Login

russian armor

Soviet strategy on semois

14 Oct 2013, 15:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2013, 02:18 AMBlovski

2 Ostruppen squads are the same cost as a conscript, stronger than a conscript (between them over 120% of the health, 80% of the DPS out of cover, 160% of the DPS if all models are in cover), and they can have one unit hold a building and another cap a point at the same time, or cap two points simultaneously. It's especially problematic on Semoskiy because there are so many buildings, and controlling buildings is a key part of the map.

I think in my Ostruppen whine thread Von Ivan posted some tips on how to play Semois against an Ostruppen spammer - sending your first engi to get the house by the fuel for instance. Those may be helpful if you're struggling against it on that map.

Yes, you're correct on the numbers according to the DPS chart values. The Ostruppen shouldn't be faced with a one conscript squad out in the open. Using molotovs will even the odds so you can't go off pure DPS or HP values. The Ostruppen lose DPS quickly because they get dropped pretty fast. Conscripts with PPSH's or elite infantry have no problem taking on Ostruppen. The annoyance of Ostruppen is when they get mixed in with higher value infantry. This makes it tough for a Soviet sniper to do any meaningful manpower drain on the enemy if you're taking out units only worth 10 MP. I'm not saying that Ostruppen are perfectly balanced at all, it's just they seem to be decently balanced for them being added (I know that relief infantry made them obtainable in the past) fairly recently.
19 Oct 2013, 23:30 PM

The problem with Semoskiy is that the german player does not need many MGs to lock the early game pretty solid. 2 is usualy enough.

And getting those MGs defeated in buildings just by molotovs is very expensive. You'll lose around 4 squad members for each 1 or 2 the MG42 loses.

The economy of that strategy is really bad even if yuou do correct flanking and draw fire.

Apart from M3/flamer, I don't see any options in the early game unless you can draw fire to a unit that is also in a building. But that's so situational you can't build a strategy on it.

Mid game is a different situation all together. For example the 120 mm mortar is excellent at it. The only problem is, that if you have ony strated routing out MGs in the middle game, the german player will have been sitting on a lot of ressources for a long time.

Sniping is generally ineffective, but did anyone try to use 2 snipers as a strategy. They might just cut it? It's expensive as hell, but OTOH if that dislodges the MG locked down parts of the map, it would be worth it.
20 Oct 2013, 14:11 PM

I haven't figured out how to win this map yet. I always seem to get caught at the choke points at the rivers, and it's hard to get reinforcements where they need to go since they have to take long walks to get there.

Has anyone figured out how to play this map yet? I have it vetoed for now...

jUST CAMP IN BUILDINGS AND CLAIM VICTORY!!
20 Oct 2013, 20:09 PM

if you can't flank buildings then 120mm mortar is your safe choice
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 19
Peru 7
unknown 5
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W