Login

russian armor

Fix OKW Sturm Offizier

4 Jun 2019, 21:45 PM

I wouldn't hate it, is definitely more interesting than just giving him and Stg or G43. It's also annoying that he carries a close range weapon because his squadmates carry Ober Kar98ks, so your ideal range to engage at is long.

I’m actually a big fan of officer and squad leader characters using short range weapons in an otherwise longer range oriented squad, like USF Lieutenant and Captains. I think it’s more realistic as very few units issued SMGs to whole units except highly specialized teams, while almost every warring nation issued squad leaders some sort of SMG to supplement the units close range firepower while on the assault or while defending from an assault.

For example, a Sturm Officer with an MP40 contributes little at long range while his bodyguards do the long range fighting. The Obers in his squad chip away at a charging CQB squad, weakening them enough that the officer can fend them off with his SMG if they do close the distance, but he doesn’t pack enough of a punch to be considered a full blown CQB squad himself.

This is how I think the veteran squad leader for WM Grenadiers should work too, a long range squad with enhanced close range defensive capabilities.
4 Jun 2019, 21:51 PM

I’m actually a big fan of officer and squad leader characters using short range weapons in an otherwise longer range oriented squad, like USF Lieutenant and Captains. I think it’s more realistic as very few units issued SMGs to whole units except highly specialized teams, while almost every warring nation issued squad leaders some sort of SMG to supplement the units close range firepower while on the assault or while defending from an assault.

Yeah I dont disagree at all. The "close range weapon" I was referring to was his pistol though, which really sucks. It's a "close range weapon" because thats its only range where it has a chance to do anything, which even still isnt that much. At least SMGs are VERY strong at close range, the officer pistol just stops being a decoration at close range. Its mediocre in general
4 Jun 2019, 21:58 PM

Yeah I dont disagree at all. The "close range weapon" I was referring to was his pistol though, which really sucks. It's a "close range weapon" because thats its only range where it has a chance to do anything, which even still isnt that much. At least SMGs are VERY strong at close range, the officer pistol just stops being a decoration at close range. Its mediocre in general

In war, handguns really are decorative on officers, especially in WWII when officer handgun training was often poor. The only real exception to this was some Americans who grew up with handguns in a marksmanship culture or British officers who had the same thing. In both of these cases they didn’t get good from Army training, they were good in spite of their poor official training.

Even today, handguns in the military are a specialized skill. Having trained and qualified as an expert shot in the Marines multiple times on both rifle and pistol I can tell you that a 100 yard shot at a man sized target is laughably easy with an M16 or M4, while it’s a dang hard shot with an M9! Lol

5 Jun 2019, 06:24 AM

That would just make the good commanders less good and the bad commanders still bad. How exactly would that be more effective at making the bad commanders better than... making the bad commanders better?

If all commanders are bad then none is bad xD
I think we're overthinking things here. Nerf what feels like deserves nerfs, and buff what feels like deserves buffs. Why ONLY nerf spec ops or ONLY buff partisans when you could just... do both?

Edit: There are less top tier commanders than there are bad commanders. So nerfing top tier commanders probably helps more than buffing all of the many weak ones. Think of OKW in this (false) dichotomy: you could nerf spec ops, or you could buff firestorm, scavenge, and luftwaffe. The former achieves more with less. Again though, why not both?

Pin all Heavy Tanks into tech would be a good start. But as i said above and i think you all agree that main changes should focus the commanders and less basic tier units.
5 Jun 2019, 06:36 AM

I meant healing other squads as a vet 0 ability, which was what you and/or Stark were suggesting.

I was only correcting that in the case of such a vet 0 healing ability, its utility wouldn't drop off over time because it's likely that after the patch with Breakthrough the majority of the infantry composition is going to be Panzerfusiliers, who do not get passive healing with veterancy.

I think it's definitely interesting to look into fitting it in somewhere, so the unit gets a more strategic role (skip fuel on medics to rush tanks faster, or skip med crates for more munitions for weapon upgrades) on top of a pure combat role. It'd synergize well with Panzerfusiliers, which would help set Breakthrough apart from the new Grand Offensive commander.

So maybe a upgradable healing like Tommies have? That could be interesting to see but it wouldn' solve the issue of vet5 bonus
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★