Login

russian armor

Looks like SEGA will sell relic to MS without franchises

5 Mar 2019, 22:15 PM

The discussion was about M$ Store, not win10. Yes, win10 is a pain in the butt, but there are plenty of people who would prefer steam version of the game even though they have win10 already installed. Most cite convinience of having games in one place and M$ Store being generally not very intuitive and useful as their reasons.

The only upside of M$ Store, which is the xbox integration, is pretty much useless for rts players, as many of them don't own any consoles either way.

Being exclusive reduces audience among win10 users as well, even if they don't have to face as many new problems when they decide to get the game either way.

Let me quickly elaborate then:
Steam isn't very welcoming for games that require very specific OS to function, that is why there simply aren't any, maybe except one or two.
MS however enforces use of DX12 for the games they publish to accomplish couple of goals

-first is the traditional, binding you to inferior platform that isn't steam
-second is to push people to upgrade to win10(since that's still free and permanent)
-third is more of a bonus you've mentioned, xbox integration and crossplay for some titles
MS doesn't need or want successful and great games, they want excellent marketing tool to make more people move to win10.

Now, regarding RTS, there is Halo Wars 2, which apparently is pretty good, successful, operates on crossplay and isn't dead yet, don't know, just played a demo and it was alright.
6 Mar 2019, 04:56 AM

Let me quickly elaborate then:
Steam isn't very welcoming for games that require very specific OS to function, that is why there simply aren't any, maybe except one or two.
MS however enforces use of DX12 for the games they publish to accomplish couple of goals

-first is the traditional, binding you to inferior platform that isn't steam
-second is to push people to upgrade to win10(since that's still free and permanent)
-third is more of a bonus you've mentioned, xbox integration and crossplay for some titles
MS doesn't need or want successful and great games, they want excellent marketing tool to make more people move to win10.

Now, regarding RTS, there is Halo Wars 2, which apparently is pretty good, successful, operates on crossplay and isn't dead yet, don't know, just played a demo and it was alright.

The free upgrade/install of Windows 10 shit was for about an year only starting 2016 so I believe it's long gone.
6 Mar 2019, 08:27 AM

Win10 PRO OEM license cost about 10 euros, not free but not super expensive neither.

I don't know what's Microsoft Strategy about their Win10 Store but they already acknowledged that releasing their game exclusively on it is a kind of suicidal on the PC market.
6 Mar 2019, 08:34 AM

The free upgrade/install of Windows 10 shit was for about an year only starting 2016 so I believe it's long gone.

Nope, its still ongoing.
I would know best, I've used it recently.
Its just manual thing now through launcher downloadable on their page, not forced through updates.
6 Mar 2019, 17:23 PM

Nope, its still ongoing.
I would know best, I've used it recently.
Its just manual thing now through launcher downloadable on their page, not forced through updates.

Weird, I got a bootable USB flash drive with Win10 and it didn't want to activate when I installed it a few weeks ago.
6 Mar 2019, 20:39 PM

Weird, I got a bootable USB flash drive with Win10 and it didn't want to activate when I installed it a few weeks ago.

I've got one with win10 home as well, despite my hardest tries it didn't allowed me to upgrade my win7 to that with preserving files, so I did what it wanted me to do(aka install win10 pro) and it did it automatically, for free, generating extra key for that version on the spot.

And believe me, I have tried hard to avoid that, both booting installation from my own flash drive and even downloading MS launcher for the win10 upgrade app, both same results, free win10 upgrade.

Then again, its UPGRADE, so you need to have windows already installed for it to work, fresh install is paid.
6 Mar 2019, 21:36 PM

I've got one with win10 home as well, despite my hardest tries it didn't allowed me to upgrade my win7 to that with preserving files, so I did what it wanted me to do(aka install win10 pro) and it did it automatically, for free, generating extra key for that version on the spot.

And believe me, I have tried hard to avoid that, both booting installation from my own flash drive and even downloading MS launcher for the win10 upgrade app, both same results, free win10 upgrade.

Then again, its UPGRADE, so you need to have windows already installed for it to work, fresh install is paid.

Yeah it was a fresh install, old Win 7 on the hard drive was kaputt.
19 Apr 2019, 12:19 PM
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2019, 00:26 AMValeran
Quick Take
Let’s just say that this rumor becomes reality. I think it will be very interested to see what the future has in store for Relic. My guess would be that the company becomes a studio dedicated to the Age of Empires franchise, especially if this other tweet by Klobrille is true. It’s already an extremely popular IP and they are developing the fourth game in the series. Relic’s developers are also veterans of the genre, having created quite a few excellent and extremely popular RTS titles. I know that I’m very excited to see what Age of Empires 4 has in store, and with Relic at the helm that’s even better.
So, looks like no coh 3 anymore guys.

CoH3 leadership?
The majority of CoH2 leads and veterans have either left or working on AoE4.
I'll post an updated list within a week or so.
CoH3 will either be delayed until they finish AoE4 or created by new team leads.
Blackbird Interactive is rumored to be working with MS as well and they have many Relic vets.
I have more consumer confidence in BBI's leadership than Relic. BBI seems to have no trouble attracting top talent so they are expanding without the same growing pains as Relic.

The radio silence from CoH+AoE teams seems to suggest MS and Sega have been in contract negotiation for several months. We can expect big news after E3 this year or Gamescom at the latest. It fits in with AoE2's 20th anniversary.

Based on recent Relic job listings (see below), Sega is gearing up to publish at least one more Relic IP.
It's possible Relic will be sold to MS without the CoH IP, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in terms of marketing. MS and Sega America has stronger ties to EA marketing than Sega Europe/Sega Japan.

CoH2 & EA marketing
EA business models with gaming as a service (gaas) and loot boxes was the inspiration for CoH2's five-year plan . This was later canceled to focus on cosmetics only.
The CoH2 marketing team used consultants from “your digitallife” (now defunct) with very close ties to EA.
Quote yourdigitallife; "Behind the scenes at World War 2 event we put together for Company of Heroes 2."
https://www.instagram.com/p/b0gmOXkaH4/ (Darin Perfonic had rejoined EA at this time)
Darin Perfonic, co-founder yourdigitallife
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darinperfonic/ (EA marketing to this day)
James McDermott, founder
https://www.linkedin.com/in/james-mcdermott-29603716/ (former Relic marketing & EA)

Report: This Video Gives a Very Good Case That Loot Boxes & Microtransactions at EA Was Started by Andrew Wilson
https://mp1st.com/news/ea-pay-to-win-business-model-originated-from-ea-ceo-andrew-wilson

Company of Heroes 2: War Spoils Skydive Event, 2014

Anyone that think Relic would implement this loot drop system for "free DLC" really need to understand the EA business model from sport franchises such as FIFA (also core inspiration for Starwars Battlefront 2 & several Bioware games).
Unfortunately for Relic/Sega money suits, the CoH2 loot drop system with "rare commanders" was so broken that it was never fully implemented with the in-game shop. Good riddance.

Who will save Relic from themselves?
MS money alone can’t save Relic nor CoH3. If this studio flops with AoE4, the talent bleed will kill this studio inside out. AoE4 is a "make or break" for Relic.
Whatever happens to Relic, I'm 99% sure the AoE+CoH IP will continue with or without Relic. Sega/MS are both decent publishers that will use those two IPs to corner the RTS market.
Except for mobile, Blizzard (owned by Activision since 2013) and EA RTS is RIP.

For future reference I achieved the two jobs below:
INTERNAL BRAND MANAGER:
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/744038
http://archive.ph/YTK3Y
*SNIP*
Do you believe that marketing for games is not only about creating hype for products but also providing the design team with critical player-driven insights?
Lead the strategic brand management of our titles from inception through to live operations to long-term brand health & consumer engagement
Make sound business recommendations to the Executive Producer and the SEGA publishing group to enhance agreed marketing programs
Guide SEGA’s media briefing and planning process through close collaboration with SEGA’s Marketing team
And this job seems related to new studio leader/executive producer (3 total). Unless someone is leaving, Relic is working on 3 games, very risky IMHO.

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER:
https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/1651424
http://archive.ph/V4u6f
Live and breathe Relic’s “Player First” development philosophy, collaborating with players to create world-class strategy games
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★