Login

russian armor

Paratroopers vs Paratrooper Support Squad

26 Jun 2018, 18:36 PM

Hey guys, a few questions for those of you in the know regarding USF paratroopers.

Q1: What are the exact stat differences between unupgraded regular Paratroopers (Paras) and Paratrooper Support Squads (PSS)?

Q2: Are there any differences between Paras and PSS when upgraded to the M1919A6 LMGs?

Q3: Are weapon racks bazookas the same as PSS bazookas?/ Can I upgrade PSSs with bazookas from the weapon racks and get the better bazookas or do they only get the better bazookas when upgraded with the bazooka package? Obviously they won’t get the passive stealth, but is raw DPS different?

Q4: Can I upgrade bazookas on a squad of regular Paras and get the better bazookas from the weapon racks?

Q5: Is there ever a reason to put BARs on Paras or PSSs instead of Thompsons or M1919A6s?

Thanks in advance. I think the differences between Paras and PSSs are not very well understood and I’d like to hear some discussion on it.

Note: I’m not asking about the unique abilities that they have, only the differences between them on the basic level stats. For example M1 carbine vs M1 carbine stats, received accuracy stats, weapon accuracy when upgraded, etc.

PS, any info on Pathfinders vs I&R Pathfinders stats would be very helpful as well.
(Side note: has anyone else noticed that Pathfinders manually cycle the bolts on their M1C rifles? I just thought that it’s funny and totally unnecessary, unless their rifles are missing the gas plugs. Lol)
26 Jun 2018, 18:49 PM

I'm pretty sure the only difference between pathfinders and I&R pathfinders is that normal pathfinders have one more scoped garand but lack the arty abilities.

I think paras and PSS have the same base stats but I'm not certain.

I too have noticed that they manually cycle a semi automatic rifle XD I'm pretty sure it's no deeper than relic not wanting to have to mess with code to make a semi auto rifle fire as slow as they needed the M1C to shoot (for balance) so they just coded it as a bolt action rifle instead.
26 Jun 2018, 20:51 PM

I too have noticed that they manually cycle a semi automatic rifle XD I'm pretty sure it's no deeper than relic not wanting to have to mess with code to make a semi auto rifle fire as slow as they needed the M1C to shoot (for balance) so they just coded it as a bolt action rifle instead.

As opposed to just cloning the G43 that’s used on the Jager infantry? Lol. I dunno, but I think Relic just doesn’t know how forearms work.

Hey Relic! If you need a firearms historian for CoH 3 to make sure it is all historically and functionally correct..... I know a guy. ;)
26 Jun 2018, 21:00 PM
Donator 11

I dunno, but I think Relic just doesn’t know how forearms work.

I think they might need a physiology expert for that ;)

As for firearms, it is pretty common knowledge how they work, so maybe they just need to google a bit better.
26 Jun 2018, 22:11 PM

I think they might need a physiology expert for that ;)

As for firearms, it is pretty common knowledge how they work, so maybe they just need to google a bit better.

Well, you look at the M1C and there's literally nothing to pull like a bolt action rifle's bolt. It's kinda comical; it looks like they're just pretending to cycle.
26 Jun 2018, 22:55 PM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

Picking up the bazookas from the racks with regular paras won't give you the camo or ability to plant mines but they have the same improved damage.
27 Jun 2018, 04:51 AM

They were made around the same during Recon Support's rework.
No real difference.
Only when used by Paratroopers.
All Bazookas Paratroopers use become Elite Bazookas.
None what so ever, you should stick to LMGs to be honest, unless you feel cheeky or it's an urban map.
27 Jun 2018, 08:00 AM

Q5: Is there ever a reason to put BARs on Paras or PSSs instead of Thompsons or M1919A6s?

Paras that have picked a single BAR (or bazooka) can still upgrade with an LMG. Strangely the bar/lmg paras do not seem to be inferior to double lmg even at long ranges.
27 Jun 2018, 18:37 PM

Well, you look at the M1C and there's literally nothing to pull like a bolt action rifle's bolt. It's kinda comical; it looks like they're just pretending to cycle.

You can absolutely use the charging handle/operating rod on an M1 as a straight pull bolt action similar to a Swiss Schmidt-Ruben or a Canadian Ross rifle. In fact, if you have the rifle grenade launcher attached to the M1 Garand, you MUST use the charging handle to work the action for each shot. This is done because of the cartridge used to fire a rifle grenade produces much more gas expansion when combined with the much heavier projectile (A grenade instead of a bullet). This surplus of gas will damage the rifle’s operating rod which will render the rifle unusable until the operating rod is replaced. (This problem was mostly solved with the M14 rifle, which also incorporates the rifle grenade launcher into the flash hider, as does the M16 and all STANAG military rifles like the FAMAS, G3, G36, FAL, and L85.

The launcher on the M1 automatically opens a valve in the gas plug that vents the extra gas out of the system when mounted on the rifle. This disables semi automatic firing of regular ammo, but the rifle would still function as a straight pull bolt action.
27 Jun 2018, 18:39 PM

Picking up the bazookas from the racks with regular paras won't give you the camo or ability to plant mines but they have the same improved damage.

Thank you, that was one of my main questions. This basically makes all types of Paras excellent bazooka platforms if you can spare the manpower.

Love your casts, by the way. Keep up the good work.
27 Jun 2018, 21:24 PM
Donator 11

Thank you, that was one of my main questions. This basically makes all types of Paras excellent bazooka platforms if you can spare the manpower.

Love your casts, by the way. Keep up the good work.

What is the situation when you would build para zooks over double RE zooks or an AT gun? I mean, 2x RE zook squad is just 20 manpower, 1 popcap and 100 munitions more. And I'm pretty sure it is worth more than a zooked para squad.
27 Jun 2018, 21:54 PM

What is the situation when you would build para zooks over double RE zooks or an AT gun? I mean, 2x RE zook squad is just 20 manpower, 1 popcap and 100 munitions more. And I'm pretty sure it is worth much more than a zooked para squad.

Perhaps you just dropped Paras with the intent of upgrading them with Tommy guns or LMGs, when suddenly a Panzar IV shows up! You already lost your REs and you just need a squad to put bazookas on, your Riflemen all have BARs already so you use your fresh squad of Paras instead.

A six man bazooka team with decent the anti infantry firepower of paratrooper M1 Carbines is durable and won’t get pushed off as easily by a single squad of enemy infantry. I agree that they’re not a go-to squad for bazookas, but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that you might need to choose between Paras and Riflemen as a bazooka platform, and I think a case can be made for putting them on the Paras for the extra bazooka power and the added durability of a six man squad.

So yeah, you probably shouldn’t build Paras with the intent of putting bazookas on them.
28 Jun 2018, 02:49 AM

What is the situation when you would build para zooks over double RE zooks or an AT gun? I mean, 2x RE zook squad is just 20 manpower, 1 popcap and 100 munitions more. And I'm pretty sure it is worth more than a zooked para squad.

The support paras get camo if you upgrade em. They can also plant mines, so if you camo near a mine you planted you can really f*** a tank's day up.

Edit: Forgot to mention there's a 25% damage/pen bonus for an ambush attack on top of the already improved damage and pen over regular zooks. So you can REALLY f*** a tank's day up.
28 Jun 2018, 12:20 PM
Donator 11

The support paras get camo if you upgrade em. They can also plant mines, so if you camo near a mine you planted you can really f*** a tank's day up.

Edit: Forgot to mention there's a 25% damage/pen bonus for an ambush attack on top of the already improved damage and pen over regular zooks. So you can REALLY f*** a tank's day up.

Yeah, of course. The discussion was more whether there exist situation when improved zook damage on standard para squad makes zooking them up a reasonable choice.
28 Jun 2018, 12:28 PM

Yeah, of course. The discussion was more whether there exist situation when improved zook damage on standard para squad makes zooking them up a reasonable choice.

One can combine a bazooka and lmg.
28 Jun 2018, 12:39 PM

I don’t wanna pay 200 ammo for basoozka squad. They r too expensive

Airborne papas cheaper in my opinion
28 Jun 2018, 17:36 PM

I did know about the PSS mines and camouflage, but I did not know the camo bonus adds penetration and damage. I thought it only gave an accuracy bonus like WM ambush camoflauge.

That does make a convincing argument for PSS bazooka teams.

Dear Relic, please give CoH 3 tool tips that give numerical data on upgrades when you scroll over an upgrade, ability or veterancy bonus.
28 Jun 2018, 20:03 PM

I don’t wanna pay 200 ammo for basoozka squad. They r too expensive

Airborne papas cheaper in my opinion

What he was referring to is that for just a tiny bit more manpower you can have two squads of Rear Eschelon that can each carry two bazookas, for a total of four bazooka boys costing a total of 200 munitions. The bazookas cost the same per weapon, but you can get twice as many if you use REs as your platform.

2 Paratrooper bazookas are better than 2 Rear Eschelon bazookas, but 4 Rear Eschelon bazookas are better than two Paratrooper bazookas.
28 Jun 2018, 20:44 PM

Looks to me like the OP is talking about both.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★