Login

russian armor

How is ranking in 4v4 determined?

15 Aug 2018, 18:02 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2018, 17:55 PMTobis

Or don't play randoms and get an arranged team, which is a separate elo rank. Playing random team games is just pulling teeth with the randomness.

Yeah, of course. I assumed OP likes to play random games. Otherwise why would anybody bother with running away from elo hell when you can just get the new rank with a team and crush the unorganised random teams like flies.
15 Aug 2018, 20:41 PM

Every single game mode and every single AT team have their own separate ELO.

Thanks for the answer.

At the end I see no point why they did double system elo+rank. Though now it explains somehow why top10 player matches with top1k in the same time while another top10 player searches too.
15 Aug 2018, 21:52 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2018, 20:41 PMHater

Thanks for the answer.

At the end I see no point why they did double system elo+rank. Though now it explains somehow why top10 player matches with top1k in the same time while another top10 player searches too.

How is it a "double" system? Elo is a ranking method. This is how your ladder rank is determined, simply by sorting by the elo value. Without elo, there would be no ladder.
16 Aug 2018, 01:43 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

How is it a "double" system? Elo is a ranking method. This is how your ladder rank is determined, simply by sorting by the elo value. Without elo, there would be no ladder.

I think he means why are the 1-20 ranks even a thing if they don't do anything.
16 Aug 2018, 02:50 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2018, 01:43 AMTobis

Well, they determine your skill, in a relic way :P They also look good on the ladder. At the very least they are a function of your ladder position and the ladder length, so it is quite easy to determine what they mean. They surely don't affect the matchmaking, although that is a good thing imho.
16 Aug 2018, 05:26 AM

And do not forget this fun non-linear stuff?

Playing 4v4 premade team your either a Level 7 or a 16 because it switches at rank 200 :p
16 Aug 2018, 07:13 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2018, 05:26 AMRosbone

And do not forget this fun non-linear stuff?

Playing 4v4 premade team your either a Level 7 or a 16 because it switches at rank 200 :p

You know that your Screenshot shows 1vs1 Briten ladder?
16 Aug 2018, 08:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Aug 2018, 16:45 PMReverb

This is exactly what happened, in the first 10 games (these are with a smurf account) in Soviet and OKW, no one dropped, no one was AFK, everyone in the match was a good player, the result of which was high rank after the first 10 matches (Soviet had 100% win rate, OKW had 70% win rate). When I did this with OST, the first 4 games had AFK players, probably 6-7 of them had people on my team that dropped after 1-2 minutes, the result of which was a 10% win rate and rank 2500 or so....now if I play Soviet or OKW in 4v4, they are mostly enjoyable, but every single game with OST is anal cancer, and I mostly lose the matches, further sinking rank, making them progressively more and more cancerous.

I've been top 30 with Ost/USF in 4v4, still in high elo you will get leavers/afks. You also will generally get a mix of players especially if you play around my time (West coast US) you get something like a top 50 top 200 and 2 2000+ players per team.
16 Aug 2018, 12:08 PM

See, ELO is hidden, and ladder's rank (not 1-20 level) is a calculation based on ELO (like I get it from the thread). Why not show and use only ELO, sort ladder straight by ELO and make matching players more clear (it uses ELO anyway so showing it simply stops questions like 'why i'm top200 matched with top2k' if you see direct values by which the matching happens)? Also, I keep in mind that after X minutes of searching the automatch system can put you into any game despite your rank, but this isn't ELO/rank issue.

To the level gaps: there was a thread with explanation that levels 20-16 are statically distributed among top200, level 15 is an amount of players, who are worse than total mode's playerbase by some percentage and so on. I don't remember exact values. https://www.coh2.org/topic/39012/what-does-the-levels-mean-in-coh2-leaderboards/post/534717
16 Aug 2018, 13:54 PM

But it does, these ranks are kind of SC leagues in the sense that they detriment your place within the "best x%", except instead of general player poll, its per faction basis without locking you to play only with same other ranks.
16 Aug 2018, 14:00 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2018, 12:08 PMHater

See, ELO is hidden, and ladder's rank (not 1-20 level) is a calculation based on ELO (like I get it from the thread). Why not show and use only ELO, sort ladder straight by ELO and make matching players more clear (it uses ELO anyway so showing it simply stops questions like 'why i'm top200 matched with top2k' if you see direct values by which the matching happens)? Also, I keep in mind that after X minutes of searching the automatch system can put you into any game despite your rank, but this isn't ELO/rank issue.

To the level gaps: there was a thread with explanation that levels 20-16 are statically distributed among top200, level 15 is an amount of players, who are worse than total mode's playerbase by some percentage and so on. I don't remember exact values. https://www.coh2.org/topic/39012/what-does-the-levels-mean-in-coh2-leaderboards/post/534717

Well, you should probably ask relic about that :P There are some reasons I can think of though. First, due to matchmaking the system is more prone to abuse than the chess one. Hiding the exact values that it works on helps prevent the abuse of the ladder system. I believe ways to abuse it would be pretty easy to find knowing all the values. The other reason is that thanks to hiding the way ladder is calculated, they can alter it without us noticing. And it is very important in programming to reserve the right to change your algorithms without making your clients notice the change. Finally, think of the fact that they don't even show rank of your allies and opponents before the match because of people getting scared and leaving the match. Now how easy would it be for a player to lose faith if he could see that he needs a 100 won matches or so to jump from place 2 to 1 in the ladder?

That is why I can understand why they decided to keep it hidden, although still if I was the one to make that decision, I would prefer for the system to be more transparent.
16 Aug 2018, 14:59 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2018, 13:54 PMKatitof

But it does, these ranks are kind of SC leagues in the sense that they detriment your place within the "best x%", except instead of general player poll, its per faction basis without locking you to play only with same other ranks.

Is that speculation? I think it only uses elo to determine opponents and not ranks. When they added ranks I didn't notice any change in the matchmaking.
16 Aug 2018, 15:34 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2018, 14:59 PMTobis

Is that speculation? I think it only uses elo to determine opponents and not ranks. When they added ranks I didn't notice any change in the matchmaking.

I think that what his post means is that 1-20 ranks do not affect matchmaking. What they do is they represent your skill by saying you are better than said percent of a ladder, which is true only for ranks 1-15. Now if ranks 20-16 worked in the same way as the 1-15 ones, then it could really be an useful piece of information, as you wouldn't have to check the length of the ladder to know what your ladder position really means.
16 Aug 2018, 20:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Aug 2018, 14:59 PMTobis

You've mentioned only the 1-20 ranks, nothing about their connections to elo, which they are not.
The ranks have completely nothing to do with matchmaking, they are simply an indicator where you are more or less on the ranking of your faction in regards to your factions full population.

Ladder rank 300 on faction with 1000 players will have different 1-20 rank then ladder rank 300 on faction with 10000 players as 1-20 rank is your relative placement within your faction, something like "context" of your ladder rank.

Another example, you can be rank 300 yourself in low population faction and be matched with rank 500 in high populated faction, you both could have similar elo(or not) and say rank 16 as that rank is your relative position on your factions ladder taking into account all active players of your faction.
16 Aug 2018, 21:55 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

edit: nvm lol
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak