Login

russian armor

Why do 5 man grens get an RA bonus?

23 Dec 2018, 18:03 PM

Title says it all. Why do they get another man, AND they become harder to hit?

Maybe it's not a matter of balance, but I am having trouble countering blobs of these even when I have stronger firepower. Everything just seems to miss too much, especially late game when they are vet 3.
23 Dec 2018, 19:11 PM

To balance the value to the LMG42, presumably.
23 Dec 2018, 19:23 PM

If they didn't get some bonuses than the MG42 upgrade would be better 90% of the time.
23 Dec 2018, 19:39 PM

If they didn't get some bonuses than the MG42 upgrade would be better 90% of the time.

Oh of course. I didn't say they're shouldn't be other bonuses, just the Received Accuracy doesn't make sense to me.

I can see it on mp40 volks, because they are becoming a cqc squad and have a size of 1 by default. Grens already start at .91, and you're giving them an extra man.

If I'm wrong about this being too much, then I would love some advice on how to stop these blobs. Cant use MGs cause they just get rifle-naded away. Counter blobbing costs me more.
23 Dec 2018, 19:46 PM

Oh of course. I didn't say they're shouldn't be other bonuses, just the Received Accuracy doesn't make sense to me.

I can see it on mp40 volks, because they are becoming a cqc squad and have a size of 1 by default. Grens already start at .91, and you're giving them an extra man.

If I'm wrong about this being too much, then I would love some advice on how to stop these blobs. Cant use MGs cause they just get rifle-naded away. Counter blobbing costs me more.

AA Half-Track? I use it a lot while countering late game infantry section.
23 Dec 2018, 20:24 PM

Grenades, rocket arty, and vehicle based explosive shells (like HE Shermans, scotts, t34/85s and comets/Churchills, heavy tanks etc.). They’re still 30 per man to reinforce and you don’t have to suppress them if they’re dead. Grenades are pretty hard to dodge with an entire blob, especially if you throw a couple and try to overtax his micro.
23 Dec 2018, 20:57 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

The general thinking was that we wanted the 5 man upgrade to be something other than just another "pay munis to kill stuff better" upgrade. Of course, the free medkits were another step in that direction.

While you could argue the extra model already meets these requirements, the extra model alone would never be able to match the power/attractiveness of the mg42 upgrade (as others have said, it just wouldnt be worth it).

The final point at the top of my head is cost efficiency per model. The mg42 and all other weapon upgrades in the game increase the (average) cost efficiency of each model in the squad. Grens are the most expensive mainlines to reinforce per model. We needed a solution that kept per model performance high enough when compared to other upgunned/upgraded mainlines. Essentially, the enhanced durability (and cooldown bonuses) per model were also an effort to keep the per model cost efficiency of 5 man grens in line.

Edit: Most other solutions that keep their cost efficiency in line involve offensive upgrades, and as stated before, we wanted an upgrade that really emphasized something except raw killing power. As for why they get cooldown bonuses given what I just said, they at least needed some offensive boost to accompany this to avoid becoming like cons.
25 Dec 2018, 00:24 AM

Grenades, rocket arty, and vehicle based explosive shells (like HE Shermans, scotts, t34/85s and comets/Churchills, heavy tanks etc.). They’re still 30 per man to reinforce and you don’t have to suppress them if they’re dead. Grenades are pretty hard to dodge with an entire blob, especially if you throw a couple and try to overtax his micro.

Yeah okay I hadn't considered the 30mp reinforcement for 5 man squads. Maybe I'm being too aggressive against the blob and should try to win the attrition battle a little more
25 Dec 2018, 17:27 PM

if youre using sov... use snipers to pick em off and barrage to deal damage before closing with penals... guards and shocks kill them nicely aswell...

if youre using USF use HE artillery + smoke + grenades to close in and use double bar rifles to exterminate them... assault engie flamers and cav rifles are amazing against them aswell...

if youre using UKF... irdk... the UKF sniper is very slow.... UKF doesnt get nondoc arty... IS + brens dont have the same close range firepower as rifles... uhh churchill spam
25 Dec 2018, 17:33 PM

New Reply on Why do 5 man grens get an RA bonus?

Why does the vickers get a range bonus
25 Dec 2018, 18:23 PM

Well, one IS a VETERAN bonus earned by leveling up the unit, the other is a PURCHASED bonus that greatly increases durability. Figure it out and get back to us pal.
25 Dec 2018, 18:29 PM

I'd answer if this wasn't a completely off-topic and useless reply.
26 Dec 2018, 15:10 PM

Because volks can still just waltz up to it and flamenade it since it has garbage suppression and can barely do its job.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★