Login

russian armor

Watchtower points too passively useful

5 Oct 2013, 21:22 PM

So, playing on a map with a watchtower I realized that the watchtower was a bit too useful while also being too passive.

I recommend that the watchtower no longer grants a large sight radius automatically, but instead has a normal size. Then instead, you can use the Soviet sniper flare ability on a cooldown from the watchtower.

Passive, super long range sight is way too powerful in a game like CoH2. Using the flare ability accomplishes a similar thing, requires a small bit of micro, and has another benefit of alerting players when they're being observed.

Alternatively, this can be a completely different kind of point called an Observer Post, with a flare launcher model and a guy with binoculars in a tower. Watchtowers would then be relegated to farther back points on the map, and in places like Pripyat Winter, where the central watchtower reigns supreme, it becomes and observer post.
MMD
5 Oct 2013, 21:54 PM

The idea behind a watchtower is kind of in its name
5 Oct 2013, 22:04 PM

Well duh, and I was making an argument.
5 Oct 2013, 22:24 PM

I like them as is
6 Oct 2013, 06:25 AM

Permanently Banned
Sitting in the watchtower is tantamount to suicide by ordnance.

You may see far, but you are also a sitting duck.

"Passive, super long range sight" is extremely rare and situational in CoH2. You overstate the problem immensely. This game has extremely convoluted maps, all manner of LoS blockers, smoke and goddam Blizzards.
6 Oct 2013, 06:45 AM

I think watchtowers should be destructible. It's silly that they are not.

Also, it would probably make sense if a unit had to be inside the watchtower in order to grant sight but this is a lesser point.

I think the capping mechanic centered around watchtowers is awkward but it sort of makes sense from a gameplay perspective.

6 Oct 2013, 07:18 AM

My opinion of the watch tower is that it is ridiculously powerful. On Pripyat it's by far the most important point on the map, more so than the fuels. If you take that central area and put an MG and AT gun there they can't flank you as you see it way out. You can also mortar targets using its sight and tell which way their own MGs and AT guns are facing to plan attacks on the surround 3 VPs (which it covers with its sight, which may be why it's so powerful on this map).

I like your ideas TS. Maybe making it so the watch tower needs to be occupied for sight? or the flare idea's suggested could be interesting.
6 Oct 2013, 07:34 AM

Permanently Banned
Also, it would probably make sense if a unit had to be inside the watchtower in order to grant sight but this is a lesser point.

It doesn't? Damn. Yeah, that would be a good place to start then.
6 Oct 2013, 07:37 AM

It doesn't? Damn. Yeah, that would be a good place to start then.

more proof that nullist doesn't even play
6 Oct 2013, 07:39 AM

Permanently Banned

No one knows everything. Was an innocent mistake and one that leads me to agree with OP.

Kindly remove the long object from your anus and relax.
6 Oct 2013, 08:28 AM

I knew about this, but in nullist's defence, there is only one watchtower in 1v1s/2v2s in the game.
6 Oct 2013, 20:13 PM
Patrion 14

Edit: Error of thought, disregard this post.
7 Oct 2013, 14:32 PM

Sitting in the watchtower is tantamount to suicide by ordnance.

You may see far, but you are also a sitting duck.

"Passive, super long range sight" is extremely rare and situational in CoH2. You overstate the problem immensely. This game has extremely convoluted maps, all manner of LoS blockers, smoke and goddam Blizzards.

If I remember correctly the Watchtower doesn't care about lineblockers, (or Blizzards?). Or does he?
7 Oct 2013, 15:00 PM

No one knows everything. Was an innocent mistake and one that leads me to agree with OP.

Kindly remove the long object from your anus and relax.

I think I just pissed myself.
7 Oct 2013, 17:22 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

If I remember correctly the Watchtower doesn't care about lineblockers, (or Blizzards?). Or does he?

No the watchtowers are still affected by LoS blockers. I have no idea how much effect a blizzard has, maybe 50% reduction?
12 Oct 2013, 03:21 AM

NERF THE WATCHTOWER????

REALLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYY?

By golly this crumple muffin is getting out of hand man. I propose a ban on proposals that propose to nerf thngs.
12 Oct 2013, 03:45 AM

watch tower is fine. it has a large sight radius, that the point
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United States 17
unknown 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %