Login

russian armor

Frostpunk

25 Apr 2018, 20:27 PM

Hey guys, 11 bit Studio, the developers of This War of Mine, just released Frostpunk on steam. I'd really recommend it as its a great city builder that can get really hard at higher difficulties.

The synopsis of the game is that the earth has gone through a great cooling into brutally cold temperatures. As the "captain" your job is to provide and keep the "City" alive through any means possible. It really puts a great turn on the whole City Builder genre with a great apocalyptic setting. Currently its selling at $30 dollars on steam, I'd love to hear stories about how you kept your city alive!

26 Apr 2018, 07:18 AM

Finished Frostpunk last night, never thought a "city builder" game could have such an intense finale :p

I never played This War Of Mine but I have seen the overwhelmingly positive reviews it got and is regarded as a masterpiece by many. Expectations for Frostpunk were naturally high because of that and imo the devs delivered.

I liked the smaller city scale compared to Tropico and Cities Skylines like games for example were you can expand almost indefinitely. The realistic lack of easily obtainable resources and most importantly the small number of survivors is very limiting at times and personally I like such constraining factors in city building where you have to optimize on resources and personnel.

The laws add interesting moral choices and people have to find a balance between pragmatism and idealism to maintain their city. Short term or long term solutions? The game tips warn about unforeseeable consequences tied to every law you sign that might come to haunt you one day.

Some people seem a bit disgruntled about the shortness of the main story and the fact that there seems to be no sandbox (snowbox Kappa) mode at the moment at least. This is not a normal city builder and the story and atmosphere take priority and I think its a good thing. I think sandbox mode would remove some of the anxiety and stress factors tied to the main story that make it so exciting especially on the first time around.

As for the main story's finale I was optimistic since by my own standards I had done "right" moral choices and had done a ton of exploring and whatnot. If people are familiar with Mass Effects 2's finale and how you can prepare for the Suicide Mission I was expecting something similar. When I started the Suicide Mission well prepared in Mass Effect 2 I had confidence that everything would be alright, even on the first playthrough. I did not have this feeling with Frostpunk. Instead I felt like punched in the gut and a genuine sense of powerlessness and despair when I started to see many might not survive the final (real life) hours after all the work I had put into keeping everyone as safe as possible.

Nonetheless the awesome soundtrack and a chilling wind coming out of speakers at full blast as the world darkened was an extremely memorable experience. Definitely going to replay the main story again with different choices in the future! 9/10

(PS. Remember to sometimes stop / put the game on slowest speed to appreciate the cool animations, lighting and awesome steampunk contraptions, you might miss a lot of the atmosphere of the game if you don't zoom into the icy streets of New London from time to time :D )
26 Apr 2018, 07:50 AM

snip

One thing to note is that This War of Mine got a sandbox/custom mode a bit after release, so it might still happen
26 Apr 2018, 08:04 AM

One thing to note is that This War of Mine got a sandbox/custom mode a bit after release, so it might still happen

Ah didn't know that. I still think sandbox mode without the time restraints from a story might not be as exciting as other city building sandboxes and it might require quite a bit of work to have enough random stuff like blizzards and civil unrest to keep it as interesting as other city builders. I don't think a simple "Last Stand" would be too interesting since after a certain temperature level drop everyone would just rapidly succumb to the cold without much ability to do anything so good pacing between extreme cold and recovery periods would be needed. Nonetheless extra stuff is always nice.

Then again you might have noticed as well a few places of interest in the Frostlands that would be intriguing places for DLC content and a change to show off more steampunk stuff. That is why I'm more in favor of content that has more emphasis on storytelling and perhaps the possible implementation of sandbox mode should not be rushed.
26 Apr 2018, 14:33 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I went full evil nazi overlord and forced the peasants to work 24/7 in the coalmines during the finale, I thought they would understand it was a life and death situation. They kicked me out into the blizzard :clap:
26 Apr 2018, 15:34 PM

Completed the hipster colony scenario. Nothing like putting everything on autopilot, sit back, have a few pints and wait for armageddon :romeoMug:

All that with maximum hope and zero discontent.

Btw what difficulty did you play and how many survived your rule?
26 Apr 2018, 16:22 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

On the New Hope campaign I failed the first try during the finale by getting banished, though everyone would have starved to death anyways. Second one was much easier when I knew what I wanted to do. I played at default both times, I think I saved most of my people. I went full Snow Jesus and accepted all settlers in, including like 200 ill and 100 gravely wounded, so a bunch of them died. I saved about 550.

For the seed ark mission I'm playing on hard, seems to be going well so far.

Did you do Order or the church one? I found the church one to be much easier.
26 Apr 2018, 17:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2018, 16:22 PMTobis
On the New Hope campaign I failed the first try during the finale by getting banished, though everyone would have starved to death anyways. Second one was much easier when I knew what I wanted to do. I played at default both times, I think I saved most of my people. I went full Snow Jesus and accepted all settlers in, including like 200 ill and 100 gravely wounded, so a bunch of them died. I saved about 550.

For the seed ark mission I'm playing on hard, seems to be going well so far.

Did you do Order or the church one? I found the church one to be much easier.

I chose Faith since it seemed more reasonable. I always tried to keep hope as high as possible and it seemed like a safer choice for a 0 death run. I ignored the harsher methods on that as well but I saw the New Faith Law at the end of the tree but didn't go too far to see the description of it :p

Best of luck with the Arks side mission on hard, I know I would have failed it the first time if I had chosen the hardest difficulty :thumb:

But how did you get banished? I saw a streamer doing public executions and sending tens of people to death in the mines right at the final hours and he managed to stay in power despite the over-the-top dictatorship.
26 Apr 2018, 19:38 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I chose Faith since it seemed more reasonable. I always tried to keep hope as high as possible and it seemed like a safer choice for a 0 death run. I ignored the harsher methods on that as well but I saw the New Faith Law at the end of the tree but didn't go too far to see the description of it :p

Best of luck with the Arks side mission on hard, I know I would have failed it the first time if I had chosen the hardest difficulty :thumb:

But how did you get banished? I saw a streamer doing public executions and sending tens of people to death in the mines right at the final hours and he managed to stay in power despite the over-the-top dictatorship.

Max discontent for too long. I thought because it was the finale it would be ok to make them work in the mines with 24 hour shifts because their lives depended on that fuel. Didn't expect them to really kick me out.

Order seemed way less useful. With the faith path the buildings you got had nice bonuses, particularly the soup kitchens. Order didn't have anything like that.

26 Apr 2018, 20:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2018, 19:38 PMTobis

Max discontent for too long. I thought because it was the finale it would be ok to make them work in the mines with 24 hour shifts because their lives depended on that fuel. Didn't expect them to really kick me out.

Order seemed way less useful. With the faith path the buildings you got had nice bonuses, particularly the soup kitchens. Order didn't have anything like that.

For some reason I expected something more in the lines of "New and improved" rather than that :foreveralone:

Btw I heard rumours about a permanent source of steam cores but never stumbled upon it. Would have wanted a lot more automatons in my city but was very resource strapped for those. Did you happen to find anything related to that?

26 Apr 2018, 20:39 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

For some reason I expected something more in the lines of "New and improved" rather than that :foreveralone:

Btw I heard rumours about a permanent source of steam cores but never stumbled upon it. Would have wanted a lot more automatons in my city but was very resource strapped for those. Did you happen to find anything related to that?

Tesla City spoiler
26 Apr 2018, 23:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2018, 20:39 PMTobis

Tesla City spoiler

I succeeded on my third try, around half my population died due to the generator almost going down on overdrive, I also worked my coal people 24/7 but kept discontent down by public executions.

I’m hoping to see both a winter home and Tesla city expansion and I have also heard that you can get a permanent steam core supply their also, I’m guessing it’s pretty rare.
26 Apr 2018, 23:07 PM

Also found the game pretty solid, haven't finished though.

If you enjoy city management you may like: LIF: Forest Village, Planetbase or Banished. All great titles within that genre.
27 Apr 2018, 07:09 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Apr 2018, 20:39 PMTobis

Tesla City spoiler

27 Apr 2018, 22:56 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

After a lot of trial and error, I figured out how to beat the Arcs on hard. I think I restarted 5 times.

Tips that make the game way easier
28 Apr 2018, 02:26 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Loved this game myself. Finished the first two scenarios :D.

Heres part 1 of the first mission of my play through:

28 Apr 2018, 13:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Apr 2018, 22:56 PMTobis
After a lot of trial and error, I figured out how to beat the Arcs on hard. I think I restarted 5 times.

Tips that make the game way easier

My take on research that was sufficient on medium runs on all scenarios:

PS. I found the last scenario to be the most challenging to do the "right way" and I have serious doubts it is doable on the first try on hard if one is going in blind. Then again I don't mind replaying at all since I want to test out different research and different Law choices and start optimizing building placements and tech tree choices :D

30 Apr 2018, 20:51 PM

I hate all you people.
Now I need this game. Sigh

Resolution : Stop buying games in 2018. Crossing it off...
30 Apr 2018, 21:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Is anyone able to finish the refugee mission on hard? I'm having a ridiculous time dealing with all the sick people.
1 May 2018, 18:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2018, 21:47 PMTobis
Is anyone able to finish the refugee mission on hard? I'm having a ridiculous time dealing with all the sick people.

I have yet to finish it on hard, just finished the main story on hard saving everyone.

What path did you go, Faith or Order?

At least on the main story Houses Of Healing and Infirmaries were enough and I'm gonna try the same style with the Refugees mission. Extra Rations for the Ill is so damn helpful in sorting through masses of sick. The few hours it takes off from treatment times starts to add up especially if you have supplies to spam it daily.

As a sidenote I feel Order could use some extra stuff/abilities/buffs to incentivize picking it. Faith seems to have a lot more utility and can help you in so many different aspects from work efficiency to Heating.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★