Login

russian armor

Question about AI using artillery

2 Jan 2019, 17:32 PM

I have been trying to fix the AI in which most of the times when they build an arty piece (lefh or ml20) they don't even bother to fire it once and I have been wondering if it is possible for them to build one most of the times if possible for them considering the commander.

I also wonder if it is possible to prevent them from send their mobile arty (panzerwerfer, katy, priest and sexton) to the front line.

Thanks for any reply. :)
2 Jan 2019, 23:51 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You would have to add an entry for the barrage ability in the ai_ability attribs. I think relic didn't bother to add that themselves, so thats why the ai can only use some of the barrage abilities (mortars and maybe the panzerwerfer in my experience). To get it to work, clone the stats of a commander artillery barrage ability onto the new entry.
3 Jan 2019, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the reply and upon checking out, barrage abilities for both lefh and ml20 was already been there ever since. I tried tweaking the priority of the entry and still if an AI build one it is still doing nothing.

3 Jan 2019, 16:12 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Oh, its if the AI actually builds the artillery piece itself? For that, you would have to set the priority/utility of the squad in the economy group.
4 Jan 2019, 01:27 AM

Thanks mate i'll try it. :)

Edit: After several trial games, the AI is now building ML20 frequently, although it doesn't use its barrage ability when its newly built but when its de-crewed and re-crewed again by another AI or the AI that built it, it now uses its barrage ability. o_O
4 Jan 2019, 08:00 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I had that exact same issue, they only use it correctly after re-crewing. My theory is that the AI doesn't recognize the howitzer as a squad, but as a structure. While after re-crewing it becomes a team-weapon.

Apparently the AI won't use abilities on structures? Does anyone know an ability in a structure which is used by the AI? then we could use that as an example.
4 Jan 2019, 09:50 AM
Master Modmaker Badge

The only ability that is in a building that I can think of is the Russian forward HQs "Rally Defence" but I don't know if AI uses that.

For the usage of the artillery, I would try making a new ability that would be seen only by AI and would be located between the commander abilities. Maybe then the AI will see it and use it.
4 Jan 2019, 21:37 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I can think of a way to fix this through the ai scripts, similar to CoH1, but CoH2 removed those sometime in 2014 I think. I think you might be out of luck, sadly.
5 Jan 2019, 11:43 AM

That is unfortunate but then thanks for all the reply. :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 37
unknown 26
Mexico 16
Germany 899

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %