Login

russian armor

Conscripts vs OKW

27 Feb 2019, 17:08 PM

Trying to learn how to play conscripts rather than penals, having a lot of trouble against okw. What strategies are working for you? 3 vs 4 cons, prioritizing molotovs or flamer engi. Guards or shocks, if any.

One specific thing that gives me a lot of trouble is mechanized into command panther. Puma is so good against t70 and walking stuka counters any team weapon play pretty well. Additionally I feel like early game engagements are difficult to win. If I split up to cap I stand no chance to beat the capping power of kubal combined with effective pushing power of volks and sturms. But grouping them together usually leads to a con getting suppress suppressed by an mg and forcing a retreat.

Any tips or helpful game replays/casts that demonstrate effective use of cons vs okw would be appreciated. Thanks!
27 Feb 2019, 18:10 PM

Never go Conscripts vs OKW, once the volks have stg44 you will lose every engagement unless the volks is on red cover and you're behind green cover lol
27 Feb 2019, 18:58 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2019, 17:08 PMF0XTROT
Trying to learn how to play conscripts rather than penals, having a lot of trouble against okw. What strategies are working for you? 3 vs 4 cons, prioritizing molotovs or flamer engi. Guards or shocks, if any.

One specific thing that gives me a lot of trouble is mechanized into command panther. Puma is so good against t70 and walking stuka counters any team weapon play pretty well. Additionally I feel like early game engagements are difficult to win. If I split up to cap I stand no chance to beat the capping power of kubal combined with effective pushing power of volks and sturms. But grouping them together usually leads to a con getting suppress suppressed by an mg and forcing a retreat.

Any tips or helpful game replays/casts that demonstrate effective use of cons vs okw would be appreciated. Thanks!

Its all about synergies
Cons have to go together with flamer engies (get at least two flamer engies ASAP), later on a sniper or T70 and guards should be backin them up
AT nade is a no-brainer, molotov is situational
Dont fight puma with LVs
You can have troops close enough to support each other, yet split well enough to not get insta supressed all at once
27 Feb 2019, 19:12 PM

Its all about synergies
Cons have to go together with flamer engies (get at least two flamer engies ASAP), later on a sniper or T70

Ahh I never considered double flamer engineers. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

How often do you use a mortar when facing double machine gun, is 120mm worth it? Or should I just rely on flanks or using zis barrage?
27 Feb 2019, 19:23 PM

If you want play through cons, remember one important thing - always use Merge. Merge nonvet squad of cons with vet squad (especially in battle, it will you sligthly better chance to win). You also can use this trick on base sector to speed up proccess of reinforce veterance squads of cons. Only keep eye on numbers of soldiers on nonvet squad to not loose squad when merging.
28 Feb 2019, 05:06 AM

Cons can take Volks STG and Strums with PPsh at close range. Oohrah 10ft from the enemy unit and spray them until they are dead or retreat.

Though nowadays, with Soviet Shock Troops being so strong, there is hardly a reason to have Conscripts with PPsh, when shock troops are better, sans AT snare.
28 Feb 2019, 23:04 PM

Conscripts are generally only viable against OKW if you upgrade them with PPSh's. Otherwise the STG upgrade on Volks allows them to beat Vanilla Cons at pretty much all ranges. I would recommend just going for Penals against OKW and using Cons against Ostheer. Otherwise if you use Cons I would say your best bet is going for 4x Squads of them and trying to rush a T-70 as quickly as you can. Support them with Guards or Shocks and either go for T1 for an M3 Scout Car with a flamer or go for Tier 2 so you have access to the Zis Gun to deal with a Panzer II. Guard Rifle Combined Arms is probably my favorite PPSh Con commander at the moment for this strategy. If you go for Tier 1 you can always backtech for a Zis after getting a T-70. Otherwise if your fuel control is lacking and you aren't able to queue up your T-70 before the 10 minute mark just go for Tier 4 and get a T-34/76 or 85 or a KV-1.
14 Jun 2019, 08:45 AM

I have the same issue against OKW. When I play Conscript I almost have to retreat everytime against StPio and Volks. Shocks come too late and when they are in battle a Luchs is already on the field for the enemy who is blobbing 4-5 Volks plus 1-2 StPio at this time, because he already has a lot of map control since I had to retreat my eaely Cons almost in every engagement. This is what usually happens against OKW.

I hve no problems aginst Ostheer though. but could someone post a helpful build order against OKW please. Is the T1 really essential or ist there any other chance.
Feels like its a devil-circle, when you go Cons because your usual advantage of capping power gets crushed, since you loose the infantry engagements. But what is the difference with Penals? They can not stand close combat with StPios right? How many Penals should I build, or better what kind of strategy would you experienced guys suggest?

PS: I usually use the shock rifle commander
14 Jun 2019, 10:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2019, 08:45 AMBlack
I hve no problems aginst Ostheer though. but could someone post a helpful build order against OKW please. Is the T1 really essential or ist there any other chance.
Feels like its a devil-circle, when you go Cons because your usual advantage of capping power gets crushed, since you loose the infantry engagements. But what is the difference with Penals? They can not stand close combat with StPios right? How many Penals should I build, or better what kind of strategy would you experienced guys suggest?

PS: I usually use the shock rifle commander

With urban defense:

Combat Engineer (get flame thrower asap then put him into the M3, sweeper for other engineer squad can wait) -> Penal -> M3 -> Penal -> Shocks -> T70 -> Shocks. Add in 2 M42 at guns before or after building the T70 depending on your ressource situation. That gives you a good build to counter OKW. Then add in a few Maxims if you want to and stall for KV2. OR if you are winning hard go T4 for Su85 or Katy.

14 Jun 2019, 13:35 PM

With urban defense:

Combat Engineer (get flame thrower asap then put him into the M3, sweeper for other engineer squad can wait) -> Penal -> M3 -> Penal -> Shocks -> T70 -> Shocks. Add in 2 M42 at guns before or after building the T70 depending on your ressource situation. That gives you a good build to counter OKW. Then add in a few Maxims if you want to and stall for KV2. OR if you are winning hard go T4 for Su85 or Katy.

Thx blvckdream, I will try this out! But I think urban defense commander has no shock troops.
So it looks like there is no way around T1 right?
14 Jun 2019, 16:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2019, 13:35 PMBlack

Thx blvckdream, I will try this out! But I think urban defense commander has no shock troops.
So it looks like there is no way around T1 right?

Urban defense has Shocks. It has the foward HQ, shocks, m42 at gun, booby trap and kv2. You don't have to go T1 but you should be aware that anything but the standard penal m3 with flamers build is significantly less effective.
14 Jun 2019, 17:15 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

With urban defense:

Combat Engineer (get flame thrower asap then put him into the M3, sweeper for other engineer squad can wait) -> Penal -> M3 -> Penal -> floating resources here -> Shocks -> T70 -> Shocks. Add in 2 M42 at guns before or after building the T70 depending on your ressource situation. That gives you a good build to counter OKW. Then add in a few Maxims if you want to and stall for KV2. OR if you are winning hard go T4 for Su85 or Katy.

Surely you're floating massive amounts of manpower with that build (during the point that I edited into your post)? I'd imagine youre not even at 1 cp by that point, even with the extra cp from the t1 building itself. Wouldn't it be better to get another penal squad before the shock troop squads? Alternatively, you could go sniper and still not have to worry because you'll have m42s out if you need them.
14 Jun 2019, 17:53 PM

Surely you're floating massive amounts of manpower with that build (during the point that I edited into your post)? I'd imagine youre not even at 1 cp by that point, even with the extra cp from the t1 building itself. Wouldn't it be better to get another penal squad before the shock troop squads? Alternatively, you could go sniper and still not have to worry because you'll have m42s out if you need them.

Not really. If you are aggressive with the M3 you can make it to 2 CP without floating. What I forgot to mention is the medic HQ. I get that after the 2nd Penal.
14 Jun 2019, 18:51 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Not really. If you are aggressive with the M3 you can make it to 2 CP without floating. What I forgot to mention is the medic HQ. I get that after the 2nd Penal.

Makes sense, forgot about that. That said, id probably be careful about getting the shock squad immediately. Luchs/222 bleed could make it hard to get AT out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★