Login

russian armor

[POLL] Assault Rifles in COH

What do you think about Assault Rifles in general as a weapon class (with athe specific mid-ish dps curve) [ignore unit cost and
Option Distribution Votes
100%
0%
What units should carry assault rifles ?
67%
0%
33%
US weapon classes, best choice for assault rifles role ?
81%
19%
German weapon classes, best choice for assault rifles role ?
100%
0%
Soviet weapon classes, best choice for assault rifles role in hypothetical coh 3 faction ?
86%
14%
UK weapon classes, best choice for assault rifles role ?
31%
63%
6%
Semi-auto assault rifles, what role should they have ?
19%
13%
69%
Total votes: 108
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
23 Mar 2019, 11:51 AM

Just a poll about one of the most controversial topic in the COH 2 life cycle.

Also some thoughts about semi auto rifles.
23 Mar 2019, 11:58 AM
Donator 11

Also some thoughts about semi auto rifles.

Assult rifles are kind of by definition capable of full auto. What do you mean by that?
23 Mar 2019, 12:00 PM

Assult rifles are kind of by definition capable of full auto. What do you mean by that?

I was talking about G41, STV-40, etc.

The last question is about those weapons because such weapon class saw a lot of changes and a lot of very different implementations.
23 Mar 2019, 12:00 PM

The second question needs a both option
23 Mar 2019, 12:02 PM

The second question needs a both option

Damn me, i could swear i actually added it -_-

Can mods do it ?
23 Mar 2019, 12:03 PM
Donator 11

I was talking about G41, STV-40, etc.

The last question is about those weapons because such weapon class saw a lot of changes and a lot of very different implementations.

These weapons are just semi automatic rifles. There is nothing of assault rifle theme in them. If by assault rifles (historical/gun terminology) you mean mid range guns (game terminology) then please use that term not to confuse people.
23 Mar 2019, 12:05 PM

These weapons are just semi automatic rifles. There is nothing of assault rifle theme in them. If by assault rifles (historical/gun terminology) you mean mid range guns (game terminology) then please use that term not to confuse people.

Yes, i actually asked a question about semi auto separated from assauot rifles question. The title refers to the big talking point and i actually edited that way because of letters limit.

The last question is about semi auto rifles as a weapon class.
23 Mar 2019, 12:08 PM
Donator 11

Yes, i actually asked a question about semi auto separated from assauot rifles question. The title refers to the big talking point and i actually edited that way because of letters limit.

The last question is about semi auto rifles as a weapon class.

Ok, sounds reasonable. Possibly then the word "assault" in the last question is not intended. I would recommend asking mods to remove it.
23 Mar 2019, 12:10 PM

Ok, sounds reasonable. Possibly then the word "assault" in the last question is not intended. I would recommend asking mods to remove it.

Right

Can mods remove assault for last question title and add "both" as option to the second question ?
23 Mar 2019, 12:52 PM

Imo assault rifles should be designed to be good at range 7.5-17.5.
That roughly translates:

They should be inferior to SMG bellow 10 and even more so at range 5-0.

They should be inferior to Carbine (semi auto) above 25.

They should be very inferior to Bolt action above 25.

They should be available to units designed to fight Mid range 10-20.

Ostheer/OKW by definition the ST44 is their assault rifle since it was the first "assault rifle".

If there is a need for UKF to have an "assault rifle" one could try giving that role to Bren keeping Vickers K as LMG.

Same goes of USF with Bar.

Soviet in game do not have a weapon suited for that role.
23 Mar 2019, 13:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2019, 12:52 PMVipper

Soviet in game do not have a weapon suited for that role.

Chances are people won't recognize an atv from an stv if you have both in your hands, even less in coh 2.

Mods cab litterally name an stv atv and give it auto fire.
A_E
23 Mar 2019, 13:01 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Zenith of assault rifle concept in CoH is of course BARs as they were implemented in CoH1 as an expensive but global upgrade. You could make you riflemen killers at mid range but at the expense of a shit ton of fuel, thus nerfing your teching. Great balance and design.
23 Mar 2019, 13:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2019, 13:01 PMA_E
Zenith of assault rifle concept in CoH is of course BARs as they were implemented in CoH1 as an expensive but global upgrade. You could make you riflemen killers at mid range but at the expense of a shit ton of fuel, thus nerfing your teching. Great balance and design.

Would global upgrades work tho ? I kinda like the consistency of playing munitions for single weaponry upgrades and equipment
A_E
23 Mar 2019, 13:19 PM
Lead Caster Badge
Donator 11

Would global upgrades work tho ? I kinda like the consistency of playing munitions for single weaponry upgrades and equipment

Well yes, they did work. As long as the risk reward and strategic outlay is well thought out, as they were in that scenario.
23 Mar 2019, 13:38 PM

About ATV-40 as possible coh 2 introduction.

"an SVT version capable of full-automatic fire (designated the AVT-40) was ordered into production on 20 May 1942; the first batches reached the troops in July.[7] It was externally similar to the SVT, but its modified safety also acted as a fire selector allowing for both semi-automatic and fully automatic fire modes"

23 Mar 2019, 13:47 PM
Donator 11

About ATV-40 as possible coh 2 introduction.

"an SVT version capable of full-automatic fire (designated the AVT-40) was ordered into production on 20 May 1942; the first batches reached the troops in July.[7] It was externally similar to the SVT, but its modified safety also acted as a fire selector allowing for both semi-automatic and fully automatic fire modes"

As far as I remember it wasn't a very successful rifle. The cartridge was too powerful to shoot short bursts like STG would and the gun had no bipod to be used like a BAR. In effect the only point of using full auto was fighting in close quarters. Such characteristics, when transformed into coh2 weapon model would mean very short burst at long to mid range, effectively equal to SVT and big dps increase at short range that would overlap with SMGs. It doesn't sound great, does it?

Btw. honestly, we don't really need assault rifle on every faction. And SVT troops definitely give soviet forces enough mid range oriented firepower.
23 Mar 2019, 14:15 PM

As far as I remember it wasn't a very successful rifle. The cartridge was too powerful to shoot short bursts like STG would and the gun had no bipod to be used like a BAR. In effect the only point of using full auto was fighting in close quarters. Such characteristics, when transformed into coh2 weapon model would mean very short burst at long to mid range, effectively equal to SVT and big dps increase at short range that would overlap with SMGs. It doesn't sound great, does it?

Btw. honestly, we don't really need assault rifle on every faction. And SVT troops definitely give soviet forces enough mid range oriented firepower.

Look at how pretty controllable the AVT-40 is in short bursts, even the full automaton has a return strictly backward. And M14 - which jumps like a mad bull.

Also about the AVT, the soldiers demanded that they be sent more AVT to the front, the SVTs altered in AVT in the front-line masters. And therefore, from 1943 until 1945, SVT was produced only as AVT. The soldiers liked the automatic fire in critical situations.
For AVT produced 15-cartridge magazine. Like this soldier of the Czechoslovakian corpus:

In 1944, when Tokarev modernized the SVT-40, a reliable 20-cartridge magazine for SVT was developed. Improved SVT was not produced (because in 1943 the military focused entirely on weapons for an intermediate cartridge), but the 20-cartridge magazine was issued in small batches and used on the front.
23 Mar 2019, 15:50 PM

According to test contacted by Soviet army it was inferior to SMGs close and semi auto rifles long range.

Personally I am not against the AVT maybe for the new Soviet paratroopers if they can get the animation and sounds right, but I see little reason for it. You can get similar result (or even better) with Assault Guards and the ppsh/SVT combination.

Finally each faction seems to be better oriented to fight a specific ranges and the soviets seem to have units for all ranges thus I see little point in it.
23 Mar 2019, 16:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2019, 15:50 PMVipper

According to test contacted by Soviet army it was inferior to SMGs close and semi auto rifles long range.

Personally I am not against the AVT maybe for the new Soviet paratroopers if they can get the animation and sounds right, but I see little reason for it. You can get similar result (or even better) with Assault Guards and the ppsh/SVT combination.

Finally each faction seems to be better oriented to fight a specific ranges and the soviets seem to have units for all ranges thus I see little point in it.

The meaning of why the soldiers demanded more AVT - the density of fire. German artillery shoots the Soviet positions and trenches. Artillery caused serious losses, but the remaining soldiers still have a high density of fire due to AVT, which makes it possible to stop the German attack. Many reports from such a situation came to the plant production of SVT-40, and that is why since 1943 SVT was produced only as AVT.
23 Mar 2019, 16:06 PM

It wasn't, but other equipment in COH 2 was shit too.

Elephant (albeit not as bad as Ferdinand) had an operational rate of 40-50% compared to standard 60-70% of other vehicles.

KV2 could litterally break the chassis into pieces at any shot, potentially harming the crew. That to the point that they reconverted KV2 into KV1.

Is just to give all faction multiple tools, there's this option.

"effectively equal to SVT"

That implies that we can't change STV-40 to work like G43.

Honestly i would have designed STV to be guards standard weapons, with a long range dps curve with high accuracy and low damage, so it could synergize with dp28 upgrade, like paratroopers m1 carbine synergize with thompsons and still carry some punch at close range.

Again, here we are talking about weapon classes in a way that this game never really fid (that's why we get multiple weapons with completely different stats and such)

"Btw. honestly, we don't really need assault rifle on every faction."

Absolutely, assault rifles should be doctrinal for some faction.
Ost, OKW, UKF as options for CP 0/1 rifle-like squads.

"Russia is a close range oriented faction"

True, that's why 6 men squads with 2 ATV-40 as upgrade could be their Tier 1 option and STV could be their guard infantry standard weapon, or even as equivalent to G43 doctrinal upgrade for grens.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 16
Germany 4
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak