Login

russian armor

The age-old double soviet sniper conundrum

12 Mar 2018, 13:06 PM

I know this is not exactly an original observation, but it seems to me that something is just a bit off about the bullet resilience especially for the soviet sniper teams. At this point I think I can count on two hands the times I have chased a retreating sniper team across the map with a 222, all the way into the base without being able to wipe it (and subsequently loose the 222 to a hail of AT grenades and PTRS rounds).

I figured I try the strategy out myself and found that I could punch significantly above my weight on many “sniper friendly” maps. More than once this has led to an opponent throwing an insult before rage quitting, but unlike most other cases I don’t really feel that I can hold this saltiness against them.

Am I doing something wrong/right or are the soviet sniper team just a little too powerful compared to what they are facing in the early/mid game? Especially the amount of times they are able to cheat death on retreat, even when chased by a scout car or intercepted by infantry seems to be just a tad over the top.
12 Mar 2018, 13:07 PM

Impossible to tell without actual replay to see.

Only situation where they are more forgiving are sniper wars, all other situations, they will go down just as any other sniper would.
12 Mar 2018, 13:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Mar 2018, 13:07 PMKatitof
Impossible to tell without actual replay to see.

Only situation where they are more forgiving are sniper wars, all other situations, they will go down just as any other sniper would.

Don't they still have 80 health per model like any other unit? Or do they have the same combined health as a single unit Brit/wehr sniper?
12 Mar 2018, 13:46 PM

I just double checked and it seems I was a bit of. Wehr sniper has 82 health and sov has 64 per model for a unit total of 128.

Does the armor and recieved accuracy make the two units effectively similar vs small arms fire? And even if this is the case would that not still mean that the soviets are more resistant to explosions and fire for example?
12 Mar 2018, 13:56 PM

I just double checked and it seems I was a bit of. Wehr sniper has 82 health and sov has 64 per model for a unit total of 128.

Does the armor and recieved accuracy make the two units effectively similar vs small arms fire? And even if this is the case would that not still mean that the soviets are more resistant to explosions and fire for example?

They are more resistent against small arms fire, but against explosives both yes and no, generally no. Ost sniper will survive a direct nade or mortar shell to the face, sov snipers will go down to one between them, but might have more luck vs med tank shots.

Neither gets armor or rec acc bonuses and neither have it below 1, small arms actually have Bonus accuracy(1.15 target size) against snipers for some time now, but 222 itself(its mg34) has acc epnalty vs snipers(it would murder them in a blink previously) and its coax isnt that good at vet0(it scales pretty well though with vet).

If you want to kill snipers with 222, its better to force them off the field and get 222 into the base to kill them there or just use long flank with infantry.
12 Mar 2018, 14:15 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Snipers and garrisons are treated well from post #4 onwards. Snipers can get bonuses in this situation.
12 Mar 2018, 14:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Mar 2018, 13:56 PMKatitof

They are more resistent against small arms fire, but against explosives both yes and no, generally no. Ost sniper will survive a direct nade or mortar shell to the face, sov snipers will go down to one between them, but might have more luck vs med tank shots.

Neither gets armor or rec acc bonuses and neither have it below 1, small arms actually have Bonus accuracy(1.15 target size) against snipers for some time now, but 222 itself(its mg34) has acc epnalty vs snipers(it would murder them in a blink previously) and its coax isnt that good at vet0(it scales pretty well though with vet).

If you want to kill snipers with 222, its better to force them off the field and get 222 into the base to kill them there or just use long flank with infantry.

Well this is kind of my point that it seems like it often takes a disproportionate amount of effort to wipe a soviet sniper with the available tools that the germans have at their disposal throughout of much of the early and mid game.

I hope this does not come of as salty, because this seems to be my experience whether I'm facing or using this strategy. If a wehr player has to push a 222 all the way into base or hope for a lucky flank, it takes a lot more luck and strategic calculation than it does for a semi-conservative use of the soviet sniper.

But I'm open to the possibility that I might be suffering from confirmation bias and need to collect more data to verify this hypothesis :)
12 Mar 2018, 14:29 PM

Snipers and garrisons are treated well from post #4 onwards. Snipers can get bonuses in this situation.

That is some interesting info, that I did actually not know, but I'm not sure how this fits into my original question? :)
12 Mar 2018, 14:53 PM

Both sniper seem to be problematic, with the Soviet team being more problematic.

The approach of making the sniper rifle un-transferable and SR bonus available to team-member only seems solid.

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Mar 2018, 13:56 PMKatitof

Neither gets armor or rec acc bonuses and neither have it below 1, small arms actually have Bonus accuracy(1.15 target size) against snipers for some time now, but 222 itself (its mg34) has acc epnalty vs snipers(it would murder them in a blink previously) and its coax isnt that good at vet0(it scales pretty well though with vet).

The information that small arms have bonus accuracy vs snipers is misleading. Pls elaborate/clarify which weapons you are referring to.

12 Mar 2018, 15:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Mar 2018, 14:53 PMVipper

The information that small arms have bonus accuracy vs snipers is misleading. Pls elaborate/clarify which weapons you are referring to.

No.
You know what I'm talking about perfectly well as you can read it in the post you've quoted.
12 Mar 2018, 16:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Mar 2018, 15:30 PMKatitof

No.
You know what I'm talking about perfectly well as you can read it in the post you've quoted.

So according to you all small arms have x115% accuracy vs snipers, for quite some time now?

Because that is what you wrote.
12 Mar 2018, 16:08 PM

One thing is obviously true: 222 absolutely sucks against sniper, against the Soviet ones a bit more than against the British one.
12 Mar 2018, 16:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Mar 2018, 16:07 PMVipper

So according to you all small arms have x115% accuracy vs snipers, for quite some time now?

Because that is what you wrote.

Then I am sorry, I have over estimated you.
After all, you do not know what I am talking about and despite me giving a clear value, you are unable to read it correctly.

Previously I thought you understand stats you post, now I know you do not.
I will not make a mistake of accusing you of actually having a clue on what you're talking about again.

Please go back to your databases and dictionaries and leave balance issues to grown ups who understand stats, can read and interpret them correctly.

I am also going to be helpful to you as given past days, you seem to be the only one around these boards who actually really do struggle in understanding units and meaning behind their stats, so I am going to point you out here:

https://www.coh2.org/guides/categories

Where you should be able to educate yourself on the basics of the game, so you won't be asking everyone to explain everything to you in every second post.

While studying the guides, please be aware that people who wrote them did not had your personal lexicon with them when writing all the terms, so try not to get a heart attack over that.
12 Mar 2018, 16:37 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

That is some interesting info, that I did actually not know, but I'm not sure how this fits into my original question? :)

You are correct, ofc. :D I was partly responding to katitof - but I also thought if this information was needed elsewhere. e.g. for a Guide, it would be helpful if as much information on the same subject was referenced in the same thread.;)
12 Mar 2018, 16:46 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

On the Moderation side...we currently have two very assiduous reporters, who frequently report each other and a third party. The third party remains aloof from the fray, which is good.

I could invis the two reported posts here, which I guess would be 'victory' to each reporter :*( - and the third party would be sinned against but not 'sinning', if that is the correct description to apply to over-reporting.

TL:DR Robust discussion is fine. But please! Desist from using the report button as a snide way of flaming, or trying to win an argument without posting a rebuttal post.
12 Mar 2018, 17:14 PM

Just add the report for baiting so I won't have to reply in future and leave the posts here intact, I had fun writing them and I know people will have fun reading them :romeoHype:
12 Mar 2018, 17:41 PM

a better counter to soviet sniper is double mortar honestly

edit: dont forget to stack mortar accuracy bulletins too
12 Mar 2018, 17:47 PM

Do not listen to this person, continue to use 222s.

please.
12 Mar 2018, 17:48 PM

Wow this debate certainly deteriorated into the gutter faster than I anticipated o_O

Anyways I so not recall the pre-patch 222 which apparantly was too strong against snipers, but from my personal experience I would argue that it seems to be a bit on the weak side at the moment. I appears to me that the scout car was basically intended as a sniper hunter considering it's long detection range and frankly being pretty average at everything else and having quite a slim window as the apex predator. So in this regard I think it could possibly be a tad bit stronger at chasing retreating squads, as it is still a risky endeavour.

Just my two cents on the matter, but I don't think they are broken by any means and overall I'm really enjoying the current balance :)
12 Mar 2018, 18:09 PM

Also, don't play okw.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak