Login

russian armor

New Sega Ownership - shareholders

20 Apr 2018, 04:16 AM
Patrion 310

Some Sega News.
A big change of the ownership of Sega + Atlus.
The now-former major shareholder Hajime Satomi has "transferred" (sold) shares to his family run HS company.

The current CEO of Sega is Haruki Satomi which is the grandson of Hajime Satomi.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/haruki-satomi-2b84b65
Hajime Satomi, #38 Japan's 50 Richest (2015)
http://www.forbes.com/profile/hajime-satomi/
Tatsuyuki Miyazaki, CEO Sega of America
https://www.linkedin.com/in/tatsuyuki-miyazaki-4150029

SEGA Sammy sees major change in shareholders
http://www.seganerds.com/2018/02/14/sega-sammy-sees-major-change-in-shareholders/
The SEGA Sammy Company has recently announced a major change in shareholders.

Current Chairman and CEO, Hajime Satomi, will no longer be the major shareholder of SEGA Sammy. Instead it will go to his family company, HS Company. Below is a table showing the change in shares from each respective company and person.

Hajime Satomi has now become the fifth major shareholder of the company with 7.72 million shares while HS Company has jumped from fourth to first with 35.3 million shares.

The change in shares is because of SEGA Sammy’s recent slump in sales. As stated, SEGA’s mobile division and Sammy’s pachinko business have been under performing and the company has been losing money drastically. SEGA Sammy stated that the management structure and business performance will not be affected with the change of shareholders.

[Source: SEGA Sammy]
20 Apr 2018, 06:46 AM

Ah crap, after looking at the picture I thought Bella Thorne will be part of this community.

Shame on you :-(
20 Apr 2018, 07:18 AM
Strategist Badge

Thing is Sega has a good half of the business, they could make so money out of computer games but they keep this stupid traditional half of their gaming empire sitting there.

Hopefully some young more freethinking blood will come in and break the damn thing up a little.
20 Apr 2018, 11:26 AM

Thing is Sega has a good half of the business, they could make so money out of computer games but they keep this stupid traditional half of their gaming empire sitting there.

Hopefully some young more freethinking blood will come in and break the damn thing up a little.

That young freethinking blood is what made games into a business instead of just letting it be an entertainment industry.

There was no DLC, politics or religion in games before the 2010s or at least they weren't as prominent.

Feminists crying about a Medieval game? Check.

Liberals crying about Farcry 5 for not portraying the right as bad enough? Check.

EA trying to milk their customers? Check.

What year are we? Sure as hell ain't 2008 I can tell you as much.
20 Apr 2018, 11:32 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

08' man. LoL wasn't even a thing. CoD4 coming out. Starcraft still 10 years old and kicking. The film Avatar came out. Avatar the last airbender finished its run. Absolute breathtaking The Dark Knight film came out and showed everyone how to showcase a perfect movie intro and a perfect movie villain. What a time
20 Apr 2018, 12:58 PM
Strategist Badge

That young freethinking blood is what made games into a business instead of just letting it be an entertainment industry.

There was no DLC, politics or religion in games before the 2010s or at least they weren't as prominent.

Liberals crying about Farcry 5 for not portraying the right as bad enough? Check.

What are you talking about?

You saying young people are shit or something?

20 Apr 2018, 14:48 PM

*Rubs hands together*

The flamewar begins...
20 Apr 2018, 15:08 PM

And here I miss the 90s when half life was new... and Q3A...
20 Apr 2018, 16:27 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Rose-tinted spectacles, surely? :unsure:

I only joined the web in 2003. By then it was evident that the 'meeting of minds' was becoming tainted. Many still argued for free interchange and despised companies which charged for virus protection. The concept of a troll was becoming alarming, but was in its infancy. Why would anybody want to join the free-thinking web just to spoil people's interactions? Sadly, I think we now know the answer to that one.

As games advanced in their intricacy, e.g. COH1 , and you could make serious money from them, it was only too evident that profit would take over from noble intent.

The growth of gaming is exponential:and it carries with it all the good and bad of the civilisations from which the web was originally detached, but from where the users emanate. Let's face it: the web as envisaged is now corrupted and merely an extension of ordinary civil life.

Social media will doubtless be the final nail in the coffin of a separate universe of freewheeling, freespeaking minds.
20 Apr 2018, 16:56 PM

Rose-tinted spectacles, surely? :unsure:

I only joined the web in 2003. By then it was evident that the 'meeting of minds' was becoming tainted. Many still argued for free interchange and despised companies which charged for virus protection. The concept of a troll was becoming alarming, but was in its infancy. Why would anybody want to join the free-thinking web just to spoil people's interactions? Sadly, I think we now know the answer to that one.

As games advanced in their intricacy, e.g. COH1 , and you could make serious money from them, it was only too evident that profit would take over from noble intent.

The growth of gaming is exponential:and it carries with it all the good and bad of the civilisations from which the web was originally detached, but from where the users emanate. Let's face it: the web as envisaged is now corrupted and merely an extension of ordinary civil life.

Social media will doubtless be the final nail in the coffin of a separate universe of freewheeling, freespeaking minds.

Surely you jest my good sir.

I only got called a Nazi for the first time in my life (half of it spent on the internet) back in 2016 when I announced my support for Trump.

Trolls? Sure, but never being demonized over having an opinion.
20 Apr 2018, 17:02 PM

This happened back in February. Basically what you are seeing is the grandson is moving their holdings to their family run management company as a way to protect stock value over what will be a rough times ahead for Sega. Sega boasts a PE ratio (price to earnings) of around 75 (avg) across markets. What that means is the price of the stock is overvalued compared to their earnings. This is not good. Low PE = Good. High PE = Bad. So in anticipation of rough times ahead, they are ensuring certain shares will not be sold, which would continue to drive the stock price down for current shareholders.

A.Soldier, who explained himself a bit harshly did have a point. He is young. He is also third generation. There is an old adage in business, First and Second generations succeed, and third generation of family businesses usually fails. When you have a young CEO like say Zuckerberg, investors will have more faith in him as the creator of a product than a young guy who got the job because of a family relation. Typically, young men do not make good CEOs of MASSIVE companies like Sega(450 Billion market cap) because they simply lack experience. Sega is losing money hand over fist. Stock prices are overvalued across markets and Sega's market cap will drop. Investors will see blood in the water and Sega will have to continue to restructure before they can right the ship.

This seems like phase one. I think I saw they weren't planning on firing or shutting projects down but that is usually the next step.

*Addition: I forgot to mention voting rights. Basically the largest shareholders have the most voting power on company decisions. When a company goes public, they are giving control of the company to the 'investors' or executive board. Moving their shares into their private holding company made it the largest holder of total votes. Helping to ensure the business stays in the family.

**What this means for Relic: *If* Relic is profitable, which I ASSUME in COH2's case, it is - Then they probably wouldn't have much to worry about. If anything would change, my guess is it would be some personnel consolidation type things but they would continue to operate and develop. Sega isn't traded in US markets so there really isn't much data to look at (that I could find) other than very vague financials from Sega so its difficult to give a more accurate assessment. I don't really keep up on Relic personnel changes but its possible this already has occurred/occurring since the initial report in Feb 2018.
20 Apr 2018, 17:26 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Surely you jest my good sir.

I only got called a Nazi for the first time in my life (half of it spent on the internet) back in 2016 when I announced my support for Trump.

Trolls? Sure, but never being demonized over having an opinion.

'Godwin's law'? 'Occam's Razor'?If you only encountered these concepts 2 years ago, you're lucky. ;)
20 Apr 2018, 18:21 PM
Benefactor 115

Man annoyed at politics in video games brings politics into video game thread.

The lack of self awareness is truly outstanding.
20 Apr 2018, 19:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2018, 14:48 PMSwift
*Rubs hands together*

The flamewar begins...

Prepare yourself. Your hammer must be waxed and its handle stiffened, for you will have quite the job set out for you in this thread lol.
20 Apr 2018, 21:40 PM

You're all very funny. Now stop flaming each other and get back to topic.
20 Apr 2018, 21:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Apr 2018, 21:40 PMSwift
You're all very funny. Now stop flaming each other and get back to topic.

Yeah we're all very funny when there's some mofos trying to be smartasses by starting shit but sure just make everything invisible like it never happened.

And then they ask why this world and the internet took a turn in the 2010s with all of this sensitivity bull.

You can protect the guy on here but he's gonna run his mouth off out in public one day like that and he's gonna get what's coming to em.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 5

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight