Login

russian armor

Mod Issue(s) - No long shows up in game.

24 Apr 2019, 03:41 AM

First post to this forum so go easy please and thanks.

- - - Mod no longer shows up in game. Because of this, I can no longer test or play the mod. I can however, make edits to the mod and build the mod no problem. - - -

To me, this seems like a pathing issue, but I have looked at my paths many times and haven't found an issue with them yet. An extra set of eyes to examine things would be appreciated. Paths will be posted below.

Tools -> Options

Game Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2
Tools Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Company of Heroes 2 Tools
Sig Path: Null
JavaH Path: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_121
FlexSDK Path: C:\flex_sdk_4.6

The mod itself is stored at this path.

C:\Users\MyName\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mod projects\Test Mod

Within the Test Mod folder is an instances, locale, and Test Mod Intermediate Cache folder(s).
There are also three files - Test Mod.mod , Test Mod.sga , Test Mod.xml

Test Mod.mod contains these paths.

attrib
attrib
C:\Users\MyName\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mod projects\Test Mod\Test Mod.xml

locale
english
C:\Users\MyName\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mod projects\Test Mod\locale\english\english.ucs

info
Test Mod

data
art
C:\Users\MyName\Desktop\Main Files\Games\RTS\Company of Heroes 2 Mods\Test Mod\data\art

Those are all of the paths that I believe are relevant and that I can remember offhand. If there are more, please remind me and I will update the post.

Before Test Mod stopped showing up in game it ran perfectly. Any change I made went without a hitch. No crashes. AI worked well. Worked online. Etc. The only issue I have been having is that Test Mod no longer shows up in the modding area as an unpublished or published mod. It does not show up in the tuning section (or any other section) when I attempt to create a custom match. It has just ceased to exist.

I can still make edits to the mod in the mod tools and they save / build just fine.

I appreciate feedback as I have been stumped on this issue for 2 to 3 weeks.
I also checked like 12 pages back on the forums to make sure no one else had encountered this problem or found a solution, but no luck there. If there is a post that seems to address this problem, chances are I missed it and would greatly appreciate a link.

At the end of the day, I just want to be able to make a mod and play it with my friends, ya feel?
24 Apr 2019, 04:50 AM
Master Modmaker Badge

Hey TacoLite, I once also had this problem and in my case, it indeed was a pathing issue. So if the mod worked before and now it doesn't I would say the mod path became too long. My advice right now would be to try moving your "Test Mod" folder on your desktop to make the path shorter, build the mod and see if the mod shows up.

I hope this will help you. If not let me know and I or some other modder that will come across this post will try to figure out another solution.
24 Apr 2019, 06:50 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The .sga file should be located in "C:\Users\NAME\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mods\tuning". Can you build your mod and confirm it's saved in there? Then startup the game and check again. I had the issue once that the game removed the .sga file because the mod contained a change which wasn't allowed (an edited .mua file in my case).
24 Apr 2019, 07:51 AM

Hey TacoLite, I once also had this problem and in my case, it indeed was a pathing issue. So if the mod worked before and now it doesn't I would say the mod path became too long. My advice right now would be to try moving your "Test Mod" folder on your desktop to make the path shorter, build the mod and see if the mod shows up.

I hope this will help you. If not let me know and I or some other modder that will come across this post will try to figure out another solution.

I moved the "Test Mod" folder to the Desktop and corrected the path to match. I then built the mod (no issues). Then launched Coh2, but no dice. Doesn't show up in game.
24 Apr 2019, 07:53 AM

The .sga file should be located in "C:\Users\NAME\Documents\my games\company of heroes 2\mods\tuning". Can you build your mod and confirm it's saved in there? Then startup the game and check again. I had the issue once that the game removed the .sga file because the mod contained a change which wasn't allowed (an edited .mua file in my case).

After completing Ragnar's instructions, I gave yours a go.

The Test Mod has always created a copy in the mods/tuning/ area and this recent attempt, yielded the same results. After following Ragnar's instructions, I closed Coh2. Checked the mods/tuning/ area, saw the Test Mod.sga sitting pretty.
27 Apr 2019, 04:48 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Usually this is because you've added a file/file-type thats locked off by the tools/game. Boot up the game and start a custom game, go into the mod list, then close the custom game and exit the game. Then, check the warnings.log for errors or warnings. There's a good chance it'll tell you what it doesn't want to load there.
27 Apr 2019, 06:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2019, 04:48 AMLugie
Usually this is because you've added a file/file-type thats locked off by the tools/game. Boot up the game and start a custom game, go into the mod list, then close the custom game and exit the game. Then, check the warnings.log for errors or warnings. There's a good chance it'll tell you what it doesn't want to load there.

Dice! Found an error listed in the warnings.log txt file(s). Consistent throughout all logs is an error stating that belgian_gate.mua is not an accepted file type and thus the mod file structure is not accepted. I will attempt to revert any changes involving the belgian_gate.mua (or anything related) and will post back with results soon.
27 Apr 2019, 11:57 AM

Dice! Found an error listed in the warnings.log txt file(s). Consistent throughout all logs is an error stating that belgian_gate.mua is not an accepted file type and thus the mod file structure is not accepted. I will attempt to revert any changes involving the belgian_gate.mua (or anything related) and will post back with results soon.

"Good news, everyone!"

The culprit was in fact the belgian_gate.mua file being included within the file structure. After removing the .mua file and everything pertaining to it, the mod became visible and playable (update-able, interact-able, etc). Everything is working well again. I appreciate everyone's input and advice. There was basically no way I would have found this on my own in a timely manner, if at all, since I had zero idea the warnings.log folder even existed. Moreover, I haven't found many in-depth tutorials on how to mod COH2, so most of my learning has been trial and error. Again, I appreciate you all for helping me in the 'error' side of all this.

Thank you all.

P.S. - If anyone does know how to properly enable / add belgian gates (like the ones in the "All Units" Mod) I would be stoked for them to help me on discord @TacoLite#7647 since I am clearly incapable of adding them on my own lol.

[Mods can archive this thread]
27 Apr 2019, 14:55 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Awesome that it is solved!

P.S. - If anyone does know how to properly enable / add belgian gates (like the ones in the "All Units" Mod) I would be stoked for them to help me on discord @TacoLite#7647 since I am clearly incapable of adding them on my own lol.

You can clone this tank trap:
ebps\races\german\buildings\defensive_structure\tank_trap

and then edit the blueprint to:
environment\objects\defenses\metal\belgian_gate_01\belgian_gate_01
27 Apr 2019, 18:31 PM

Awesome that it is solved!

You can clone this tank trap:
ebps\races\german\buildings\defensive_structure\tank_trap

and then edit the blueprint to:
environment\objects\defenses\metal\belgian_gate_01\belgian_gate_01

See, I tried doing something like that originally. I cloned an existing tank trap from the generic german defensive structures path and renamed it tank_trap2. I then went to change the blueprint / animator on it, and was asked to specify a path like normal. However the file path selecting window wants me to specify the path to the belgian gate files. I can find them with the archive viewer tool easy enough, but that just leads me back to the .mua file that started this whole thing.

EDIT: Perhaps if I spent more time listening to experienced modders and less time assuming I know what I'm doing, I might actually learn some stuff. For example, that I can edit the path without actually having to specify the file path through browsing and selecting, rather just typing it in as the desired animator and letting the system fill in the blanks for me - as it did.

I followed your directions, got confused, messed around some more, avoiding the .mua and other files, and happened to realize that I could manually edit the path, decided to interpret your directions literally after that and made the edit. Loaded up the game thinking: "oh boy, don't know how in the world this would work, but okay." and much to my surprise, building a tank trap, only to see a belgian gate appear. I stopped. Stared at my screen for a solid 5 or so seconds and went: "Oh. . . okay. That makes sense."

I appreciate the help and patience you put forth man. Especially the patience. I always remember playing the "All Units" mod with friends and thinking: "What if X mod had this or that from Y mod?" Like a belgian gate or Ostheer with Sturmpioneers (etc). It's a great feeling to be able to 'create' new* things like this. Thank you again.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 44
Germany 30
Germany 81
Israel 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %