Login

russian armor

Is there a way to view coh2 replays other that ingame?

5 Apr 2018, 15:26 PM

Like on a media player for example?

If so, what is the best media player to use?

Thank you
5 Apr 2018, 15:30 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

As far as I know that isn't possible
5 Apr 2018, 16:01 PM
Senior Editor Badge

That's probably not what you are looking for, but if you just quickly want to check what units have been build and so on, you can use this tool.
5 Apr 2018, 18:11 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

The replay file is basically a list of all commands executed that runs through the game. When you load up the file in a replay it's the ai executing all the same commands with the same rng rolls happening (basically). There's really no other way to play these without the game.
5 Apr 2018, 19:24 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2018, 18:11 PMTobis
The replay file is basically a list of all commands executed that runs through the game. When you load up the file in a replay it's the ai executing all the same commands with the same rng rolls happening (basically). There's really no other way to play these without the game.

Just would like to add one thing. A game in the version that was used to play the match is needed. One can play it in other version, but as the game is being replayed live, different stats will couse different outcome or a desync. That is why replays from different versions are hidden unless you run the game with some special parameter.

Also, in case OP would wonder about that, the game uses pseudorandom algorithm for the generation of rng rolls, so the file doesnt have to contain results of rng rolls, it simply contains the initial seed.
5 Apr 2018, 22:19 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

Damn what a nice insight. Always wondered how replays actually work
5 Apr 2018, 22:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Apr 2018, 18:11 PMTobis

That seems like a really complicated way to do replays.
5 Apr 2018, 22:25 PM
Donator 11

As far as I know all rts games do that the same way. Why do you think it's complicated? Did you come up with a better idea?
5 Apr 2018, 22:29 PM

As far as I know all rts games do that the same way. Why do you think it's complicated? Did you come up with a better idea?

idk I'm not really someone who would understand this type of stuff I guess it makes the most sense instead of other alternatives

just seems to limit possible 3rd party replay programs you see in other genres
5 Apr 2018, 22:29 PM

It is not. In fact this technique is extremly efficient. If you look at the demo file, it is usually around 100kb big. And that is for a file that represents a Full HD "video" with lengths of up to an hour and more.

Movies like this are usually about 5-6 GB big. That is more than 80.000 times the file size.

Instead of telling the screen each frame (usually 60 per second) the position of each and every pixel, you can simply say "Gren Squad moved from Position A to B at 0:12" and that's it.
5 Apr 2018, 22:33 PM

It is not. In fact this technique is extremly efficient. If you look at the demo file, it is usually around 100kb big. And that is for a file that represents a Full HD "video" with lengths of up to an hour and more.

Movies like this are usually about 5-6 GB big. That is more than 80.000 times the file size.

Instead of telling the screen each frame (usually 60 per second) the position of each and every pixel, you can simply say "Gren Squad moved from Position A to B at 0:12" and that's it.

huh I never thought about it that way, so basically, instead of trying to upload a file with all the gameplay in it it just has commands to "replay" the match while keeping the file small.

Thanks, Ive never been that good at this stuff so its nice to learn about it.
5 Apr 2018, 22:40 PM

huh I never thought about it that way, so basically, instead of trying to upload a file with all the gameplay in it it just has commands to "replay" the match while keeping the file small.

Thanks, Ive never been that good at this stuff so its nice to learn about it.

You're welcome! :) I also find that topic quite interesting.

Of course the file is not written like a book, but the basic things apply.

I think the file probably has some kind of a header where the basic information is stored, like player name, ID, faction, loadout, map, etc. And then there's the content which contains the "replay"

It probably is more something like this:

Player0|1|AMove|22.54,12.99|121

From left to right this would then be

ID of the player | ID of the unit of selected player | Command Type | Coordinates | Timestamp

As I never looked to these files, this is probably wrong in terms of markup. But the theory is probably correct :) (Also there are probably a lot more contents aswell)
5 Apr 2018, 22:53 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

It's too simple tbh. That's why you can't rewind.
6 Apr 2018, 05:13 AM

This method of replay has been around since the original Doom, if not earlier. Great way, but unfortunately, no way to go "backward".
6 Apr 2018, 07:15 AM

This method of replay has been around since the original Doom, if not earlier. Great way, but unfortunately, no way to go "backward".

As far as I know, Age of Empires and League of Legends can.
6 Apr 2018, 07:35 AM

As far as I know, Age of Empires and League of Legends can.

Because they do not use same methods nor damage the map in permanent way.
There are 2 ways to do replays, what coh does with list of commands being executed in an order(and RNG outcomes playing as they did), or pretty much a 'video' kind of thing akin to SC2 replays.
6 Apr 2018, 07:45 AM

This is correct, I didn't think about this.
6 Apr 2018, 10:11 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

There are 2 ways to do replays, what coh does with list of commands being executed in an order(and RNG outcomes playing as they did), or pretty much a 'video' kind of thing akin to SC2 replays.

But as you recall, there was a video playback version for COH1, which was not translated onto the Steam version of COH1, and video replays never appeared on COH2 at all. :(

Why would that be, do you think? :unsure:
6 Apr 2018, 10:21 AM

For people interested in this type of subject, have a gander on Google about Deterministic Gameplay.
6 Apr 2018, 10:58 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

But as you recall, there was a video playback version for COH1, which was not translated onto the Steam version of COH1, and video replays never appeared on COH2 at all. :(

Why would that be, do you think? :unsure:

We didn't even get a proper replay overlay for months after the game came out.

What a sorry state the game was back then.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★