Login

russian armor

New Modder, could use some tips!

22 May 2018, 19:20 PM

Hi everyone :D

So yeah, exactly what it says on the tin, i just decided to start modding coh2, and i have a very basic question.

I've watched Eliwood's tutorials, downloaded the tools, and done the squad size edit, but then i immediately hit a wall.

I can't seem to alter the line of sight/vision values at all... and this is kind of the main thing i'm interested in :( i've changed every stat in the sight_ext category for multiple squads and seen no effect no matter what value i changed, and no matter what i changed the values to... do i need to change something in the SCAR files for it to work?
22 May 2018, 19:45 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Welcome on the forum!

Yes, the vision can be edited in a tuning pack. You already found the right category: sight_ext. The exact value that needs the change is "sight_ext\sight_package\outer_radius".

Did you clone the files while keeping the same name? That is very important.
22 May 2018, 22:45 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The sight for units can be found in the EBPS category. Thats where you can set all the basic stuff for units like weapons, health, etc. After that, follow Mr. Eye's instruction.
23 May 2018, 12:37 PM

Yes i cloned the unit while keeping the name, should i make a new unit instead for it to work?

Apart from that i can see i have done everything right so far, yay! :D
23 May 2018, 12:48 PM

nope, changing the name of the clone did not do the trick either :(
23 May 2018, 12:56 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You should keep the name the same, otherwise you have to link the new soldiers to a squad and then to a building.

From the tutorial:
If you don't change the name of the unit while cloning it, the original unit which is being cloned will be overridden by this clone. This allows you to edit existing units.
However, if you choose to change the name of the unit, a new unit will be created instead.

I'll just ask some basic questions to be sure, because all your steps seem right.

- Does the build succeed? Can you verify the modified date of the .sga files?
- Have you selected the right tuningpack in the custom gameoptions? and do you use a custom win condition at the same time?
23 May 2018, 13:55 PM

sure, thanks for the effort ^^

the build succeeds, and the number of troops pr. squad are altered as intended.
I have selected the right tuning pack, and yes i'm running BK's high zoom and extra pop-cap win conditions, i guess that might be it..
23 May 2018, 13:58 PM

okay, just turned it off and used regular vp win conditions, but the sight values are still unaltered.
23 May 2018, 14:05 PM

holy shit i did it! i turned off the vp and edited the pioneer_mp as well (had previously only worked on the grenadiers, and hence only edited all the grenadiers files).

So how is this explained? did the win conditions pack interfere with my mod?
It's just weird since that win condition pack never interferes with spearhead or kriegspiel or any of the other mods...
Would really like this explained once you get the time Sneakeye, and thanks again for the responses! :D
23 May 2018, 15:18 PM

man this is so weird... so the pioneers now have 150m vision range as intended, but no matter what i do to the grenadiers they maintain vanilla sight values, even if i copy-paste the exact same values from the pioneers to the grenadiers line for line.
23 May 2018, 15:29 PM

huh... deleting all the grenadier clones, saving, then re-creating them with the same values and saving again finally did the trick... must have messed with something i shouldn't have messed with i guess... thanks for the replies Sneakeye, they kept me going :) more will likely follow!
23 May 2018, 16:54 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Well done! Keep trying is the best to make great mods!

The ID's are difficult to handle sometimes. You can view this ID at the bottom of the file, called "pbgid", to verify that it's the same or not.
23 May 2018, 17:49 PM

ah thanks! that's great advice!

Thanks for the tips, i'll see how far i can get without further help now, but don't be surprised if i come creeping for more ^^
25 May 2018, 10:08 AM

hey again.

So this time i tried giving wehrmacht grenadiers an mg34, and after a few fruitless attempts my mod stopped working all together. doesn't show up in the options tab in-game anymore, so i suspect i messed something up, and figured i should probably ask if this is even possible in the first place?

for clarification, I tried using eliwoods method of changing the sga file for the grenadiers, and then copied the upgrade_ext and weapon_ext files into the german tree by cloning them and changing their names from west_german to just german (or axis, in the upgrade case, since that was the appropriate name in that category).

Is it possible? If so, what am i doing wrong?
25 May 2018, 10:48 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

hey again.

So this time i tried giving wehrmacht grenadiers an mg34, and after a few fruitless attempts my mod stopped working all together. doesn't show up in the options tab in-game anymore, so i suspect i messed something up, and figured i should probably ask if this is even possible in the first place?

for clarification, I tried using eliwoods method of changing the sga file for the grenadiers, and then copied the upgrade_ext and weapon_ext files into the german tree by cloning them and changing their names from west_german to just german (or axis, in the upgrade case, since that was the appropriate name in that category).

Is it possible? If so, what am i doing wrong?

Welcome to the modding forum! First of all, please read our very short posting guidelines. If you start a new topic for each of your questions and give it a helpful title, other people can find them more easily and you'll get help faster.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Clone the Grenadier squad's "squad_upgrade_ext" while keeping the squad's name.
2. In there, open "upgrades" and add "upgrade\west_german\items\waffen_mg34_lmg_mp".

Good luck with your projects! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
25 May 2018, 11:23 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

doesn't show up in the options tab in-game anymore

I think you edited a file which isn't allowed/supported like .mua, .sua or .sga. Only .abp's may be edited. Did you edit the .abp? Can you post the lines that you added?

Although, the steps which Planet Smasher describes are all you need. The mg34 is global available for all units since it's included in the completemotiontree.abp.
26 May 2018, 11:05 AM

thx guys, and no i copied all the files for the mg34 (.sua .mua .sga ect.) into a replica of it's original document folder except with west_german changed to just german because i assumed it was faction specific... which permanently broke my mod...
thankfully, it will be a lot faster to rebuild it now that i know what to do.

here's the entire abp file for my grenadiers as of current:

--3DSMax Toolset Generated: abp_functions.ms--

model =
{
"..\\..\\..\\Common\\CompleteMotionTree.abp",
"..\\..\\weapons\\stielgranate\\stielgranate",
"..\\..\\weapons\\rifle_kar98\\rifle_kar98",
"..\\..\\weapons\\rifle_grenade_launcher\\rifle_grenade_launcher",
"..\\..\\weapons\\riflegrenade_ggp40\\riflegrenade_ggp40",
"..\\..\\weapons\\rifle_g43_sniper\\rifle_g43_sniper",
"..\\..\\weapons\\smg_mp40\\smg_mp40",
"..\\..\\weapons\\lmg_mg34\\lmg_mg34",
"..\\..\\weapons\\panzerfaust_100\\panzerfaust_100",
"..\\..\\..\\common\\props\\medic_kit\\medic_kit",
"grenadier",
}

and i will make new topics in the future.
26 May 2018, 16:23 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Looks good! You can remove the line for the MG34 from the abp file though, as it is already included in the CompleteMotionTree, which is loaded by the abp.

The CompleteMotionTree includes all the stuff that every infantry model needs, such as weapons that can be dropped and picked up.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight