Login

russian armor

Multi-entity ability caster

28 Jan 2018, 21:05 PM

So when a squad is ordered to fire an ability (e.g. a grenade), it is either one guy or all of them that fire that ability (regular grenade vs. assault grenades). And sure enough, that's what your options are under the squad_caster selection: one entity, all entities or squad, though it doesn't seem like squad does anything.

Anyway, what do i do if i want two entities to fire the given ability? I tried just copy pasting the given use_accessory_weapon action, but that doesn't work. I also tried pasting it under end_target in the action list, but that just makes the same entity try to do it again. What i want is for two different entities to fire the same ability, at the same time from the start.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?
29 Jan 2018, 19:59 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

So when a squad is ordered to fire an ability (e.g. a grenade), it is either one guy or all of them that fire that ability (regular grenade vs. assault grenades). And sure enough, that's what your options are under the squad_caster selection: one entity, all entities or squad, though it doesn't seem like squad does anything.

Anyway, what do i do if i want two entities to fire the given ability? I tried just copy pasting the given use_accessory_weapon action, but that doesn't work. I also tried pasting it under end_target in the action list, but that just makes the same entity try to do it again. What i want is for two different entities to fire the same ability, at the same time from the start.

Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

You could try using a dummy slot item (give two to the squad) and then add a requirement for the casting entities for the slot item. The problem with this approach is that if you have a squad already equipped with a slot weapon would have problems with slot item priority, eg. if your grenadier squad is carrying 2 g43s, you have 4 slot items on 4 members and if someone carrying a dummy grenade slot item dies, the others are already equipped with g43s and thus using the ability would only throw one grenade because only one squad member still alive has the grenade slot item. Likewise, if the two G43 guys die, the remaining two will not pick up the G43s because they are armed with extra grenades.

However, a potential workaround specifically with G43s (and double shrecks too, as well as any other "double" weapon upgrade) is you can add the G43 slot item as a requirement. This would cause only those models armed with G43/shreck to throw the grenades, but it would get rid of the headache of slot item conflicts.

You can potentially do something similar with single weapons like the LMG42 by combining adding a dummy slot item in conjunction with forcing the upgraded model to also fulfill the requirement, but on LMGs you want to stay still so it can keep shooting rather than wasting DPS by throwing a grenade.
29 Jan 2018, 23:11 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The use accessory weapon should work if its applied to the squad. Im pretty sure you can apply a max amount of casters there.
30 Jan 2018, 21:10 PM

The ability i'm testing with is already set to squad caster, and the ability is linked to a squad rather than individual entities. Where can i find that max amount you mention?
8 Feb 2018, 15:16 PM

12 Feb 2018, 10:00 AM
Modmaker Badge

I tried something similar long time ago for Wikinger but I fail. I wanted to do the grenade ability casted by two men in the squad. Sadly I fail to achive it but I had for sometime something like the follow.

. You could try to have more than 1 ebps in your squad. For example 4 or 5, depending how many men has your squad.

. Give to all of them the ability casted by squad except one of them.

. One of them should have the entity casted ability

This way your ability will works fine if you not lose the man with the "entity casted ability"

To compensate that I give more hitpoints to this particular entity then most of the time dies at the end and the ability works ok.
I think I did something like this, just dont have now the ability in my mod. Try to toy around it. I hope it could help you.

Regards
Olhausen
18 Feb 2018, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. About the suggestion to depend on one entity being alive, i'd rather do without that dependency and just have it work consistently, as i've set caster to all entities now. What could go wrong with 10 AT grenades being fired at once :D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★