Login

russian armor

How to stop soviet T1?

25 Oct 2018, 17:24 PM

Three games in a row now i've been owned by the fast soviet scoutcar filled with penals or flamethrower engineers. How do i deal with it? I build 3 volks and try to throw down my T1 as fast as possible to get fausts but usually the scoutcar wreak havoc with me for a few minutes. I get on the backfoot or lose a few squads and it's all a downhill battle from there.

I have tried building Volks Volks Raketen but the Raketen feels easy to flank and i just have to retreat it.
25 Oct 2018, 20:46 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Blob or try for the rak and pray it works. Rak fails you lose the game. What a fun and balanced matchup.
25 Oct 2018, 21:59 PM
Donator 11

Mines are cheaper and more reliable than raketens. What is more soviet t1 players usually dump all of their early muni in flamer, so you can build 3 mines before they can get a sweeper.
26 Oct 2018, 05:21 AM

Mines are cheaper and more reliable than raketens. What is more soviet t1 players usually dump all of their early muni in flamer, so you can build 3 mines before they can get a sweeper.

To be honest i haven't considered mines but it might be a good thing to try. Perhaps go Volk Volk Raketen and lay down a couple of mines to protect the flanks of the raketen. I just need to get better at mine placement.
26 Oct 2018, 07:52 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

To be honest i haven't considered mines but it might be a good thing to try. Perhaps go Volk Volk Raketen and lay down a couple of mines to protect the flanks of the raketen. I just need to get better at mine placement.

Mines are honestly hit or miss. You give up your sturms valuable time, have to spend muni, and with the m3 having 50 range, theres a fair chance it gets spotted out while being placed. Honestly, a regular m3 has around 3 minutes before you get fausts, and a flamer m3 has around 2. Usually just minimizing losses and keeping your resource gain up as much as possible so that you can get a light vehicle out works the best.
26 Oct 2018, 18:14 PM

Man it happened again. I have a -8 streak against Soviet T1. Dropped from 504 to 800+ on the ladder. I am tilted as hell. Just trying to survive the early game but i always lose too much map control to the scout car-penal spam. Life as OKW is hard.
26 Oct 2018, 20:49 PM

You need to abuse OKWs strong points and not stray too far from the meta. You can't use volks in 1v1 matchups against allied infantry. They get run over especially against penals early.

A replay would be good if you're seeking more help.

If you hold out a bit for the new commander revamp it looks like JLI might turn into seal clubs a bit, of course there are many other things that will/can do this as well based on current mod status.
26 Oct 2018, 20:53 PM

You need to abuse OKWs strong points and not stray too far from the meta. You can't use volks in 1v1 matchups against allied infantry. They get run over especially against penals early.

A replay would be good if you're seeking more help.

If you hold out a bit for the new commander revamp it looks like JLI might turn into seal clubs a bit, of course there are many other things that will/can do this as well based on current mod status.

I can't use volks? What do you mean? Should i play without infantry until i can call in fallshirms or fusiliers or wait to build obers? Spam raketen and kubels? I have no idea what OKW meta is to be honest.
26 Oct 2018, 21:43 PM

I can't use volks? What do you mean? Should i play without infantry until i can call in fallshirms or fusiliers or wait to build obers? Spam raketen and kubels? I have no idea what OKW meta is to be honest.

No you NEED to use volks, but don't fight engagements you can't win. Volks lose to penals in most engagements unless they outnumber the penals. So if you have 1 penal vs 1 volk, you should probably abandon the engagement unless you have superior cover.

Common build order from OKW is:

Volk -> Kubel -> Volk -> Volk -> Tech/Volk OR
Kubel -> Volk x3/x4 -> Tech

Sometimes the map doesn't allow for good kubel usage and you skip the kubel.
Raketens are also worked in there sometimes when an M3 shows up.

OKW metagame is very aggressive. Starting sturmpioneer is the key to your success. You need to make use of the unit more than just capping and need to fight with it. Key garrisons, heavy cover, cutoffs, choke points, deep points you can hide behind sight blockers. You need to get your sturms deep into your opponets "half" of the map and make him afraid to push points without an overwhelming force. Use your volks to backup your sturms, and then let the kubel cap your territory.

If you see he goes T1 as soviets you can expect an M3 probably. You don't have to go raketen but if you have the resources and at least 3 volks fielded you CAN. 4 volks is common currently, and you can plant mines with pioneers on hotspots. If you feel the M3 is coming you can have the kubel take territory near your sturms and volks to try and kill the M3 before it kills your kubel. A lot of players tend to just back the kubel away when they see the M3 but understand that the kubel can deal some decent damage vs the M3. The M3 will always win a 1v1 vs the kubel, but if you focus fire it with volks and sturms a lot of times you can trade out or even destroy the M3 before it gets the kubel.

Mech truck is currently favored with OKW into luchs sometimes coupled with a puma. The luchs allows you to keep your aggressive playstyle and try and keep your opponet off as much territory as possible. The puma is more just to push back the inevitable T70 that shows up in 98% of high level soviet games. If your Soviet opponet knows what the T70 can do, he will get one. If you don't go puma I would highly recommend 2x raketens. 1 is risking a lot, 2 is much more safe against a t70. If he has guards you need to try and beat them with overwhelming numbers and superior flanks. Guards are great at what they do and they're anti everything. You're not going to win 1v1 engagements vs a lone volks squad. Obers, multiple volks, a luchs can push them around a bit. Just be careful with vehicles as their DP28s can snag vehicles if they get to close inhibiting their movement. You can remove the snare by pushing the guard squad or moving out of range. If they catch you at mid range with button you're introuble. Their "Hit the Dirt" vet ability also gives them bonus Rate of Fire, so watch for that.

If you make it to lategame the OKW p4 is your bread and butter. A fantastic medium generalist but understanding what it can and cannot do will help a lot. If your opponet is getting T34/76s, the P4 will do great. T34/85s I highly recommend a panther. The 34/85s will out trade your P4 most of the time. The have better penetration as well as higher HP than you. This is why the panther does well vs them. For what the panther lacks in anti-infantry it makes up for in its ability to brawl with other tanks. It has high penetration, armor and a very sizeable HP pool that can run over your opponets armor if they overextend. Just be careful not to overextend with your panther. Su85s will have no problem taking shots out of the panthers range and penetrating.

A word of advice for OKW, do not ever go KT. It currently sits more as a noob trap for players who like "big heavy tanks". You'll get far more DPS and mobility out of 2x p4s, or a P4 and a panther.

Also understand your opponet as well. Understand that t70 that shows up in 98% of games shows up because it has good AI and decent AT vs some units, but with vet2 and vet 3 has outrageous sight range. We're talking cross map sight range with recon mode enabled. Consider yourself doing very well in the game if you can snag that kill, just don't lose your army for it, especially your raketens. 6 man soviet raketens are very frightening.
26 Oct 2018, 21:54 PM

No you NEED to use volks, but don't fight engagements you can't win. Volks lose to penals in most engagements unless they outnumber the penals. So if you have 1 penal vs 1 volk, you should probably abandon the engagement unless you have superior cover.

Common build order from OKW is:

Volk -> Kubel -> Volk -> Volk -> Tech/Volk OR
Kubel -> Volk x3/x4 -> Tech

Sometimes the map doesn't allow for good kubel usage and you skip the kubel.
Raketens are also worked in there sometimes when an M3 shows up.

OKW metagame is very aggressive. Starting sturmpioneer is the key to your success. You need to make use of the unit more than just capping and need to fight with it. Key garrisons, heavy cover, cutoffs, choke points, deep points you can hide behind sight blockers. You need to get your sturms deep into your opponets "half" of the map and make him afraid to push points without an overwhelming force. Use your volks to backup your sturms, and then let the kubel cap your territory.

If you see he goes T1 as soviets you can expect an M3 probably. You don't have to go raketen but if you have the resources and at least 3 volks fielded you CAN. 4 volks is common currently, and you can plant mines with pioneers on hotspots. If you feel the M3 is coming you can have the kubel take territory near your sturms and volks to try and kill the M3 before it kills your kubel. A lot of players tend to just back the kubel away when they see the M3 but understand that the kubel can deal some decent damage vs the M3. The M3 will always win a 1v1 vs the kubel, but if you focus fire it with volks and sturms a lot of times you can trade out or even destroy the M3 before it gets the kubel.

Mech truck is currently favored with OKW into luchs sometimes coupled with a puma. The luchs allows you to keep your aggressive playstyle and try and keep your opponet off as much territory as possible. The puma is more just to push back the inevitable T70 that shows up in 98% of high level soviet games. If your Soviet opponet knows what the T70 can do, he will get one. If you don't go puma I would highly recommend 2x raketens. 1 is risking a lot, 2 is much more safe against a t70. If he has guards you need to try and beat them with overwhelming numbers and superior flanks. Guards are great at what they do and they're anti everything. You're not going to win 1v1 engagements vs a lone volks squad. Obers, multiple volks, a luchs can push them around a bit. Just be careful with vehicles as their DP28s can snag vehicles if they get to close inhibiting their movement. You can remove the snare by pushing the guard squad or moving out of range. If they catch you at mid range with button you're introuble. Their "Hit the Dirt" vet ability also gives them bonus Rate of Fire, so watch for that.

If you make it to lategame the OKW p4 is your bread and butter. A fantastic medium generalist but understanding what it can and cannot do will help a lot. If your opponet is getting T34/76s, the P4 will do great. T34/85s I highly recommend a panther. The 34/85s will out trade your P4 most of the time. The have better penetration as well as higher HP than you. This is why the panther does well vs them. For what the panther lacks in anti-infantry it makes up for in its ability to brawl with other tanks. It has high penetration, armor and a very sizeable HP pool that can run over your opponets armor if they overextend. Just becareful not to overextend with your panther. Su85s will have no problem taking shots out of the panthers range and penetrating.

A word of advice for OKW, do not ever go KT. It currently sits more as a noob trap for players who like "big heavy tanks". You'll get far more DPS and mobility out of 2x p4s, or a P4 and a panther.

Also understand your opponet as well. Understand that t70 that shows up in 98% of games shows up because it has good AI and decent AT vs some units, but with vet2 and vet 3 has outrageous sight range. We're talking cross map sight range with recon mode enabled. Consider yourself doing very well in the game if you can snag that kill, just don't lose your army for it, especially your raketens. 6 man soviet raketens are very frightening.

Thanks for taking the time to write that out. I really do appreciate it. I've been playing this game more or less since it was released but have been away for a couple of years due to getting kids and having bad internet etc. This really helped refresh my memory.

I have maybe gotten a KT a handful of times at most. I hate the big bulky tanks with a passion.

I've been going T1 to get fast fausts but perhaps i should wait a few extra minutes to bring me the luchs to help me wrestle map control back. The puma used to be my favorite unit. It hits really hard for it's size and most opponents underestimate it. I even used to go double pumas and duke it out with medium tanks with some success. However, i do feel my micro has gotten worse and it's very micro intensive, i will try to regain control of that sweet machine.

Again, thanks for your advice.
26 Oct 2018, 22:03 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write that out. I really do appreciate it. I've been playing this game more or less since it was released but have been away for a couple of years due to getting kids and having bad internet etc. This really helped refresh my memory.

I have maybe gotten a KT a handful of times at most. I hate the big bulky tanks with a passion.

I've been going T1 to get fast fausts but perhaps i should wait a few extra minutes to bring me the luchs to help me wrestle map control back. The puma used to be my favorite unit. It hits really hard for it's size and most opponents underestimate it. I even used to go double pumas and duke it out with medium tanks with some success. However, i do feel my micro has gotten worse and it's very micro intensive, i will try to regain control of that sweet machine.

Again, thanks for your advice.

No problem. If you're looking to heavily use pumas consider the Special operations doctrine to go command panther so you don't have to tech Schwer HQ. Alternativly the HEAT rounds from Elite armor doctrine (the one with the Sturmtiger) pack a very large punch when on the puma.
27 Oct 2018, 00:05 AM

My general build order against Soviet T1 is Volk,Volk,Volk,Rak,Volk,Tech. Lay two sets of mines on the flanks or in high traffic area's such as on roads. Mechanized Regiment is pretty much a no-brainer against Tier 1 as the Panzer II will heavily bleed PTRS wielding infantry. 2 Rak's and 4 Volks should be enough to get to Tier 3 and get a squad of Obers to deal with the Guardsmen. If your opponent goes double T-70, going for a Puma and two Rak's will pretty much hardcounter that build. Key is to place your Schwerer in a spot in which it can cover an important resource point and assist the Rak's against the T-70. You can also use the Panzer II to tank damage from the T-70 to keep the Rak's from getting wiped. Spec Ops is pretty much the best commander with this build order and going Panzer IV into a Command Panther will work almost all of the time. Worst case scenario you have to settle for a regular Panther if the armor pressure gets too great. Get two pieces of armor out and get the Mechanics Upgrade. Then backtech to Battlegroup HQ for healing so you don't have to rely on the AOE Medical crates for healing in the mid-late game. A Stuka is also really powerful with the Artillery Flares and can easily clean out team weapons if the Soviet player backtechs Tier 2 for AT Guns or Maxims.
17 Dec 2018, 10:59 AM

Man it happened again. I have a -8 streak against Soviet T1. Dropped from 504 to 800+ on the ladder. I am tilted as hell. Just trying to survive the early game but i always lose too much map control to the scout car-penal spam. Life as OKW is hard.

I'm in exactly the same situation against soviet tier 1 as okw

on the flip side, im on a 12 win streak with sov and US
17 Dec 2018, 11:38 AM

https://www.coh2.org/replay/84678/new-okw-sector-assault-is-super-balanced

I uploaded this replay to show how OP sector assault is but reading this thread gave me the idea that it might be helpful for people who struggle vs Soviet T1 as OKW. It´s me playing vs Soviet T1 and completly reking him from minute 0. Despite him being a Top 100 player. Maybe take a look at it?
3 Jan 2019, 13:31 PM

Your problem is basically one of the biggest IMO.
T-70 is so OP particularly with good inf. support so basically as OKW, i think you should get 4 volks to cap and hold the inf back, raketen, build meach base or medic base as soon as you can.Also instead of 3-4 mines put down 1-2 and buy shreck and save for volks fausts.Even though this probably won't kill t-70/stuart/AEC if opponent is carefull it will scare him enough so that he doesn't over attack.
:)
12 Jan 2019, 15:43 PM

Simple answer : panzerfaust , mines
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment