Login

russian armor

Panzer Elite Inspired OKW Tech Structure

2 Jan 2019, 21:13 PM

I wrote this for the OKW rework thread, but it's somewhat too extensive to be something Relic would ever consider for an overhaul.

Nevertheless, I thought it was neat and pretty different to how other CoH 2 factions work, so I decided to post it as its own thread to see what people think. It might make an interesting mod or something.

General
  • Starting fuel from 5 to 20.
  • Volksgrenadier Panzerfausts and StGs now require Mobilize Light Armor Divisions.
  • Obersoldaten LMG34 now requires Mobilize Heavy Armor Divisions.
  • Sturmpioneer Panzershreck removed.
  • Goliath removed from Overwatch Doctrine.
  • Special Operations Flares replaced with IR Halftrack.

SwS Halftrack
  • Price from 100 MP 15 FU to 200 MP 30 FU.
  • Convert to Battlegroup Headquarters no longer costs resources.
  • Convert to Mechanized Headquarters no longer costs resources.
  • Convert to Schwerer Panzer Headquarters no longer costs resources, and is no longer locked behind another truck.

Headquarters
Units:
  • Sturmpioneer Squad
  • Volksgrenadier Squad
  • Kubelwagen
  • Raketenwerfer
Upgrades:
  • Mobilize Light Armor Divisions
    • 100 MP, 45 FU, requires one truck set up)
    • Unlocks blue units and upgrades.
  • Mobilize Heavy Armor Divisions
    • 100 MP, 105 FU, requires two trucks set up)
    • Unlocks red units and upgrades.
    • This tech is a prerequisite for unlocking the King Tiger.

Battlegroup Headquarters
Units:
  • Panzerjager Light Infantry
    • 4 man squad armed with light Panzerbusche AT rifles that damage both infantry and light vehicles. with performance similar to Tank Hunter Infantry sections.
    • Can upgrade, replacing the Panzerbusches with Panzerschrecks, sacrificing their AI capability entirely for better AT performance.

• le.IG 18 Infantry Support Gun
  • Flak Halftrack
  • Jagdpanzer IV

Mechanzied Headquarters
Units:
  • Obersoldaten
  • Stuka zu Fuss
  • Puma Armored Car
  • Panzer IV

Schwerer Panzer Headquarters
Units:
  • HMG34 Heavy Machine Gun
  • Goliath
  • Panzer II Luchs
  • Panther
Upgrades:
  • Calibrate Flak Gun
    • 100 MP, 15 FU
    • Enables the gun on the SPHQ.
    • Now performs like an OKW Flak Halftrack/Flak Emplacement.
    • This is now a much lower investment weapon: less powerful, but much less costly to replace.

The idea is the trucks themselves are relatively cheap: 200 MP, 20 FU each, and each has some basic units in it. You can set a truck up pretty fast, so you're not forced to build more than two units from the HQ building. Sideteching is not ideal but is doable, like Soviet and new USF.

The new Panzerjager squad frees Sturmpioneers from the AT role. They're like Tank Hunter Sections early on and should have the AI firepower of a 4 man Volksgrenadier squad. This gives them a use early on when there aren't many vehicles about, then they can upgrade to full AT squads later on.

Teching speeds to medium armor should be the same as a Mechanized build with the live version of OKW.
2 Jan 2019, 21:26 PM

wow, amazing idea, it looks pretty consistent. I really like it. Although it must be revised if that much versatility will make OKM OP.
2 Jan 2019, 21:32 PM

If you want to make a third truck a more painful investment, you can shift fuel from Mobilize Armor Divisions to the trucks, and increase starting fuel by the same amount.

For example:

Starting fuel from 10 FU to 30 FU.
SwS truck to from 20 FU to 40 FU.
Mobilize Armor Divisions from 115 FU to 95 FU.

That preserves the teching speeds, but makes building a third truck/rebuilding a lost truck cost 40 FU instead of 20 FU. It's quite a flexible balancing dial.

I'm actually going to tweak the truck cost up to 30. That feels about right to replace a lost truck. Still less than live, but you can't just throw them away.
2 Jan 2019, 21:37 PM

Considering the fact that USF got that kind of teching now, the chances to mirror teching of 2 factions together is rather non existent.
2 Jan 2019, 21:41 PM

Considering the fact that USF got that kind of teching now, the chances to mirror teching of 2 factions together is rather non existent.

USF has its T1 and T2 split in half with T3 remaining as a final armor tier, which is probably what'll actually happen to OKW if it gets any changes.

This way has T1, T2 and T3 all buildable from the get go, with Battle Phase-like upgrades that unlock the units left to right. It's loosely similar to how CoH 1 Panzer Elite worked.
2 Jan 2019, 22:15 PM

I don't agree with the HQ cost revision.

You are encouraging OKW player to build their HQs behind the nose of the Allies players by removing the cost of OKW HQs.

The high cost of the OKW HQs will force the OKW player weigh between gain and risk to put their HQs at front. Now you completely destroy it by those free HQs.
2 Jan 2019, 22:17 PM

I don't agree with the HQ cost revision.

You are encouraging OKW player to build their HQs behind the nose of the Allies players by removing the cost of OKW HQs.

The high cost of the OKW HQs will force the OKW player weigh between gain and risk to put their HQs at front. Now you completely destroy it by those free HQs.

The HQs aren't free. Their cost is shifted to the truck itself.
2 Jan 2019, 22:21 PM

Katitof has a solid point, i dont think devs would consider another upgrade tech faction. But OP i like the way you though outside the box. This kind of ideas keep the game fresh and enjoyable to a point.
2 Jan 2019, 22:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jan 2019, 22:17 PMLago

The HQs aren't free. Their cost is shifted to the truck itself.

Now:
Medical HQ require a truck (100MP, 15Fuel) and a upgrade (200MP,25Fuel)
Mechanical HQ require a truck (100MP, 15Fuel) and a upgrade (200MP,45Fuel)
Schwerer Panzer HQ require a truck (100MP, 15Fuel) and a upgrade (200MP,120Fuel)

Are they cheaper or more expensive by your design? You design means that a OKW player did not get punished by a destroyed HQ, they just lose the cost of truck (200MP, 30Fuel).
2 Jan 2019, 22:51 PM

Cheaper. Not free.

The ideal point IMO is pricing them so losing a truck hurts, but isn't such a crippling blow that they end up just being built in the base sector.
2 Jan 2019, 23:05 PM

Are they cheaper or more expensive by your design? You design means that a OKW player did not get punished by a destroyed HQ, they just lose the cost of truck (200MP, 30Fuel).

You still get punished quite hard since you lost a production facility, unlike UKF ones or USF ambulances.
The resource "punish" idea is rather a bad design, because of that the faction cant use at all its advantage to place in map buildings, it also suffers a lot from the resource and map control, its like UKF got punished for building emplacements or SU get punished after getting more than 2 conscripts/penals squads.
2 Jan 2019, 23:07 PM

If the design of faction have more powerful tools but having limited access to them has been removed from the USF because "it does not work", it should also be removed from OKW for the same reason.
3 Jan 2019, 12:21 PM

Swapped the first two units of Mechanized and Schwerer over to make the unit selections a little better rounded. Early Obersoldaten are now paired with the Puma instead of the Luchs.
3 Jan 2019, 12:52 PM

Looks solide, but why should Volks get their abilities even later than current?

The fire-grenade would arrive way too late.

And the faust is an essential tool versus M3 and carriers, it shouldn't be relevant which truck you picked.
3 Jan 2019, 13:21 PM

Looks solide, but why should Volks get their abilities even later than current?

The fire-grenade would arrive way too late.

And the faust is an essential tool versus M3 and carriers, it shouldn't be relevant which truck you picked.

The flame grenade is from an older draft before I increased the cost of the trucks. I'll delete that.

'Mobilize Mechanized Divisions' is a global upgrade from the HQ which unlocks light armor. Panzerfausts are locked behind it to preserve their current timing. I can see how that name would be confusing, so I'll rename it.
3 Jan 2019, 15:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2019, 13:21 PMLago

The flame grenade is from an older draft before I increased the cost of the trucks. I'll delete that.

'Mobilize Mechanized Divisions' is a global upgrade from the HQ which unlocks light armor. Panzerfausts are locked behind it to preserve their current timing. I can see how that name would be confusing, so I'll rename it.

Oh, then it is good! xD
3 Jan 2019, 22:56 PM

Looks solid, would definetly like to see it being tested at least.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★