Login

russian armor

Decent strat ive been using to beat LMGgren or AssGren Spam.

12 Oct 2013, 11:09 AM

Ranked around 400-600 with Soviet... so this strat works pretty damn well against everyone except the top 100 pros... lately since the new german meta seems to be LMG Gren spamming then p4, or osttrupen/assgren spam, i been going old school on em, works alot since germans are very predictable and dont expect a soviet to not spam conscripts. I actually hate conscripts and try to make only 1 or 2 for the AT nades, they are outclassed in every single way by anything the enemy has so they are just manpower drains.

I make a t2 building right off the bat, and 1 conscript while its being built. Then the engi and conscript go out to cap, i dont spread out much since im already behind since the building takes so long to complete (which is ridiculous IMO) so i keep em close together. Then i start spamming 2-3 maxims and lock down my side of the map quickly. Everytime I see those broken LMG grens I put a maxim on him. I then make 1 more conscript. If germans are using buildings maybe a mortar.

Heres where it gets fun... So usually german player will freak out and make a flame halftrack or some scout cars, thats why with this strategy I use the new Urban Defense Commander. If you bought him use him here it has good synergy with maxim spam because of the little AT gun. You can make this little AT guy at 1 command point and he only costs 200 mp. Also get AT nades researched for ur 1 or 2 conscripts that you should always have around the map. First vehicle you see try to AT nade it or atleast put your little AT gun on him, he wont be expecting this little guy and all the munitions he spent on those upped scout cars or FHT just went down the drain when it gets two shot. The At gun works better than gaurds in my opinion. Itll keep any german light vehicles off the field and is much cheaper. And now your maxims and weapon teams can reign supreme while you tech up to t3 or t4, your choice, but it should come pretty quick cuz u havent used much fuel.

Fun Fact, the little AT gun gets vett'ed up very quick and at vet 2 it does alot more damage, at this point it can really take out a good amount of a p4's hp, especially if you got an AT nade on it and hit it from the back ;)

This strat catches german players off gaurd pretty well because most of em are so used to easy mode they just spam LMG grens/assgrens/osttrupen no matter what you do and go thru their normal motions, this throws a big wrench in their plans and allows you to capitalize on their early game decisions.

If you dont have this commander, i'd imagine any Gaurds Rifle commander will do, but Gaurds are almost twice as expensive as the mini AT.

http://www.coh2.org/ladders/playercard/steamid/76561198096023775
12 Oct 2013, 11:49 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Sounds fun. Got any good replays?
12 Oct 2013, 12:34 PM

Problem is grens have no problem countering maxims. They die to 1-2 rifle grenades, if you lose 1 maxim it's pretty much gg.
13 Oct 2013, 04:27 AM

heres one replay. only one ive saved so far. i was mad at the time because the opponent disconnected. I was rude afterwards and it was uncalled for. I got rage issues, But whatevs. Good replay though between two decently ranked/skilled players

http://www.coh2.org/replays/9162/z3r0-zero-gets-owned-and-drophacks.-heres-the-proof.
13 Oct 2013, 05:01 AM

Just as a fun fact, the reason the light AT gun gains vet so fast is because vet is based on unit cost and damage it deals relative to that, which is also why scout cars gain veterancy very fast.
25 Oct 2013, 14:39 PM

How many CPs to get the M-42 AT Gun?
27 Oct 2013, 18:54 PM

So, this replay was deleted or what?

Too bad because I can't see how maxim-spam would work at good opponents. Maxims are so local a threat that it'll only work in houses. And even there the german counter is ready at hand in T1: mortar.

Ie. I've tried this and it did not work. Maybe I'm a butter-finger, but it failed BIG time, so I don't understand this at all.

The only similar strategy I can make work, is to steal a MG42. Most of the poor krauts have no idea how to combat their own, super effective weapon...
27 Oct 2013, 20:14 PM

Lately, I prefer a stolen Maxim over the MG42 as germans. It packs up, and deploys so quickly (and therfore turns fast in houses). If only I had it with a 6 man crew. Who needs a big arc, when you can be aggresive?
27 Oct 2013, 21:26 PM

I go 3 cons, 2 maxims 120mm, guards, at nades, at gun, t34, at gun, t34, m5 quad, then medic upgrade and muni cache. 120 mm is awesome against them. German player is in constant fear of losing his lmg gren squads if they dont move. Attacking with maxim only is suicide, yes it is mobile but anyways it is a support unit, use conscripts to advance and maxim behind to supress. 120mm will do the rest. You just have to not lose your base in first 6 min of the game
28 Oct 2013, 12:55 PM

Lately, I prefer a stolen Maxim over the MG42 as germans. It packs up, and deploys so quickly (and therfore turns fast in houses). If only I had it with a 6 man crew. Who needs a big arc, when you can be aggresive?

The problem with the Maxim is that a Gren squad coming straight at a set-up Maximcan still get a rifle nade off before it gets pinned, so you're constantly retreating and reinforcing your Maxim squad. I've managed to vet up stolen MG42's to Vet 2 or higher more than I have with my own Maxims. They still have their uses and I still build them, but I think the MG42 is more effective overall.
30 Oct 2013, 02:19 AM

The problem with the Maxim is that a Gren squad coming straight at a set-up Maximcan still get a rifle nade off before it gets pinned, so you're constantly retreating and reinforcing your Maxim squad. I've managed to vet up stolen MG42's to Vet 2 or higher more than I have with my own Maxims. They still have their uses and I still build them, but I think the MG42 is more effective overall.

...but this is also the case with the HMG42. Cons can charge and moly.
30 Oct 2013, 07:14 AM
Donator 22

and what are you doing, if the opponent using sniper? teching back to t1 ?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 56

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight