Login

russian armor

New Commander concepts.

PAGES (15)down
14 Jul 2018, 11:55 AM

Some easy approaches to fix the Defensive doctrines for Ostheer and Soviets:

Add a regular Hetzer to the Ostheer defensive doctrince. It would differ from the StuG by having 60 range and being more expensive (350 mp/120 fuel). Would fit the doctrine since it was used defensively and you could just reuse the Flammpanzer model.

For the Soviets I would like to see the ability for the M-42 AT gun to switch to HE shells (like the Sherman). Not too much but a little splash damage would be nice so it could be used against infantry.

14 Jul 2018, 23:25 PM

something that gives British the kangaroo carrier, which allows infantry to fire from a mobile, safety covered position,
throw smoke raid operations in there too somewhere.

that will do nicely i think.
15 Jul 2018, 03:03 AM

Had a while to think about it, and here are my ideas for New Commander concepts;

Soviets: Urban Assault Tactics
Take, dispute and hold key buildings. Shock Troopers provide close quarter clearing options for confined options, while partisan irregulars provide impromptu anti-tank support. Soldify or buildings with Guards Rifles or Forwards Headquarters, or deny them with Incendiary Artillery Barrages.

0: Forward HQ
2: Shock Troops
2: Guards Rifles
2: Partisan Tank Hunters
6: Incendiary Artillery

(Basically designed to give a flexible field presence and a highly adaptable early game.)

Ostheer: Assault Pioneer Doctrine
Gradually requisition specialized pioneer equipment to support construction, repair and assault operations, as well as Panzer IV tanks to support assaults.

0: Assault Pioneers; Escalate to Battle Phase 1 unlocks enhanced metalworking tools, increasing construction and repair by 25% for 20 munitions (ala British Heavy Engineers, not mutually exclusive with flamethrower or hazard upgrades). Escalate to Battle Phase 2 unlocks maximum pioneer squad size of 5. Escalate to Battle Phase 3 allows Pioneers to repair vehicle criticals (ala USF Vehicle Crews)
3: Repair Station; (Identical to the Soviet Industry one, but with pioneers instead. Gets an additional man at Escalate Battle Phase 2)
4: Smoke Bombs (airdrop)
9: Panzer IV Short Barrel: Off-map call in, 300 Manpower and 100 Fuel.
9: Panzer IV Command Tank

(Basically to give OST some scaling repair support, as well a bit of tank diversity.)

USF: Supply Line Company
Roll out and supply an American advance. Repurposed WC51 Military trucks and M3 Half-tracks can secure territory, while emergency airdrops can be assigned to soldiers in the field. When ready, armor can be pulled from the convoy to assist.

0: WC51 Military Truck; While not upgraded with the 50cal HMG, it can be used to secure territory like Cargo trucks.
3: M3 Half Track; Also has the secure territory ability while not upgraded. Can still reinforce units while securing territory
4: Air Resupply Operation; Basically the British version, but drops the 50cal and 57mm AT gun as well as medical supplies. Cost reduced to 140 due tot he 57mm AT gun being slightly less valuable than the British 3 Pounder.
5: M8 Greyhound
10: Bulldozer Sherman

(Basically to reflect the Red Ball aspect of the USF, letting them play slightly like mechanized, while also getting support weapons if necessary. Greyhound and Bulldozer are vehicle flavor to support anti-infantry support, while the later is to clear paths for your 'supplies'.)

OKW: Kampfkraft Doctrine
Requisition additional support infantry for your forces, from the trustworthy Ostruppen, the infamous MG42, long range Pak40, and german sharpshooters. Once your composition is complete, solidify your old guard strategy with dug in trenches.

0: Trenches
0: Ostruppen
1: Obersoldaten Sharpshooter; Statwise, the Ostheer sniper, but with Obesoldaten model. Call in for 360 Manpower.
1: MG42 Call in; Call in an MG42 for 240 Manpower
2: Pak40 Call in; Call in a Pak 40 for 300 Manpower

(Lets you play Ostheer, but as the OKW. Most people have problems with the MG34 HMG, and the Raketenwerfer is pretty contentious. It's super manpower heavy though, but I guess that makes some sense given that OKW can't build caches. Oh, and if you're wondering why the support weapons are cheap, its because they're crewed by Ostruppen. You can trust them though. No really, you can.)

UKF: Command Structure Regiment
Command from the field. Horsea Glider provides infantry leadership, while the Valentine Tank and command vehicles provide superior coordination and awareness. Call in a few favors in the form of pertinent artillery, and vehicle crew repairs.

2: Designate Command Vehicle
3: Airlanding Officer, Horsea Glider
4: Concentrated Artillery Barrage
6: Vehicle Crew Repairs
8: Valentine Tank

(A pretty interesting combination. The composition is for all the leadership elements of the British in one doctrine, while creating a {perhaps too powerful} combination for the underused Designate Command Vehicle and Valentine Tank. Vehicle Crew Repairs lets you keep the Valentine alive, and Concentrated Artillery is sort of the Captain's 'Victor Target' back in CoH1, but as an off-map ability.)
15 Jul 2018, 03:56 AM

USF Tank Destroyer Company

0 Cp: Riflemen field defenses. Mine laying works with the tank destroyer theme.

4 Cp: P-47 recon flight. Spotting for advancing enemy armour is a key aspect of tank destroyer doctrine and it’s a good utility ability that isn’t over powered.

4 Cp: M1 57mm Anti Tank Gun off map call in. *Elite* AT gun team is crewed by Assault engineers or Rangers making it more durable to infantry attacks with the better received accuracy but costs more to reinforce. Sort of a trade off for not having to tech Captain. Works with the theme.

5 Cp: M8 armored car call in. The M8 was originally evaluated as a tank destroyer early in the war before they decided to only evaluate potential new TDs that had at least a 57mm, then 3 inch and finally the 76mm gun. Examples being the M1 Anti Tank Gun, M10 GMC and the M18 Hellcat (I’d love to see it but that’s a no go due to needing a new model.)

0 Cp: M10 tank destroyer. Obvious choice for the theme as they were the primary Gun Motor Carrage used by the tank destroyer branch during WWII.

This commander is themed off of the real US tank destroyer branch that fought very successfully in WWII. If you are interested in it please look up The Chieftan on YouTube. He is a veteran tank commander who does several excellent talks on the tank destroyer branch, the development of the Sherman tank and the general myths of US tanks in WWII. It’s very interesting for anyone that is a CoH fan or a historian in general.
15 Jul 2018, 08:00 AM

4 Cp: P-47 recon flight. Spotting for advancing enemy armour is a key aspect of tank destroyer doctrine and it’s a good utility ability that isn’t over powered.

4 Cp: M1 57mm Anti Tank Gun off map call in. *Elite* AT gun team is crewed by Assault engineers or Rangers making it more durable to infantry attacks with the better received accuracy but costs more to reinforce. Sort of a trade off for not having to tech Captain. Works with the theme.

5 Cp: M8 armored car call in. The M8 was originally evaluated as a tank destroyer early in the war before they decided to only evaluate potential new TDs that had at least a 57mm, then 3 inch and finally the 76mm gun. Examples being the M1 Anti Tank Gun, M10 GMC and the M18 Hellcat (I’d love to see it but that’s a no go due to needing a new model.)

0 Cp: M10 tank destroyer. Obvious choice for the theme as they were the primary Gun Motor Carrage used by the tank destroyer branch during WWII.

This commander is themed off of the real US tank destroyer branch that fought very successfully in WWII. If you are interested in it please look up The Chieftan on YouTube. He is a veteran tank commander who does several excellent talks on the tank destroyer branch, the development of the Sherman tank and the general myths of US tanks in WWII. It’s very interesting for anyone that is a CoH fan or a historian in general.

Damn, wish I thought of tank destroyer company.

Anyhow, I feel like - while the current line-up is good - you could probably add in some kind of tank detection for riflemen and tanks (tank hunters), a passive that makes hit tanks show up on the map for slightly longer (hammer tactics), and maybe a USF version of Target Vehicle Mark (soviets).
15 Jul 2018, 09:36 AM

+99 i'd love to see some new commanders
15 Jul 2018, 09:47 AM

i think you should put something else instead of the anti tank gun cause with the m10 you don't have to tech major and with atgun you don't have to tech captain + they're both anti tank. i would like to see m10 to be used more but i'd like to see it come thogeter with a tech of the LT AND CPT.
15 Jul 2018, 10:12 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2018, 09:47 AMYRon²y

i think you should put something else instead of the anti tank gun cause with the m10 you don't have to tech major and with atgun you don't have to tech captain + they're both anti tank. i would like to see m10 to be used more but i'd like to see it come thogeter with a tech of the LT AND CPT.

Not really. The M10, given that it arrives at 0CPs, is the version that's buildable at the Battalion building which requires Major. And the overlapping AT is still necessary, since the the mid-game gap where light vehicles reign supreme still requires the AT gun.
15 Jul 2018, 15:30 PM

Damn, wish I thought of tank destroyer company.

Anyhow, I feel like - while the current line-up is good - you could probably add in some kind of tank detection for riflemen and tanks (tank hunters), a passive that makes hit tanks show up on the map for slightly longer (hammer tactics), and maybe a USF version of Target Vehicle Mark (soviets).

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2018, 09:47 AMYRon²y

Not really. The M10, given that it arrives at 0CPs, is the version that's buildable at the Battalion building which requires Major. And the overlapping AT is still necessary, since the the mid-game gap where light vehicles reign supreme still requires the AT gun.

The way actual US tank destroyer units were supposed to act was as a counter attack unit sent to engage enemy tanks that had made a breakthrough by moving quickly from a rear area to intercept the break through unit and ambush it and/or counter assault into it. So M1 ATGs and the Riflemen field defenses represent the first part while M10s and M8s are the second part. I’d prefer the M10 to be a call in, but currently the game uses it as a buildable Major tier unit, so I put it in as that. A tank detection ability to replace the air recon would be fine though, but I think air recon is more USF style. A mark target ability similar to Soviets is a neat idea, but change it so the P-47s strafe the tank repeatedly with MGs causing some damage to light vehicles but stunning tanks while giving sight to ground forces but no extra penetration or bonus damage like the Soviet version. This strafe would not target infantry, but would damage and suppress infantry if they were too close to the tank being attacked.
15 Jul 2018, 17:56 PM
Senior Editor Badge

One more to US:

US

Artillery Company

1 - M1 81mm Mortar Team
The M1 81mm mortar squad can be ordered in to the battlefield. Effective against static targets and infantry.

2 - Off Map Smoke Barrage
Saturate an area with M89 smoke shells to disrupt sight lines.

6 - White Phosphorous Smoke Barrage
A white phosphorous smoke barrage is fired at the target area. This will obscure the sight of units and damage infantry over time.

9 - M7B1 'Priest' Howitzer Motor Carriage
An M7B1 'Priest' Howitzer Motor Carriage can be deployed to the battlefield. This mobile artillery unit is effective against static positions or enemy concentrations.

10 - 155mm Artillery Barrage
Call in a 155mm artillery attack on the target location. These powerful shells will kill infantry and damage vehicles.
15 Jul 2018, 18:08 PM

yea and who uses an m10 over a fucking jackson? like i don't see the logic of getting the major and then making an m10 when there's a jackson i can get. this is where it all goes wrang. i'm saying i want the LT and CPT teched or atleast one of them before the m10 comes on, and make the cp's higher so it obviously wont come in the first min... you can counter tanks like luchs in other ways even by using the AAHT, an ATGUN isn't even the most effective way cause luchs and such are to mobile while the ATGUN isn't... ofcourse i like the idea, but i'd put the 'special' ATGUN in some other commander where it has a bigger use. for instance some commander where the LT will be chosen above CPT for some reason, and then give that commander the ATGUN cause it will be usefull.
15 Jul 2018, 18:11 PM

The way actual US tank destroyer units were supposed to act was as a counter attack unit sent to engage enemy tanks that had made a breakthrough by moving quickly from a rear area to intercept the break through unit and ambush it and/or counter assault into it. So M1 ATGs and the Riflemen field defenses represent the first part while M10s and M8s are the second part. I’d prefer the M10 to be a call in, but currently the game uses it as a buildable Major tier unit, so I put it in as that. A tank detection ability to replace the air recon would be fine though, but I think air recon is more USF style. A mark target ability similar to Soviets is a neat idea, but change it so the P-47s strafe the tank repeatedly with MGs causing some damage to light vehicles but stunning tanks while giving sight to ground forces but no extra penetration or bonus damage like the Soviet version. This strafe would not target infantry, but would damage and suppress infantry if they were too close to the tank being attacked.

m10 should be a call in that's only possible to use if for instance captain is teched or LT maybe both. making the m10 a call in thogether with the lower tech will give it its use back. nobody uses the m10 anymore cause jackson is just way better. in other words m10 is useless for the moment.

btw read above. this might help a bit aswel.
16 Jul 2018, 02:31 AM

Either sounds good. If there was a way to combine a strafing run that tags tanks, that'd be pretty cool.

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2018, 18:08 PMYRon²y

yea and who uses an m10 over a fucking jackson? like i don't see the logic of getting the major and then making an m10 when there's a jackson i can get. this is where it all goes wrang. i'm saying i want the LT and CPT teched or atleast one of them before the m10 comes on, and make the cp's higher so it obviously wont come in the first min... you can counter tanks like luchs in other ways even by using the AAHT, an ATGUN isn't even the most effective way cause luchs and such are to mobile while the ATGUN isn't... ofcourse i like the idea, but i'd put the 'special' ATGUN in some other commander where it has a bigger use. for instance some commander where the LT will be chosen above CPT for some reason, and then give that commander the ATGUN cause it will be usefull.

The problem is that the M10 has a use, but it's tied behind Armor Company, which has several deadweight abilities. And yeah, I greatly preferred it when the M10 was a call-in, mostly because it was a viable stop gap between Captain and Major. Now it's basically a turreted Stug.

As for using it over a Jackson, it's about two thirds the cost and just as effective against medium tanks. I'm also totally behind the idea of letting it be built if you have the Lieutenant + Captain teched (i.e. two USF base buildings).

I've tried using the AAHT against the luch, but its a stalemate at best. The Luch has light tank armor and a Stuart or 57mm is really needed to reliably counter them.

As for a special AT gun, you could honestly reuse the Recon Company airdropped AT gun group for the special zooks as well. Comes out at 4CP as well.
16 Jul 2018, 06:47 AM

Either sounds good. If there was a way to combine a strafing run that tags tanks, that'd be pretty cool.

The problem is that the M10 has a use, but it's tied behind Armor Company, which has several deadweight abilities. And yeah, I greatly preferred it when the M10 was a call-in, mostly because it was a viable stop gap between Captain and Major. Now it's basically a turreted Stug.

As for using it over a Jackson, it's about two thirds the cost and just as effective against medium tanks. I'm also totally behind the idea of letting it be built if you have the Lieutenant + Captain teched (i.e. two USF base buildings).

I've tried using the AAHT against the luch, but its a stalemate at best. The Luch has light tank armor and a Stuart or 57mm is really needed to reliably counter them.

As for a special AT gun, you could honestly reuse the Recon Company airdropped AT gun group for the special zooks as well. Comes out at 4CP as well.

You’re right about the M10.

Paradropping anything in a tank destroyer theme doesn’t work, because the tank destroyer branch was always ground mobile and not airborne in nature. I’d rather not see a third Paratrooper themed company, unless it was a battle of the bulge themed one where the Paras rise in on trucks or just walk in from the off map like rangers. Call it a “American Reserve Company”. Lol
16 Jul 2018, 08:18 AM

i just wanne say something about the AAHT. if i mean you can beat the luchs with AAHT. i don't mean they win 1vs1. but with good micro you can still win that fight. the stuart is a good counter but becomes useless IMO just cause it isn't good enaugh vs inf. it doesn't have that t70 effect :P. i don't get where you go to with the stuart aswel. as you want the ATGUN in the commander but teching CPT makes it useless. that's why i say the ATGUN is useless in this commande, you have an m10 wich i prefer to be made after CPT AND LT is teched, but if you still need major it's ofcourse a decent idea but makes m10 useless. i don't know what they were thinking when they tied the m10 to major, but it was AGAIN not what should've happend.
16 Jul 2018, 12:06 PM

British Combined weaponry regiment:
1CP- IS can now be upgraded with both medpacks and red smoke (on the same unit)
2CP- AEC and Bofors can now be unlocked and used both
2CP- REs get the OKWs put down the minesweeper ability
8CP- Hammer and Anvil can both be teched
Now either a 2CP Bren carrier can be upgraded with both, but Im not sure how would the model for that work. Alternatively just the Supply HT
16 Jul 2018, 17:09 PM
16 Jul 2018, 17:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2018, 17:09 PMnigo
I updated all my ideas in one single post:

https://www.coh2.org/topic/81230/new-commander-concepts/post/688692

Nice, I was also thinking of adding 1 more to each Army to make a total of 4 suggestions for each.

It's sad that they will only do one more commander before they're done, there are a lot of good ideas found both here and in a lot of mods as I have noticed.
16 Jul 2018, 17:34 PM
Senior Editor Badge

there are a lot of good ideas found both here and in a lot of mods as I have noticed.

Can you bring these mod ideas here?

Thanks
16 Jul 2018, 17:42 PM

An idea for a UKF commander

Auxiliary Support Regiment

2CP Tank Hunter Infantry Sections
2CP HM38 120mm mortar
4CP Assault
4CP Commando Glider Insertion
12CP Concentrated Artillery Operation
PAGES (15)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest