25 Mar 2019, 08:22 AM

Dream team Urban Defense

CP0 - Riflenade
CP2 - Smoke
CP4 - M8
CP4 - Rangers
CP9 - Calliope
25 Mar 2019, 13:19 PM

The commander need a complete re-work other wise USF has far better choices for "Urban" assaults TBH.
25 Mar 2019, 13:40 PM

What about the 155mm Artillery ability? It used to be in Mechanized before the revamp, and was a very well-regarded light offmap strike.
ddd
25 Mar 2019, 13:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2019, 13:40 PMLago
What about the 155mm Artillery ability? It used to be in Mechanized before the revamp, and was a very well-regarded light offmap strike.

Its still in mechanized, tied to wc51 but usable only after you unlock major (as if anyone has wc51 alive at this point). Its good ability but there is already calliope for artillery support and it seems like most people want easy8. Its unique model thats sees 0 use in automatch, would be nice to build something else than 75mm and jackson.
25 Mar 2019, 13:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Mar 2019, 13:46 PMddd
Its still in mechanized, tied to wc51 but usable only after you unlock major (as if anyone has wc51 alive at this point). Its good ability but there is already calliope for artillery support and it seems like most people want easy8. Its unique model thats sees 0 use in automatch, would be nice to build something else than 75mm and jackson.

I mean as a proper off-map.
25 Mar 2019, 19:16 PM

"The commander need a complete re-work other wise USF has far better choices for "Urban" assaults TBH."

I don't see how the 105mm Sherman Bulldozer wasn't included right off the bat. There's respecting the initial suggestion, and then there's respecting the (ostensible) commander theme.
25 Mar 2019, 23:37 PM

Honestly this commander looked great until calliopes were used instead of priests. Doctrines in general struggle to be relevant in anything other than 1v1 without at least some form of (not rocket) artillery, either on map or off map. Even if the calliope has been buffed, I would still suggest giving this commander Priests instead of calliope, thus making this a more close quarters focused infantry company, or replace smoke arty with Time on Target/155 arty/240mm arty.

If I'm going to choose a doctrine without artillery, it will be between this and Heavy Cavalry of which I'd take Heavy Cav every time. Even giving this commander Time on Target instead of either priests or calliopes would make this doctrine better, allowing it at least to deny axis artillery if not having it's own.

Whilst the british commander also doesn't have artillery, it at least has the Base 25 pdrs with tommy flares.

Also why is Dozer blades used as an entire commander ability? For a start when am I supposed to use them? if I am gonna build calliopes I'm gonna want Jackson's to defend them not shermans, so it's not even gonna fit within the pop cap. Mechanised gets Dozer Blades and 76mm shermans for the same ability, So either give it that or change it to the sherman 105. However with access to Rangers and scots already in the roster, I don't really think this commander needs 105s either. I really think this commander needs to be rebuilt from the ground up as there is absolutely zero ability synergy or relevance to gameplay.

I'd prefer:
Urban Assault:
1: Assault Engineers
2. M5 Halftrack Edit: Or Sherman Crocodile??
3. M8 Greyhound or this
4. Smoke or Phosphorous Barrage
5. Priests

Alternatively swap assault engies for Rangers but add Rear Echelon Flamers, perhaps instead of the half track. I think Assault engineers are more useful than Rangers for "Urban Assault", they are more or less equally as potent but much cheaper both to buy and reinforce and can build mines (and demo charges) to defend priests like in infantry company.
26 Mar 2019, 03:18 AM

Honestly this commander looked great until calliopes were used instead of priests. Doctrines in general struggle to be relevant in anything other than 1v1 without at least some form of (not rocket) artillery, either on map or off map. Even if the calliope has been buffed, I would still suggest giving this commander Priests instead of calliope, thus making this a more close quarters focused infantry company, or replace smoke arty with Time on Target/155 arty/240mm arty.

If I'm going to choose a doctrine without artillery, it will be between this and Heavy Cavalry of which I'd take Heavy Cav every time. Even giving this commander Time on Target instead of either priests or calliopes would make this doctrine better, allowing it at least to deny axis artillery if not having it's own.

Whilst the british commander also doesn't have artillery, it at least has the Base 25 pdrs with tommy flares.

Also why is Dozer blades used as an entire commander ability? For a start when am I supposed to use them? if I am gonna build calliopes I'm gonna want Jackson's to defend them not shermans, so it's not even gonna fit within the pop cap. Mechanised gets Dozer Blades and 76mm shermans for the same ability, So either give it that or change it to the sherman 105. However with access to Rangers and scots already in the roster, I don't really think this commander needs 105s either. I really think this commander needs to be rebuilt from the ground up as there is absolutely zero ability synergy or relevance to gameplay.

I'd prefer:
Urban Assault:
1: Assault Engineers
2. M5 Halftrack
3. M8 Greyhound
4. Smoke or Phosphorous Barrage
5. Priests

Alternatively swap assault engies for Rangers but add Rear Echelon Flamers, perhaps instead of the half track. I think Assault engineers are more useful than Rangers for "Urban Assault", they are more or less equally as potent but much cheaper both to buy and reinforce and can build mines (and demo charges) to defend priests like in infantry company.

Would be nice to see the M8 in another commander as well but people are acting like it should be an exclusive thing only for Recon Co. for some reason, as if it's the saving grace for the commander.

Apart from that yeah, Ass engines, flamethrowera for REs and even a Sherman Croc all fit thematically.

Never seen or heard of Priests or Calliopes used on towns or cities tho since the Allies tried to minimize destruction of property and civilian casualties. The Soviets were more ruthless and just straight off brought their siege arty into position not giving a fuck.

WP ability from Rifle company might make sense tho, not sure exactly.
26 Mar 2019, 03:49 AM

Would be nice to see the M8 in another commander as well but people are acting like it should be an exclusive thing only for Recon Co. for some reason, as if it's the saving grace for the commander.

Apart from that yeah, Ass engines, flamethrowera for REs and even a Sherman Croc all fit thematically.

Never seen or heard of Priests or Calliopes used on towns or cities tho since the Allies tried to minimize destruction of property and civilian casualties. The Soviets were more ruthless and just straight off brought their siege arty into position not giving a fuck.

WP ability from Rifle company might make sense tho, not sure exactly.

Recon support is a strong commander right now if you ask me, everything in it is really useful and those butterfly bombs are lethal. Sherman croc shouldn't be too difficult to model surely? I don't think anyone would mind/notice if the hull machine gun had its weapon profile and graphic changed to a flamethrower with no external changes. (could always add some fuel barrels to the model or something like was done to the t34 or something).

Priests (and calliopes) might not be perhaps 'historical' for "Urban Assault" but in terms of the game it would make the commander immediately meta in everything from 1v1 to 4v4 rather than just 1v1. Whereas Calliopes with no other artillery make it Immediately not, even with the buff.

I wasn't really sure about the M5 halftrack, I kinda ran out of ideas, it was either that or combined arms/rifleman flares or something but it would synergise really well with ass engies and their flamethrowers.
26 Mar 2019, 09:52 AM

i mostly would change like this:

include satchel charges for riflemen with re rifle grenade package

switch calliope to bulldozer sherman

give ranger some other weapon upgrade choice than just thompsons, like lmg or tank hunter kit

With Dozerblades i am not completely sure what could fit there. Maybe p47 incendiary bomb run or something.
26 Mar 2019, 10:23 AM

Recon support is a strong commander right now if you ask me, everything in it is really useful and those butterfly bombs are lethal. Sherman croc shouldn't be too difficult to model surely? I don't think anyone would mind/notice if the hull machine gun had its weapon profile and graphic changed to a flamethrower with no external changes. (could always add some fuel barrels to the model or something like was done to the t34 or something).

Priests (and calliopes) might not be perhaps 'historical' for "Urban Assault" but in terms of the game it would make the commander immediately meta in everything from 1v1 to 4v4 rather than just 1v1. Whereas Calliopes with no other artillery make it Immediately not, even with the buff.

I wasn't really sure about the M5 halftrack, I kinda ran out of ideas, it was either that or combined arms/rifleman flares or something but it would synergise really well with ass engies and their flamethrowers.

The problem is that the mod tools limits us so a mobile flamethrower tank like the Sherman and T34 is impossible unless somebody either thinks up a work around or Relic do it on their side.
26 Mar 2019, 11:14 AM

The problem is that the mod tools limits us so a mobile flamethrower tank like the Sherman and T34 is impossible unless somebody either thinks up a work around or Relic do it on their side.

What about literally just a churchill croc with the skin of a sherman and adjusted hitpoints or something like that?

Also I don't know if this is relevant to other USF players but one of the reasons I suggest priests is cos whenever I play with mates my mate who plays USF is always doomed to play infantry company every game, same if I play them, so it would be nice to have an alternative. I've noticed if USF are involved, priests often are too, I think right now priests fit USF meta very well so I reckon USF having another Priest doctrine is a good shout.
26 Mar 2019, 11:16 AM

What about literally just a churchill croc with the skin of a sherman and adjusted hitpoints or something like that?

Do you mean it still looks like a Churchill, just with 'Sherman' written on it?

The mod tools apparently can't stick a flamer on a Sherman model.
26 Mar 2019, 13:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2019, 11:16 AMLago

Do you mean it still looks like a Churchill, just with 'Sherman' written on it?

The mod tools apparently can't stick a flamer on a Sherman model.

Nah what I meant was the tank acts as a churchill crocodile with everything else being identical to a churchill croc but using the model of a sherman and adjusting its health and armour values. For example, there are now several models/skins of the t34 in game that all function identically to a regular t34 but look slightly different (packs and fuel cans etc). What about essentially giving USF a churchill crocodile unit but using the radically different sherman model rather than a similar model and adjusting its hitpoints.

What would be easier though is just changing the weapons. I believe the mod tools can't add the 'flamethrower' itself to the sherman model, i.e.-the appearance. I haven't seen anyone say that you can't swap out its hull MG/Co-axial MG animation for a flamethrower animation and use the flamethrower damage profile for that weapon rather than the machine gun animation and damage profile, similar to how the KV-8 can shoot flame or shells out of it's barrel.
26 Mar 2019, 14:14 PM

Nah what I meant was the tank acts as a churchill crocodile with everything else being identical to a churchill croc but using the model of a sherman and adjusting its health and armour values. For example, there are now several models/skins of the t34 in game that all function identically to a regular t34 but look slightly different (packs and fuel cans etc). What about essentially giving USF a churchill crocodile unit but using the radically different sherman model rather than a similar model and adjusting its hitpoints.

What would be easier though is just changing the weapons. I believe the mod tools can't add the 'flamethrower' itself to the sherman model, i.e.-the appearance. I haven't seen anyone say that you can't swap out its hull MG/Co-axial MG animation for a flamethrower animation and use the flamethrower damage profile for that weapon rather than the machine gun animation and damage profile, similar to how the KV-8 can shoot flame or shells out of it's barrel.

That's what A. Soldier was saying: the modders have tried exactly that and you have to turn the Sherman into an emplacement to make it work.
26 Mar 2019, 14:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2019, 14:14 PMLago

That's what A. Soldier was saying: the modders have tried exactly that and you have to turn the Sherman into an emplacement to make it work.

Ah my bad.

Which one? editing the weapons or changing the model?
26 Mar 2019, 14:38 PM

i
With Dozerblades i am not completely sure what could fit there.

As i said before dozer blades should give u access to fosfor shells like in comet.

And change that smoke offmap into pinpoint small radius fosfor barrage.
Urban assault without fosfor ?
26 Mar 2019, 15:58 PM

Ah my bad.

Which one? editing the weapons or changing the model?

As far as I know, you can't put a flamer on a Sherman model and have the animations work unless you turn the Sherman into an emplacement.
27 Mar 2019, 21:27 PM
Patrion 26

Based on a poll someone did, it looks like most people would like to see the Sherman blades replaced by an easy8. Which would certainly improve this commander a lot.
27 Mar 2019, 21:45 PM

Based on a poll someone did, it looks like most people would like to see the Sherman blades replaced by an easy8. Which would certainly improve this commander a lot.
Some people thinks its too much and rifle company will be overshadowed by urban commander but rifle company is dead anyway so yeah why not.

But what about bundle caliope with e8 into one ability? Then all commanders with caliope or with e8 will be on same level. Damn i like it
PAGES (17)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS