Login

russian armor

Editing motiontree's recommended?

23 Jan 2018, 08:29 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Hi all,

I'd like to add some additional weapons to the newmotiontree and the completemotiontree so all units can use them. It all seems to work so far, but does anyone know if this has impact on the performance? I guess Relic had their reasons to link the weapons per model and not to give every model access to all weapons. I actually want to have them for one faction only, but that requires to edit ±10 abp's instead of 1.

Do you have any experience with this?
24 Jan 2018, 00:15 AM
Honorary Member Badge

When the meshes are hidden by visibility or similar states, they aren't technically being rendered AFAIK. So, as long as you aren't showing every single weapon at the same time it shouldn't impact performance.

That being said, however, there are other reasons you wouldn't want to add every single weapon to either tree. For example, some visibility states conflict with each other, like the StG 44 and StG 44 Infrared, or the M1 Rifle and M1C Sniper Rifle. They share the same visibility state and so the last one loaded is the one used. These could be easily fixed if we had the Object Editor and 3DS Max plugins.

Also, there is very little reason to use completemotiontree. I would just switch everything over to newmotiontree for the new animations.

Personally, I just made a commongear.abp and commonsync.abp for each faction.
24 Jan 2018, 07:07 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jan 2018, 00:15 AMeliw00d
Also, there is very little reason to use completemotiontree. I would just switch everything over to newmotiontree for the new animations.

Personally, I just made a commongear.abp and commonsync.abp for each faction.

Thanks for your response! The weapons which I added don't conflict (boys and kar riflegrenade), but it's a risk indeed. I haven't cloned all soldier abp's, so the older default files still use the completemotiontree. I've cloned the completemotiontree however, and it's now exactly the same as the newmotiontree. I know, I'm lazy ;)

It's smart to make these additional abp files per factions, but that would also require to clone every soldier abp.

I will keep your ideas in mind for whenever I get issues. Then I just need to take the time to clone everthing :thumb:
24 Jan 2018, 14:55 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Aye, there's no reason to not use a catch-all file for a faction. CoH1 did it without any drop in performance. As for conflicting weapons, those are very rare, and usually happen only for addons to weapons, as relic was too lazy to add the addon state to the weapon itself.

As for the animations, I would keep the old animations around just in case. Certain slot weapons, like the PTRS, seem to get slightly buggy with the new animations. We had this issue with the December patch, with certain models t-posing with the new animations.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★