Login

russian armor

why Rangers dont have any utility skill?

13 Apr 2019, 12:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2019, 12:42 PMddd
The problem is someone in balance team was bored and decided to destroy the only standing out feature of rangers, damage reduction.

Now you can be sure that this great "rework" will bring some problems while previously rangers were in a good spot.

What problems? The only thing the changes did was to remove the squad's lower vulnerability to AOE weapons, which had no place in the game since it was neither thematic nor communicated to the player (unlike Shocktrooper armor for example that is shown cosmetically).
13 Apr 2019, 12:55 PM

What problems? The only thing the changes did was to remove the squad's lower vulnerability to AOE weapons, which had no place in the game since it was neither thematic nor communicated to the player.

While I agree with the sentiment, received damage is also a more consistent modifier than the received accuracy that replaced it.
ddd
13 Apr 2019, 13:10 PM

What problems? The only thing the changes did was to remove the squad's lower vulnerability to AOE weapons, which had no place in the game since it was neither thematic nor communicated to the player (unlike Shocktrooper armor for example that is shown cosmetically).

The problem is that you felt the need to remove it in the first place. Rangers were not causing any issues, at the same time they were doing their job just fine.

Why even touch them when there are so many garbage units in usf roster that need some buffs/rework?

The DMG reduction was very thematic as Rangers are supposed to charge at enemy positions alongside Pershing (Combined Arms ability suggests this use of Rangers) and they need to get close to do some damage, having DMG reduction was helpful to avoid being blown up by random tank or mortar shell.

DMG reduction wasnt communicated to players... And how is vetted JLI insane received accuracy communicated to players? Maybe make them ballerinas jumping around?

Rangers had DMG reduction for years and it didnt cause any issues (while many other units were breaking game balance) and now, in 2019, you say it has no place in the game. Thats very random statement. Just for clarification, elite squad with frag nade as their only "feature" has place in the game?

13 Apr 2019, 13:18 PM

People in the forum

JLI - so many skills, insane RA bonus even he is long range unit, can snipe, come out 1cp -> ok

Ranger - only can use grenade, come out 3cp, damage reduce(even it will be take away), just have good dps in mid-short range -> No, ranger is OP, thier stats is "utility"(WTF lololol)

interesting

13 Apr 2019, 13:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2019, 13:10 PMddd
The DMG reduction was very thematic as Rangers are supposed to charge at enemy positions alongside Pershing (Combined Arms ability suggests this use of Rangers) and they need to get close to do some damage, having DMG reduction was helpful to avoid being blown up by random tank or mortar shell.

If that was their intended theme, shouldn't the damage reduction only have applied when near an armored vehicle (or just the Pershing)? And with combined arms being the only relatable theme, the similarly named ability itself is enough. There's no need to give a squad a hidden modifier that gives them an advantage in all situations on top of being able to use an ability that enhances their stats when operating near vehicles.

DMG reduction wasnt communicated to players... And how is vetted JLI insane received accuracy communicated to players? Maybe make them ballerinas jumping around?

All infantry squads in the game get lower received accuracy as they vet up. JLI are nothing special, it's still the same mechanic at work, they just get a higher bonus than average. On top of that, JLI received accuracy veterancy bonus is communicated in the veterancy description that every player has access to (though admittedly Relic's descriptions aren't the best).

This is not comparable to a hidden damage reduction modifier that isn't shown in the game nor is it mentioned anywhere in the Rangers' unit descriptions (again unlike Shocktroopers, whose description mentions they use light body armor).
13 Apr 2019, 13:24 PM

I know it sounds rather odd and strange but I think Saving Private Ryan gives a few good idea for the Rangers.

A marksman upgrade which gives one Ranger the Pathfinder Scoped Garand and a "snipe" ability similar to the one of the CoH British Recon Section. Perhaps it can take 2 inventory slots as to not be OP. Make them longer ranged.

"Grenade rush" a la the radio bunker assault they did. Squad sprints to the target location and all members throw a grenade each but they get increased received accuracy as a trade off.

Medic upgrade. One member of the squad can be upgraded to a medic, maybe similar to the British medic upgrade?

Sticky grenades, maybe something like the Cav Rifle AT satchel charge but needs to be upgraded or something.

"Rangers lead the way" sounds like a no brainer but I'm not sure how to proceed with it.

ddd
13 Apr 2019, 13:35 PM

If that was their intended theme, shouldn't the damage reduction only have applied when near an armored vehicle (or just the Pershing)? And with combined arms being the only relatable theme, the similarly named ability itself is enough.

Making abilities that work in very specific situations or are more complicated than they should is bad for any competitive game. Thats why Rangers DMG reduction was good feature, it was simple and it worked. Didnt cause any issues. Easy to understand.

You didnt understand my previous post, i wasnt talking about heavy cav overall theme, i pointed out how Rangers specifically follow this theme. Combined Arms has nothing to do with Ranger squad being good at assaulting enemy positions.

But you already said Combined Arms is enough so i guess we have to accept The Judgment...

All infantry squads in the game get lower received accuracy as they vet up. JLI are nothing special, besides getting a lower value than average. But it's still the same mechanics that are at work. On top of that, JLI received accuracy veterancy bonus is communicated in the veterancy description that every player has access to (though admittedly Relic's descriptions aren't the best).

This is not comparable to a hidden damage reduction modifier that isn't shown in the game nor is it mentioned anywhere in the Rangers' unit descriptions (again unlike Shocktroopers, whose descriptions mentions they use light body armor).

Wait, so all this fuss just because there is no mention of DMG reduction in Rangers description? I got genius idea to make things simpler:

Add "Has Damage Reduction" to Rangers desription.

Done.
13 Apr 2019, 13:58 PM

The problem is that you felt the need to remove it in the first place. Rangers were not causing any issues, at the same time they were doing their job just fine.

Because they had a cost reduction and they where simply too cost efficient.

The idea behind cost reduction is probably so that people can afford built more of them, so instead very expensive very strong units you get less strong less expensive unit similar to the changes to obers.
ddd
13 Apr 2019, 14:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2019, 13:58 PMVipper

Because they had a cost reduction and they where simply too cost efficient.

The idea behind cost reduction is probably so that people can afford built more of them, so instead very expensive very strong units you get less strong less expensive unit similar to the changes to obers.

This actualy makes sense for a bad idea change. Last thing anyone needed was more Rangers on the field. One strong CQC squad to break some defenses was ideal, no need for changes there. Their cost was justified too. These are some changes just for the sake of changes.

I repeat my idea for balance team:

Use unique Ranger skin from game files, apply your changes to that squad, add it to new commander under new name. Leave heavy cav Rangers as they are.
13 Apr 2019, 14:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2019, 14:05 PMddd

This actualy makes sense for a bad idea change. Last thing anyone needed was more Rangers on the field. One strong CQC squad to break some defenses was ideal, no need for changes there. Their cost was justified too. These are some changes just for the sake of changes.

I repeat my idea for balance team:

Use unique Ranger skin from game files, apply your changes to that squad, add it to new commander under new name. Leave heavy cav Rangers as they are.

I am not actually defending the changes I am simply answering your question why they removed the damage modifier.
13 Apr 2019, 14:08 PM

A) That unique ranger skin doesn't exist. The campaign just has some maps with different lighting

B) God no to the proposals

C) I have no idea why the patch is changing rangers at all but I am starting to wiah they hadn't
13 Apr 2019, 14:34 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Invissed several posts. If you want to discuss, discuss in a civil manner.

You have been warned.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS