Login

russian armor

Recon Buffs

21 Jan 2019, 12:53 PM

The recent Greyhound thread got me thinking about Recon Company, and it's not that far off being a solid commander.

Its main problem is everything in it needs munitions to function. Raid Tactics and Cluster Bombs are munitions abilities, I&R Pathfinders' main strength is their expensive artillery call-in, Airdropped Combat Group needs 80 munitions just to deploy and then another 100-odd munitions to upgrade the Paratroopers, and the Greyhound needs its .50 cal and Canister Shot to do its job.

So here's what I've got.

• Raid Tactics
    • This ability is one of the awkward frankenabilities DBP made when the DBP's design team refused to remove anything. That philosophy gave us old Mechanized, the only commander to get a second revamp.

The solution's pretty simple: turn it into a normal Raid ability. It gives light vehicles passive capping like the WC51 and Kubel. Push it up to CP5 so that doesn't translate into a ton of easy map control early on.

• I&R Pathfinders
    • Move them to CP0. If Pathfinders are okay at CP0, the weaker I&R Pathfinders probably are too.

• Airdropped Combat Group
    • Remove the munitions cost and AT gun drop. Maybe just replace it with the normal Airborne call-in. The bundled AT gun is more a restriction than a godsend with the new USF tech structure.

Possibly add the Airborne AT package to normal Airborne as a third upgrade path. It's not like it gets picked much anyway.

• M8 Greyhound
    • Pretty much everything about this unit works but the timing. With its low gun damage, it's no more spammable than the Luchs and the need to upgrade its .50 cal to function properly serves as a second soft limiter on how many you can build. However, at CP5 it's competing with the Sherman, a contest it won't win.

Solution? Tie it to tech. If two unlocks is too fast for the USF Luchs, make it two officers.
21 Jan 2019, 13:00 PM
21 Jan 2019, 13:12 PM

That's for new commanders.

Recon Support Company is an existing commander.
21 Jan 2019, 13:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2019, 12:53 PMLago
  • I&R Pathfinders
    • Move them to CP0. If Pathfinders are okay at CP0, the weaker I&R Pathfinders probably are too.

Just FYI, at 0 CP the I&R Pathfinders are actually stronger than the regular Pathfinders because they have 3x elite carbines rather than 2x. In the first 5 minutes they can not be countered by Grens and Volks at close range, unlike regular PF who have worse near range DPS because of the 2x snipers and will lose to charging Grens (and usually Volks). IRPF win versus unupgraded Grenadiers at all ranges.

They could be at 0 CP, but with a long cooldown so USF couldn't open with more than 1 of them.
21 Jan 2019, 13:35 PM

I'll have to run some tests on that. If so, using the Cav Rifle structure (two Rifles into two IR Paths at CP1) might be an interesting strategy.
21 Jan 2019, 19:58 PM

I like these most of these suggestions. The at gun bundle is actually one of the good things about commander though IMO. It's pretty cost efficient and lets you go LT if you so choose (although this is a bit more of a moot point because of the revamp, but still somewhat nice). A slight cost reduction on muni (50-60 instead of 80) and moving more of it to manpower (360-370 instead of 325) would be another option I think. Although just removing the at gun and muni cost would make it easier to call in paras, which is also good. I think it could definitely use a CP reduction to 3 though, since 4 is much too late to fit it into a build in a useful manner a lot of times.

Just FYI, at 0 CP the I&R Pathfinders are actually stronger than the regular Pathfinders because they have 3x elite carbines rather than 2x. In the first 5 minutes they can not be countered by Grens and Volks at close range, unlike regular PF who have worse near range DPS because of the 2x snipers and will lose to charging Grens (and usually Volks). IRPF win versus unupgraded Grenadiers at all ranges.

They could be at 0 CP, but with a long cooldown so USF couldn't open with more than 1 of them.

That's a great idea. Building more than one is shooting yourself in the foot anyway but that would defintely cut down on posible cheese.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★