will keep defeating bad players 99% of the time.

Most of the time the term is used when extreme cases happen or by people who don't know how statistics work.
Take for example a perfect balanced coin with no chance of falling on it's side so it's 50/50. Most people would expect to see a pretty close head-tail alternating after the other but the most likely result is that you will see long chains of (H) or (T) that will only average to 50/50 after a long amount of results.

This translated to the game, means that only small arm fire engagements are closer to be predictable while indirect fire and tank combat can be a bit more wild.

If those are your only complains about "RNG", then it's just a matter of not having enough knowledge about the game which unfortunately it's not explained well ingame.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★