Login

russian armor

help - need help with map debugging

13 Jan 2019, 20:01 PM

i tried with all SOV ,it loads, starts, it always crashes into 1min20sec with "Application closed with error code 1129468744" bugsplat

somehow it loads with usf too but then 1m20s

im checking the spawns emplacements in WB they all have plenty space around them but i try to wide it even more

im shocked that it worked with that setting over 2 min for you , i must try that too , ill respond in a bit brb

I think I was wrong. If I play as these factions I get:
USF - Crash before load finishes.
SOV - Plays about 1:20
BRIT - I can play over 2:00 and have not crashed yet.
OKW -
OST -

It seems to be what faction I play not the AI units. Still testing.

I agree that your base area seems large enough.
13 Jan 2019, 20:04 PM

wow i just tested all SOV vs OKW and its going over 3 mins !!!

but, i have strange anomalies, buildings will not complete construction and crater render under thenwhen they dissapear, .. . . . also reinforcemtnts im getting 1 person 6 squad which is weird. . . .

i try to put the spawn not on any cobblestone and wide it too .
also, its mandatory to have 4 entry points per 4 players ?
if i place entry point beyond playble ara will the troops walk out of it ?
13 Jan 2019, 20:08 PM

wtf my troops are now invisible :o so weird !!!!

but sir, u stumbled upon something thank you ! with your observations i have better chance to fix this magnificent map
13 Jan 2019, 20:11 PM

it crashed 5 min into the game
13 Jan 2019, 20:20 PM

I have not tested this fully but I can play as OST and OKW. However, like you said, certain units are missing and/or invisible.

OKW I can make Sturms fine. But the Volks entered with only 1 model :P And Kubels are just invisible and cant be used at all.

OST I made 4 engrs all good. MG came out invisible and cant be used.

I really feel the map is just too big. You should get a job for Relic in the quality dept. This map breaks all of the generic rules someone on this site would ever try to make.
1) HUGE map.
2) Snaking, hard to navigate pathing.
3) Multiple water sources.
4) Multiple bridges connected to each other.
5) Massive level changes.

None of these are bad exactly. Just not something that would be used in a competitive map meant for automatch play. So you are in uncharted territory for most mappers here.

I would almost suggest making a STAMP of this map and pasting it onto a smaller map. But it will be some work and it still may do weird things. Last resort.
13 Jan 2019, 20:27 PM

yeah exactly i agree :--D
13 Jan 2019, 22:25 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

How many objects?
13 Jan 2019, 23:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2019, 22:25 PMTric
How many objects?

6283 sir
14 Jan 2019, 02:54 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

6283 sir

Thats your problem. Even the largest 4v4 maps struggle to break 3k.
14 Jan 2019, 13:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 02:54 AMTric

Thats your problem. Even the largest 4v4 maps struggle to break 3k.

yeah i was suspecting something like that, so if i replace some trees (objects) for spline-objects, will that help ???
14 Jan 2019, 18:42 PM

or how can i optimize this map even better ??? i really wish to see this map be fully playable
14 Jan 2019, 20:02 PM

6283 sir

This seems like an odd number to max out on objects. But the theory makes some sense.

USF base is very complicated and may be made up of many objects, therefore the map crashes immediately. Because you have exceeded some imaginary line. Simpler armies may be able to load ab play a bit before the model count exceeds the imaginary line. Whether that line is Video Card memory or what is another question. Since people have differing amounts of RAM it should play for some and not others. But we both seem to be getting the same results. I currently have 8 GB of videocard memory and 8 GB of PC memory.

Another thing I did not look at is:
It is normally good practice to not use buildings from more than one building set. Are you using buildings from for example Industrial and Rural building sets?
14 Jan 2019, 20:14 PM

I just looked at the map and there are buildings from at least 4 different building sets.

note #1: on my edited version I only have 5600 objects since I deleted a bunch making land bridges to test pathing.

Note #2: The map has a memory footprint of about 1GB in the worldbuilder.
14 Jan 2019, 20:44 PM

oh yeah i used anything i liked from every corner of sets, my map have it all lol . . . what u mean by "bunch making land bridges" ? i was experimeting with bridges 1st time i think i have just 5 of them. is it functioonal if they just stick on each shores , or are there some additional options to it ? . . . so du u reccomend me to bring down the number of objects to 3000 ???
14 Jan 2019, 21:07 PM

oh yeah i used anything i liked from every corner of sets, my map have it all lol . . . what u mean by "bunch making land bridges" ? i was experimeting with bridges 1st time i think i have just 5 of them. is it functioonal if they just stick on each shores , or are there some additional options to it ?

To see if the problem was pathing related, I connected each bend of the map using normal terrain height adjust. Usually those new paths were blocked by objects so I deleted a bunch of objects to clear the way.

. . . so du u reccomend me to bring down the number of objects to 3000 ???

Like I said earlier, you are in uncharted terrain :) I would start by going into the blueprint list and deleting all of the buildings from one of the building sets and then test. See if it makes a difference.

I think most of the knowledge about mapping is from trial and error testing. There is not an official RELIC document with guidelines? There may have been knowledge passed down from Relic devs etc in the past.

Some of the myths/legends/facts gathered thru the ages are:
- Multiple water sources require multiple draws of the map for reflections and could slow your FPS.
- Multiple building sets is bad because it is believed Relic loads the entire set into memory. So having four sets is similar to loading two or three maps into memory at once.

These may be true. If so, I would start with the building removal. If not, it will make no difference.
14 Jan 2019, 23:40 PM

i started with removal of trees on hills , so far around 1500. and map works fine so far, but the fps is terrible sometimes 1fps lol
15 Jan 2019, 10:45 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

i started with removal of trees on hills , so far around 1500. and map works fine so far, but the fps is terrible sometimes 1fps lol

More than 4 water resources = lag
2 is the recommend maximum amount.

1 building set should be used so the map doesn't lag horrifically, especially true in larger maps.

There is a soft limit on the amount of objects a map can use, but it is so rare that this happens, that I have forgotten it, however is it the common mistake of new mappers, just like water sources.
15 Jan 2019, 14:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2019, 10:45 AMTric

More than 4 water resources = lag
2 is the recommend maximum amount.

1 building set should be used so the map doesn't lag horrifically, especially true in larger maps.

There is a soft limit on the amount of objects a map can use, but it is so rare that this happens, that I have forgotten it, however is it the common mistake of new mappers, just like water sources.

oh yeah thanks, true dat , lets hope that coh3 will able to handle much more traffic and sizes . i used to do half-life 1 maps back in 2005 but this creation kit is much more relaxing and transparent. tho plenty unwritten rules and limitations about mapping are everywhere. u can link some useful info if u know about something that i should read about (especially what not to do), i would love to see some of that. my next map will be something similar but i think i just use 500x500 mapsize or maybe even less. 2x water sources and 1 or 2 building sets, but some of the sets from various missions have also perfect objects and cars that i like to use. gotta find that perfect balance.
15 Jan 2019, 20:20 PM

is there way to copy parts of map or some parcels with objects, to another new project ?
16 Jan 2019, 02:01 AM
Master Mapmaker Badge

is there way to copy parts of map or some parcels with objects, to another new project ?

Yes the stamp tool. But it is wonky.

If you ever want real life examples or a short how-to/how-not-to you can always ask me when I'm mapping on stream.

Also the hammer editor is awful, horrendous mess. ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★