Login

russian armor

Soviet strategy on semois

6 Sep 2013, 01:26 AM

I haven't figured out how to win this map yet. I always seem to get caught at the choke points at the rivers, and it's hard to get reinforcements where they need to go since they have to take long walks to get there.

Has anyone figured out how to play this map yet? I have it vetoed for now...
6 Sep 2013, 01:50 AM

i start with 3 conscripts, Molotov, 4th conscript, then i begin mixing units as i see fit. prioritize on the east and west since the middle. its very, well unimportant as capping material. and a very strong zone for German mgs. i only get in there when i know i can root them out.

i got like 3 replays on semois i can upload them all if you want.
6 Sep 2013, 16:30 PM

My main recommendations are use the buildings to help make it hard for the Ostheer to get a basepin going, the green cover is a huge deal for early game engagements in the middle and put mines everywhere if you have spare munis. I think any build is kind of doable if you keep up your fuel control.
6 Sep 2013, 16:33 PM
Donator 11

I think the south fuel is the best one to try and hold no matter if you start north or south.

Definitely hold buildings, barb wire near south fuel and mine the roads!
6 Sep 2013, 17:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2013, 16:33 PMZ3r07
I think the south fuel is the best one to try and hold no matter if you start north or south.

Definitely hold buildings, barb wire near south fuel and mine the roads!

I agree. You need to focus on one side and stay in the buildings, because if you get pushed off even once, it's gg when they can just lock your bridge completely down with a single MG.
6 Sep 2013, 18:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2013, 17:05 PMlink0

I agree. You need to focus on one side and stay in the buildings, because if you get pushed off even once, it's gg when they can just lock your bridge completely down with a single MG.

More true on Langreskaya, imo.

Recovering from getting pushed off on this map is OK if you've kept stuff alive and have either indirect fire or snipers (or sometimes even just an M3) around, and you manage to get back on the map before the Ostheer build up too much fuel. T-70s work really well on this map as well.
8 Sep 2013, 01:35 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

Mortars are really helpful on this map. I often run with Guards Motor for the 120mm mortars anyway, and I often go up against them on this map as German. Use the buildings to your advantage. I find this map hard to win if I don't control the middle.
10 Sep 2013, 20:58 PM

For me here works 6xconsripts start. First and second consript im sending to capture houses near fuel, then im sitting here. Others 4x consripts capturing and attacking. Meanwhile saving fuel for t34, in that time im buying AT guns. So here i spam consripts, AT guns with T34. P.S. Im going Rifle guard doctrine for Ppsh and artillery.
10 Sep 2013, 22:58 PM

For me here works 6xconsripts start. First and second consript im sending to capture houses near fuel, then im sitting here. Others 4x consripts capturing and attacking. Meanwhile saving fuel for t34, in that time im buying AT guns. So here i spam consripts, AT guns with T34. P.S. Im going Rifle guard doctrine for Ppsh and artillery.

He said it. Go the VonIvan unbeatable Soviet strat. Shit out conscripts like it's your job, and cap all over the map. Go molotovs if they're camping buildings/ going MG-42. Get AT nades if they go fast 251/222. Your main priority should be cutting off and harassing their fuel. Fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel, can't stress this enough. With 5-7 conscripts + a combat engi you should have more than enough to both hold 1 fuel and harass their's continually.

Then tech t2 to t3 and get a fast T-34 or T-70 depending on the situation at that point. It's very similar to how Americans played this map in VCoH. Utilize your superior numbers to outcap the German and keep them moving around the battlefield. If you're completely base locked, I'd recommend going 120mm mortar to dislodge their mgs then push out ASAP, but you're really looking to be harassing so much it prevents them from getting you into a base lock situation as they have to move units around the map to recap.

Oh and mine up if you have spare munitions, it can really prevent a base lock before it even happens if their MG loses 2 guys before they even make it to the cut-off.
11 Sep 2013, 01:43 AM

The current patch will allow for a much greater success for conscript/molotov flanking based strats for Soviets on Semois.

The previous patch however I had a lot of success going 3 conscripts, camping key buildings and going T2 for the mortar. I would then proceed to get Guards or Shocks and basically just tech for T4 to get SU85/katuysha. Katuysha own on this map and its so easy to keep them alive.
12 Sep 2013, 18:34 PM

About "camping buildings"...what's the proper technique?

I assume you want to first capture the key point near the building, then get into the building to deal damage to the squad while they try and cap the point? Do you get out to stop the cap once you've dealt enough damage to give you the advantage? Or do you just wait them out and cap it back once they've retreated?

Either way...Whenever I try to use buildings like this, my opponent just goes past me and tries to cut me off from the point that I'm trying to protect. And then I'm forced to fight them outside anyway, but deeper in my own territory.

EDIT: I'm going to post this in the "Ask the Strategists" thread, so ignore it here.
12 Sep 2013, 20:24 PM
Donator 11

I'm not a top 100 player but here is my opinion.

Do you want to first capture the key point near the building, then get into the building to deal damage to the enemy squad once they arrive?

Yes, capture the point first but stay as close as the building's entrance as possible, if your enemy comes before you can cap it's still a good idea to go for the building, if your enemy stays and cap, you will deal that unit a lot more damage that he will deal to you, but unless you are at the very early game, be careful for rifle grenades, molotov and flamers.

When they do arrive? do you get out to stop the cap once you've dealt enough damage to give you the advantage in the engagement? Or do you just wait them out and cap it back once they're forced to retreat/soft-retreat?

wait them out and cap it back once they're forced to retreat/soft-retreat.

And what about when your opponent just runs past you and tries to cut you off instead? Chase him or stay in the building and continue to deny him that point?

Depends on the situation, I would probably get out and do the same, go cut off his point and let one my units that's closer to my base handle the unit that's at my cut-off. For the unit I sent to his cut-off, I would then bring it back to the building if they are in danger but early game it's fine to have a unit in a building but if you plan on pushing, then bring it along don't waste a unit in a building for nothing.
13 Sep 2013, 19:45 PM

I haven't figured out how to win this map yet. I always seem to get caught at the choke points at the rivers, and it's hard to get reinforcements where they need to go since they have to take long walks to get there.

Has anyone figured out how to play this map yet? I have it vetoed for now...

My main recommendation is going three conscripts to molotov. Build the T2 building and get a quick mortar out to help with breaking out of a MG42 base pin. The German player will often go straight for a basepin as early as possible and the mortar is key to breaking out.
13 Sep 2013, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Sep 2013, 17:05 PMlink0

I disagree that it is GG if you try harassing points and not keep beating your head against a wall and continually getting pinned by running headlong into the MG42. Going to T2 after 3 conscripts and molotovs and getting a mortar is key to breaking out. Early map control is key and not blobbing up. You should never have two conscript squads pinned by a single MG42.
13 Sep 2013, 19:50 PM

The current patch will allow for a much greater success for conscript/molotov flanking based strats for Soviets on Semois.

The previous patch however I had a lot of success going 3 conscripts, camping key buildings and going T2 for the mortar. I would then proceed to get Guards or Shocks and basically just tech for T4 to get SU85/katuysha. Katuysha own on this map and its so easy to keep them alive.

THIS. This is the strat I currently employ while almost always going for a mortar in T2. The mortar is key to not being pinned in your base for long periods of time. Although, I don't always go T4 depending on fuel. The T34 is actually a viable unit as of a month ago and the T70 is simply a monster vs infantry.
17 Sep 2013, 12:51 PM

Im not good soviet player, but here is a replay versus top50 german. I was going for 6xconsript start. Meybe i was lucky.

17 Sep 2013, 14:04 PM
Donator 11

Im not good soviet player, but here is a replay versus top50 german. I was going for 6xconsript start. Meybe i was lucky.

You are ranked 139, that's pretty good to me.
5 Oct 2013, 14:53 PM

He said it. Go the VonIvan unbeatable Soviet strat. Shit out conscripts like it's your job, and cap all over the map. Go molotovs if they're camping buildings/ going MG-42. Get AT nades if they go fast 251/222. Your main priority should be cutting off and harassing their fuel. Fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel, can't stress this enough. With 5-7 conscripts + a combat engi you should have more than enough to both hold 1 fuel and harass their's continually.

Then tech t2 to t3 and get a fast T-34 or T-70 depending on the situation at that point. It's very similar to how Americans played this map in VCoH. Utilize your superior numbers to outcap the German and keep them moving around the battlefield. If you're completely base locked, I'd recommend going 120mm mortar to dislodge their mgs then push out ASAP, but you're really looking to be harassing so much it prevents them from getting you into a base lock situation as they have to move units around the map to recap.

Oh and mine up if you have spare munitions, it can really prevent a base lock before it even happens if their MG loses 2 guys before they even make it to the cut-off.

forget the superior numbers ..meet the Ostruppen spammers they shit those babies out straight onto the map no build time required.
11 Oct 2013, 21:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2013, 14:53 PMGenMe

forget the superior numbers ..meet the Ostruppen spammers they shit those babies out straight onto the map no build time required.

The Ostruppen are easy to kill and cannot fire on the move. Plus they cap at half speed now. They aren't a huge deal to contend with.
12 Oct 2013, 02:18 AM

The Ostruppen are easy to kill and cannot fire on the move. Plus they cap at half speed now. They aren't a huge deal to contend with.

2 Ostruppen squads are the same cost as a conscript, stronger than a conscript (between them over 120% of the health, 80% of the DPS out of cover, 160% of the DPS if all models are in cover), and they can have one unit hold a building and another cap a point at the same time, or cap two points simultaneously. It's especially problematic on Semoskiy because there are so many buildings, and controlling buildings is a key part of the map.

I think in my Ostruppen whine thread Von Ivan posted some tips on how to play Semois against an Ostruppen spammer - sending your first engi to get the house by the fuel for instance. Those may be helpful if you're struggling against it on that map.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 42
Germany 666
Netherlands 18

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak