Login

russian armor

COH 2 Art Director Geoff Coates back to work to relic

23 Aug 2018, 10:52 AM

Good news everyone, Geoff Coates, art director that setup vizual style for coh 2 and dow 3 cancelled prototype wwith realistic graphics back to relic to work on unnanounced project at relic. Maybe this mean we will see soon announce of coh 3?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/geoff-coates-71abb532
23 Aug 2018, 14:24 PM

What do you mean "cancelled prototype with realistic graphics"? Both CoH2 and DoW3 have goofy looking cartoon graphics compared to the gritty and dark ones of CoH and DoW/DoW2.
23 Aug 2018, 15:20 PM

What do you mean "cancelled prototype with realistic graphics"? Both CoH2 and DoW3 have goofy looking cartoon graphics compared to the gritty and dark ones of CoH and DoW/DoW2.

In regards to coh1>coh2 looks, I think you've dropped your glasses.
23 Aug 2018, 15:37 PM

This

And where do you see cartoons in coh 2?
23 Aug 2018, 16:33 PM
Senior Caster Badge

COH2 ONLINE INC
23 Aug 2018, 18:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2018, 15:20 PMKatitof

In regards to coh1>coh2 looks, I think you've dropped your glasses.

Come again? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=Wz6bvTcEPrY

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2018, 15:37 PMValeran

This

And where do you see cartoons in coh 2?

This, is a hell of a lot better.
23 Aug 2018, 19:39 PM

This, is a hell of a lot better.

Don't see big difference between coh 1 and coh 2, coh 1 just had gray filter and nothing more. And effects are same, it's not the same situation with dow 3, where low details on environment and clear textures on units with awful anims make game looks like goofy-cartoony.
23 Aug 2018, 19:52 PM

*Wants to compare the graphics of both games*

*Posts a vid that is only about the animation of explosions*

Logic level: carrot.

Oh and I have to agree with Katitof here.... I play the CoH franchise since 2009 and everybody who says CoH1 graphics look better is either dumb or blind, sorry. (Or maybe this only counts if you have a potato G-card?)
23 Aug 2018, 19:58 PM

Oh and I have to agree with Katitof here.... I play the CoH franchise since 2009 and everybody who says CoH1 graphics look better is either dumb or blind, sorry. (Or maybe this only counts if you have a potato G-card?)

The graphics were improved from coh1 to coh2 but they went from a raw look to a more 'cartoony' look, imo. Also played coh1 from the start and I remember when COH2 came out thinking 'wow, this isn't much of an improvement'.
23 Aug 2018, 20:18 PM

Alright, this is my answer:

Whoever doesn't see that CoH's explosion effects are bigger, better and more realistic is both dumb AND blind.

Like them apples? No? I don't really care, I'm showing proof of what I speak while neither of you provide any substance to your arguments apart from having little to no experience in playing the original game.

But yes I will agree that the Sturmtiger and Railway artillery have awesome effects but that doesn't explain why 105mm artillery shells feel more like mortar such and craters are less than 6 feet deep. The map in CoH literally looked like the side of the moon after 3 hours.
23 Aug 2018, 20:23 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Aug 2018, 19:58 PMGdot

The graphics were improved from coh1 to coh2 but they went from a raw look to a more 'cartoony' look, imo. Also played coh1 from the start and I remember when COH2 came out thinking 'wow, this isn't much of an improvement'.

I remember thinking that as well. Later I realised it was due to vehicle models, many of which were ported from coh1 with close to no changes.

As for cartoonish style, I have always thought it is the vcoh that is the most cartoonish ww2 game out there. Not only the graphics that made war look pleasant, not only soldiers trying hard but not being able to hit each other and dancing around, not even the historical context based more on hollywood films than actual history, but most importantly the voice lines. I mean I find all of these funny but surely, it is by no means serious war game. Its more about scouts than soldiers, war looks like fun activity to take part in there.

Coh2 on the other hand, in its vanilla version, grasped that heavy and dangerous climate of eastern front, with all the propaganda propelled soldiers fighting battles for their regimes and dying not even to their enemy but to snow and cold. Seems much more realistic to me, even though I know the combat abilities of units are still totally off charts when it comes to being non-historic.
23 Aug 2018, 20:41 PM

That's not graphical comparison.

If CoH1 looks better for you, its likely because you still use the same GPU on coh2 as you used on coh1.
23 Aug 2018, 20:41 PM

... craters are less than 6 feet deep. The map in CoH literally looked like the side of the moon after 3 hours.

I do miss the devastation of COH1.

But I also do not miss being in a 3 hour AI game only to have it ended because the terrain became impassable. And watching vehicles drive down into giant holes then shoot into the air on the other side looked dumb.

So I agree with the minimized terrain deformation of COH2. Could maybe make it a little deeper?

Oh and I like COH2 graphics better.
23 Aug 2018, 21:38 PM

effects, animations, sound, environment, the whole dynamic of big battles is much better in this game
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2
unknown 2
unknown 50
United States 35
unknown 4

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L